Gillifans discussion

Gilliflowers (Memoirs of a Houseboy, #4)
This topic is about Gilliflowers
Buddy reads > Gilliflowers **spoilers**

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Danni, Spoogegirl / Mrs Brown (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danni | 136 comments Mod
Buddy read away...

Wickedvixen | 7 comments Hi guys - what are we allowed to discuss in this thread?
Do we assume that the books has been read by all or put in spoiler hides?

message 3: by Danni, Spoogegirl / Mrs Brown (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danni | 136 comments Mod
Wickedvixen wrote: "Hi guys - what are we allowed to discuss in this thread?
Do we assume that the books has been read by all or put in spoiler hides?"

Hi Vixen, it's pretty laid back here (i.e. there is a very lazy moderator for this group) so you can kind of discuss whatever you want. As the whole thread is marked with *spoilers* I wouldn't worry too much about hiding spoilers. Soooo, anything you want to talk about relating to this book, feel free to post here.

Wickedvixen | 7 comments Danni wrote: "Wickedvixen wrote: "Hi guys - what are we allowed to discuss in this thread?
Do we assume that the books has been read by all or put in spoiler hides?"

Hi Vixen, it's pretty laid back here (i.e. t..."

Hi, yeah! Just wondering if anyone had a negative reaction to the caning scene in this book? Possibly I read more into it (hehe), but it seemed Shane went a bit overboard? This punishment felt more debasing somehow given how scared Gilli was. Any thoughts?

message 5: by Jenny (last edited Jul 19, 2013 05:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny | 30 comments I think the caning was something that Gilli needed, because after the caning he was calm and Dick did a drawing of him after the incident and titled it "Gilli At Peace." I loved the drawings Dick did of Gilli and can't wait to find out what Shane's reaction to them.

Gilli said in book one that the first caning he ever received was because of Leo. I don't remember if Gilli ever said why he was caned. Anyone recall?

Vivian Jillybean and Heather: READY to Go?

Vivian Ladies, Monday/Tuesday it is for GO. See you here...and everyone else wanting in.

Bree Cheese  (bree-cheese) | 22 comments I've already read this, but I'll be here to see what everyone thought:)

message 9: by Danni, Spoogegirl / Mrs Brown (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danni | 136 comments Mod
Bree Cheese wrote: "I've already read this, but I'll be here to see what everyone thought:)"

Me too. I'll definitely be dropping in to see how you all get on.

Macky (mactut) | 142 comments Danni wrote: "Bree Cheese wrote: "I've already read this, but I'll be here to see what everyone thought:)"

Me too. I'll definitely be dropping in to see how you all get on."

Hey hun. Have you checked your PM's .... Sorry about yesterday, missed you by 30 mins! :)

Vivian Aaahhh...yes, Penny. Bloody hell.
2% (view spoiler)

Perfect example of why I'm not in the hospitality business.

Vivian Jesus. *tears in my eyes, laughing*

Geese

Macky (mactut) | 142 comments Oh I do miss Gilli ! :D

Vivian Going to strangle Shane--3% in and he's already showing a blatant disregard for the dynamics at play, that will trundle on whether he LIKES it or not. Being head Dom won't mean diddley-squat.

Vivian Macky wrote: "Oh I do miss Gilli ! :D"

Time to revisit him.

Macky (mactut) | 142 comments Soon Vivian... Soon! ;)

Bree Cheese  (bree-cheese) | 22 comments Vivian wrote: "Going to strangle Shane--3% in and he's already showing a blatant disregard for the dynamics at play, that will trundle on whether he LIKES it or not. Being head Dom won't mean diddley-squat."

There were so many times that I said poor Gilli in this book all because of Shane!! Grrrr.

Vivian 8% done (view spoiler)

Vivian OMG. Ridiculously funny--(view spoiler)

Vivian Shane being humanly decent and kind AND Smiling? Surely, the apocalypse is upon us.

Vivian So far my favourite, and also Dick’s, is Russian Caravan tea.

I love Russian Caravan. Great taste, don't need milk and not as overbearing as Earl Grey can be with all the bergamot. Of course, on an average day when I just want a cuppa--I go with the PG Tips.

Vivian Shane DOES have a heart!

(view spoiler)

Bree Cheese  (bree-cheese) | 22 comments Vivian wrote: "Shane DOES have a heart!"

But he needs to use it more!!

Vivian wrote: "I love Russian Caravan. Great taste, don't need milk and not as overbearing as Earl Grey can be with all the bergamot. Of course, on a..."

Never had Russian Caravan, but i'm totally curious now. My go to is Yorkshire.

Vivian Agreed about Shane.

I want to kill Penny--

Re: tea
I don't think I've had Yorkshire. Who markets it and what's the flavor profile?

