2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2013 > Felicia' 25 books in 2013

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicia (last edited Jul 12, 2014 06:55AM) (new)

Felicia (feliciajoe) | 556 comments My goal in 2013 is to read 25 books. Since I'm starting this group in June, I have already read 13 of them, and here are my finishing dates and short reviews of them:

1. J.K. Rowling: Quidditch Through the Ages (finished Jan 14)
3 stars. Read in English.

For a Harry Potter-fan who wish she knew how to fly on a broomstick so she could play Quidditch, this book is awesome. It’s very easy to read, and it brings a smile to your face.

2. J.K. Rowling: The Tales of Beedle the Bard (finished Jan 15)
5 stars. Read in English.

I read this with my flatmate five nights before we went to bed, and even though I’m 21 years old, I slept a lot better after having heard a fairytale from J.K. Rowling – especially with Albus Dumbledore’s clever little comments.

3. J.K. Rowling: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (finished Jan 31)

Although I love how J.K. Rowling has continued the Harry Potter experience for us by writing three small books from the universe, this one is not the best. It’s fun to hear about all the beasts mentioned in the Harry Potter books, but I must admit, I got tired half way through.

4. Judith Schalansky: Der Hals der Giraffe (finished Feb 13)
1 star. Read in Danish.

I hated this book. It might have something to do with the fact that the main character is a biology teacher, and I always hated biology, though I think the real reason is that nothing happens at all during the entire book.

5. Marvin Carlson: Performance: A critical introduction (finished Feb 26)
2 stars. Read in English.

This is one of the many books I have read for university studies. It’s quite good if you’re interested in performance. Though don’t read it in one day, like I did.

6. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry: The Little Prince (finished Mar 5)
5 stars. Read in English.

So good! Read it, if you haven’t!
For full review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

7. Bernard Beckett: Genesis (finished Mar 18)
3 stars. Read in Danish.

I wasn’t too impressed with this book, but the ending surprised just enough to earn it one more star than I originially had in mind.

8. Patrice Pavis: Analyzing Performance (finished Mar 27)

Another of my university books. If you find yourself in a situation where you need to analyze a performance, this is the book to read. I’m serious, it got me an A on my exam.

9. Michael Eigtved: Forestillingsanalyse – en introduktion (finished Apr 2)
3 stars. Read in Danish.

Reading this book contributed to my A, along with Pavis.

10. J.R.R. Tolkien: The Lord of the Rings 3: The Return of the King (finished Apr 26)
4 stars. Read in Danish.

I love The Lord of the Rings. I’ve seen the movies a 1000 times, but the books are even better. In the end, there is a awesome battle of the Shire. That wasn’t in the movies.

11. Friedrich Schiller: Røverne (finished May 26)
3 stars. Read in Danish.

Before I read this text, I had seen the stage production which was amazing. So I was a bit disappointed in the text. But when is a dramatic text ever as good as the stage production?

12. Anett Ahrends & Henrik Lydding: Pantomimeteatret (finished May 31)
4 stars. Read in Danish.

Copenhagen is the home of Tivoli, and Tivoli is the home of Denmark’s only Pantomime. And I love the Pantomime, and the stories about Harlekin. Harlekin is my all time favorite character in the theatre history ever. That’s why I loved this book about the old Pantomime. I enjoyed the reading about the history of it, the everyday life of its performers, the different kind of stories and ballets, and I loved looking at the pictures.

13. Tara Gilesbie: My Immortal (finished Jun 1)
1 star. Read in English.

I didn’t know whether to give this Harry Potter fanfiction 1 og 5 stars, because it’s horrible, but it is hilarious. I mostly read this as a joke with my two friends. And it was a joke. But seriously, read it. It’s too damn funny. Apparently everyone in Hogwarts are goth now, including our favorite trio who have all changed their names and moved to Slytherin.

And right now I’m reading J.K. Rowling’s new book, The Casual Vacancy. It might take me some time to finish it.

message 2: by Felicia (last edited Jul 12, 2014 06:51AM) (new)

Felicia (feliciajoe) | 556 comments 14. J.K. Rowling: The Casual Vacancy (finished July 10)
4 stars. Read in English.

Wauw. It was really difficult to read this book at the beginning. I kept confusing all the names, but after a couple of chapters you get a hold it. It's not Harry Potter, so don't expect it to be. It's social realism, happening in a little English town called Pagford. Barry Fairbrother has just died, leaving an empty seat for the town council, and this starts a war between the citizens of Pagford. Who will take over his seat?

The book is extremely well-written, and even though I disliked most of the character(with the exception of Krystal Weedon and Gaia Bawden), you understand their choices because the story is told from everybody's perspective.

Read it. It's awesome.

message 3: by Felicia (last edited Apr 08, 2014 02:21AM) (new)

Felicia (feliciajoe) | 556 comments 15. Ulf Stark: Min vän sjejken i Stureby (finished July 19)
1 star. Read in Danish.