Bree Cheese  (bree-cheese) | 22 comments It's a dark black tea similar to English Breakfast, but I think it has bit more flavor the breakfast tea. It's a common tea here that you can pick up in the market when you visit to give it a try:)

Vivian Bree Cheese wrote: "It's a dark black tea similar to English Breakfast, but I think it has bit more flavor the breakfast tea. It's a common tea here that you can pick up in the market when you visit to give it a try:)"

Hopefully not starting an diplomatic incident--but, is it similar to Irish Breakfast? Which I do love, too.

message 27: by Jill (last edited Aug 20, 2013 10:11AM) (new) - added it

Jill | 25 comments aaahh! so sorry, so sorry. I'm still not ready. School started this week, so I'm back to the classroom. and I got caught up in all the mm celebration fun. I'll be ready soon, promise

message 28: by Vivian (last edited Aug 20, 2013 10:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vivian Yeah...yeah. Saw your pervy poetry. Nice. I won twice. The Judge a Book by Its Cover is hysterical too.

Bree Cheese  (bree-cheese) | 22 comments @ Vivian - I am not a tea expert, definitely more of a coffee drinker, but I had Irish Breakfast last week and really enjoyed it. I think if you like that you will probably like Yorkshire. Perhaps someone with more tea knowledge is on this thread?

message 30: by Danni, Spoogegirl / Mrs Brown (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danni | 136 comments Mod
Bree Cheese wrote: "@ Vivian - I am not a tea expert, definitely more of a coffee drinker, but I had Irish Breakfast last week and really enjoyed it. I think if you like that you will probably like Yorkshire. Perhaps ..."

Haha, l'm a PG tips fan meself. Just not Tetley - tastes of cabbage.

Vivian I'm an equally opportunity caffeine person. In the US, I generally spend the first half of the day drinking coffee and the second drinking tea, unless I'm sick and then it's chamomile/mint tea with loads of honey--I pretend I'm Peter Rabbit.

I do make iced teas out of some of my Japanese teas especially.

Vivian 73% I can relate to Gilli perfectly on this one:

I have a free wheeling mind with dodgy brakes.

Vivian I finished this one and waiting for you all to discuss. I was surprised by this one and not surprised in the least that there has not been another one.

So want to talk...

message 34: by Vivian (last edited Aug 22, 2013 11:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vivian Finished and my REVIEW here.

I need to discuss symbolism and analogies: birds and flowers

message 35: by KatieMc (new) - added it

KatieMc (katiemcsantamonica) | 6 comments Vivian wrote: "I need to discuss symbolism and analogies: birds and flowers"

I hate to bring it up, but what about (view spoiler)?

Bree Cheese  (bree-cheese) | 22 comments Nice review Vivian. I read all four books in one go so it's hard for me to separate them out. I loved the ending for this one - with Dick's gift to Gilli. But I did really miss the humor of the first two books. I realize that this is a bit of a different book then others and there is a lot of growth in the relationship here, I just think some of the humor that I feel in love with in the first two could have been mixed in a bit more.

Are we talking spoilers now or waiting for people to finish?

Vivian SPOILERS!
I think Heather and Jillybean have had fair warning from me

Vivian KatieMc wrote: "Vivian wrote: "I need to discuss symbolism and analogies: birds and flowers"

I hate to bring it up, but what about [spoilers removed]?"

Aaahhh...the pigeon. That was particularly brutal coming right after his luncheon with his mum, especially since he was finally acknowledging that she was going to die shortly.

Vivian I still found a lot of humor in the book, but it had an edge.

His balls have a Tardis quality. They look a normal size on the outside, but inside they’re vast chasms holding enough love juice to fertilise an entire planet.

If he were a tomcat we’d have had him neutered by now to prevent him impregnating every pussy from Land’s End to John O Groats. Britain would be awash with billions of furry little kittidicks.

He doesn’t tolerate entries along the lines of: my brain popped a fuse today, must have been the five lines of coke I snorted, knew I should have stuck to Pepsi.

I guess they get fewer and fewer as the story goes on.

Bree Cheese  (bree-cheese) | 22 comments I suppose I should say that I didn't laugh out loud. All the books were funny, this one just didn't crack me up like the first two. Probably my own fault for reading them back-to-back. Should have taken a break inbetween them. That being said I still enjoyed the book.

You mentioned that you were surprised there hasn't been another one. Do you think this is the last book?

message 41: by Danni, Spoogegirl / Mrs Brown (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danni | 136 comments Mod
Bree Cheese wrote: "You mentioned that you were surprised there hasn't been another one. Do you think this is the last book? "

There's another one out soon - Revelations.

message 42: by Danni, Spoogegirl / Mrs Brown (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danni | 136 comments Mod
Vivian, I saw that in your review you felt that there were more indications that Gilli was loved and that he was truly part of the relationship and less of an outsider than he had been.

It's a long time since I read this one, but I remember being really angry with Shane (and Dick) in Gilliflowers about the way they treated Gilli still. I didn't get the feeling that they were letting him in at all. Things like them drinking in front of him I thought were cruel, especially with it being early days in his drink ban.

I'm just interested because a few reviews have said this book showed a softer side to Shane, but I felt like I went the other way. He just makes me soooo mad!!! I dunno, I don't think I'm ever going to 'get' Shane.

message 43: by Vivian (last edited Aug 23, 2013 09:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vivian I can happily point out several instances of the shift in behavior. There are multiple times when Shane grabs Gilli for a cuddle in his lap or mock spanking while Gilli is laughing at him.

I have carefully stored away my Valentine cards, my first, but hopefully not my last.

Brown, Gillibran (2012-09-19). Gilliflowers, Bonds of Affection, Memoirs of a Houseboy 2008 (Kindle Location 1320). Houseboy Works/Gillibran Brown. Kindle Edition.

This punishment scene shows how much Shane cared, pay attention to the touching:
This isn’t play. It’s discipline. Your safe word doesn’t apply. Why did you use it?”

“I don’t like it, Daddy. I feel panicky.”

“Because you’re breathing too fast. You’ve worked yourself into a lather.” He began to massage my neck and shoulders with his big warm hands. “Slow it down, come on, take a deep breath in through your nose, hold it a moment…good boy…now out through your mouth…and again.”

Brown, Gillibran (2012-09-19). Gilliflowers, Bonds of Affection, Memoirs of a Houseboy 2008 (Kindle Locations 4655-4658). Houseboy Works/Gillibran Brown. Kindle Edition.

“You’re a great big baby and a spoiled one. Dick has ruined you.” He kissed the top of my head, peeled me away from his body and gave me a little push. “Go and have a shower, bad puppy. You smell like overripe Camembert. It isn’t nice.”

Brown, Gillibran (2012-09-19). Gilliflowers, Bonds of Affection, Memoirs of a Houseboy 2008 (Kindle Locations 4669-4670). Houseboy Works/Gillibran Brown. Kindle Edition.

I'll be back for more--require coffee to process and explain

ONE note: drinking. Unless things have dramatically changed since I was living in England, drinking is a major component of life; therefore, to expect that they would all go cold turkey with him was unrealistic AND in the end anyone that has to give up something has to learn to do it by themselves or it won't stick.

Is is cruel? Perhaps. But, life is cruel. When you want to cry other people still smile and laugh. I think Shane and Dick just figure the crash through the wall approach was the only way to go with Gilli. I might have done it differently, but then I'm REALLY NOT a domestic discipline personality. I prefer to let others learn by trial and error.

Vivian I feel Dick's gift of the sketches for Christmas were really significant. Usually, the guys gets something that just speaks between Dick and Shane or something expensive. But, this gift was two-fold. Dick used the pastels Gilli had gotten him for his birthday to create the sketches and the sketches were ALL kinds of moments reflecting the different moods of Gilli, good and less admirable :)

A present from Dick to Shane showcasing Gilli. like he is, not how they think he should be.

message 45: by Danni, Spoogegirl / Mrs Brown (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danni | 136 comments Mod
Oh man, I'm so rude. I asked you about Shane's softer side and then I didn't actually reply! Sorry.

Yeah, you got me, there is somewhat of a softer side to Shane, but I think I'm never really going to get there with him. Maybe it's the refusal to say the l word that bugs me, or maybe it's the whole Achilles thing with the civil partnership, but I always see a certain dismissiveness in Shane, as though Gilli is a bit of an afterthought.

With regards to the drinking, I wouldn't have expected them all go to cold turkey, but I just think a bit of sensitivity to what a big deal it was to Gilli would have been helpful. I felt like they practically flaunted their drinking in front of him.

message 46: by Anke (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anke Finally finished last night - and yes, I think Shane is still a bit aloof with regard to Gilli. And the whole drinking topic could have been done better, so that Gilli would have been able to accept it easier. It obviously is a big thing among his friends and family and I can totally understand that he feels like showing another thing setting him apart besides being gay and I felt sorry for him that the men folk just didn't get it! Same with the looming death of his mother! Don't they know it or don't they just didn't care? And then to make such a huge thing about the Christmas card - poor Gilli! Well, I hope we won't have to wait too long for the next book:)

Vivian I guess I just figured that Gilli would slant the perspective on events and the drinking was important thing for him;therefore, he brought it up and when it annoyed him most. Obviously, he was struggling and it shows with the diary entries, but I don't think that means Dick and Shane were boozing it up to rub it in.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I know Gilli has issues with his seizures, but I kind of want him to just stop taking his medicine despite what his Daddy's say. It would be disastrous altogether, but I feel so bad for poor Gilli's face! :(

Vivian It's hard when something that's helping you has side effects and/or changes lifestyles, especially when Shane and Dick weren't terribly understanding. Cold turkey seemed perfectly reasonable to them.

It's like having someone on a diet always having chocolates, cake, and pastries around but told they just can't eat it. Not very supportive.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes! I feel terrible for him. There has to be a drug that doesn't affect him so horribly.

« previous 1