This book sucks hard!
This summer I voluntered at a youth camp for kids who come from homes that don't really work(parents who're drunk all the time and so on). I read this book out loud for them as a good-night story. It took about four nights. Because it was so terribly boring, the kids fell asleep right away.
Mission accomplished.

message 4: by Felicia (last edited Jul 12, 2014 06:31AM) (new)

Felicia (feliciajoe) | 556 comments 16. J.R.R. Tolkien: The Legend of Sigurd & Gudrún (finished Aug 11)
2 stars. Read in Danish/English.

Hmm, what to say about this book? It's in verses. I really liked that the Danish version of the books also had the English verses, because I like reading it in English, but when it got too dificult, I could just do it in Danish.
Even so, it got kind of boring really quickly, and I mostly read it as I waited for people to respond to my comments here on goodreads.
So two stars. Because I read it through without wanting to kill myself, though I would not recommend it to others.

message 5: by Felicia (last edited Jun 04, 2015 02:05AM) (new)

Felicia (feliciajoe) | 556 comments 17. Anne Middelboe Christensen: Begejstring og brutalitet - en guide til anmelderens rolle (finished Aug 22)
2 stars. Read in Danish.

I feel a bit weird reviewing a book about how to review. I read it because I briefly toyed with the idea of reviewing theatre, but I quickly gave up on that idea. Still, I read the whole thing, and though there is one part that is really useful, the rest of the book is more or less unnecessary.

18. F. Scott Fitzgerald: The Great Gatsby (finished Aug 25)

I loved this book! It's not my usual style, but it was really good. The ending got me all emotional, and I don't even know how it did it. I couldn't sleep afterwards. So good.

message 6: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3945 comments That's how I felt at the end of Gatsby as well!

message 7: by Felicia (last edited Nov 30, 2013 02:53PM) (new)

Felicia (feliciajoe) | 556 comments 19. August Strindberg: Miss Julie (finished Oct 24)
4 stars. Read in Danish.

I loved it. It's the second play by Strindberg I've read, and it's awesome. I actually like miss Julie even though I'm not sure we're actually supposed to.

20. August Strindberg: The Father (finished Oct 27)
3 stars. Read in Danish.

It wasn't quite as good as Miss Julie, but it was good enough. It was a three-act play which Strindberg later dropped as he began making one-act plays, and I gotta say I like the one-act style more. But the over-all story was good. Strindberg really hated women which I on princple hate him for, but all that aside, his plays are pretty good.

21. August Strindberg: The Ghost Sonata (finished Oct 27)
3 stars. Read in Danish.

Really fucking strange. Much stranger than A Dream Play. God, how am I ever gonna analyze this one? But good though, once you read it twice.

message 8: by Felicia (last edited Dec 06, 2013 04:01PM) (new)

Felicia (feliciajoe) | 556 comments 22. Jeff Kinney: Diary of a Wimpy Kid (finished Nov 30)

Was four stars too little? Should it be five? I'm still laughing! Lovely journal(definitely not a diary!) from a middle school boy with very much insight in the life of a wimpy middle school boy. Love it!

message 9: by Felicia (last edited Nov 30, 2013 03:07PM) (new)

Felicia (feliciajoe) | 556 comments In the beginning of the year, I made a list of five books I wanted to read in this year:
The Return of the King
The Casual Vacancy
The Pillars of the Earth
World Without End
The Book Thief

I read two of them... The Casual Vacancy and The Return of the King...
Well done, Felicia.
Next year it is! And let's add to that list:
Alice in Zombieland and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

message 10: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments lol. I hope you get to read the three you didn't read this year (:

message 11: by Felicia (last edited Dec 06, 2013 04:00PM) (new)

Felicia (feliciajoe) | 556 comments Haha, yeah, so do I!

23. Jeff Kinney: Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2: Rodrick Rules (finished Dec 06)

I love it just as much as the first one!

message 12: by Felicia (new)

Felicia (feliciajoe) | 556 comments 24. August Strindberg: Memorandum (finished: Dec 08)
3 stars. Read in Swedish.

Strindberg's memorandum to the actors at Intima Teatern, one of his manifests about how to make theatre. A read worth if you're interested in that sort of thing.

One book left now!

message 13: by Felicia (last edited Feb 11, 2014 09:38AM) (new)

Felicia (feliciajoe) | 556 comments NOOOOOO! I didn't get to finish it! I only read 24 books! DAMN! First uncompleted challened for three years.

message 14: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 1083 comments that's ok!!! I didn't finish mine last year either

message 15: by Sabreen (new)

Sabreen | 53 comments I'd say 24/25 is a pretty good score :)

message 16: by Felicia (new)

Felicia (feliciajoe) | 556 comments Best book in 2013: The Little Prince