What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Cookbooks that make good gifts

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tess (new)

Tess | 439 comments Hi! I'm looking for a hostess gift for several women who are throwing me a bridal shower. I read a cute idea of giving them cute wooden spoon and a cookbook, but don't know how to find a good one.
I'm looking for something that has a general appeal and probably has nice pictures rather than lots of steps (Joy of Cooking is a great reference, but so boring to give!).
Suggestions are much appreciated. Also, there are multiple hostesses, so maybe I could get several different ones?

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 147 comments Check out Jamie Oliver's Meals in Minutes: A Revolutionary Approach to Cooking Good Food Fast. It has beautiful pictures which actually show you what to do and the recipes are outstanding. The idea is to make the entire meal using Jamie's shortcuts and ideas but I rarely use it this way. I often just take one recipe and make that. Tomato soup, pasta, piri piri chicken, chicken satay - these recipes are delicious and the book is beautiful.

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 606 comments do they have any specific that they like to make - main dishes; desserts; cakes - I would go that route that just buying any cookbook - because you want them to enjoy it and use it

message 4: by Tess (new)

Tess | 439 comments I actually don't know them that well to make something they like or make.
Thanks for the Jamie Oliver suggestion!

message 5: by Tess (new)

Tess | 439 comments I actually don't know them that well to make something they like or make.
Thanks for the Jamie Oliver suggestion!

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 606 comments The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl - she seems to be fairly popular right now

Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook: Real Food for Real Life - I use a lot of recipes off her website and love them

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
The Pasta Revolution
Saw this at the library and not only does it look incredibly useful, but it's full of nice photos. I want it for myself. It's by the America's Test Kitchen people.

message 8: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments This one has lots of pictures, and it comes with a DVD as well. I've heard good things about it:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31...

message 9: by Tess (new)

Tess | 439 comments These are great suggestions. I'm going to check them out. I have many hosts, so maybe I'll get several!

message 10: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 5 comments A variation on the cookbook idea -- Ruth Reichl's memoir Tender at the Bone: Growing Up at the Table is a fantastic read with recipes accompanying each story.

It contains a story about making the items served at family friend's wedding so it'd have a nice echo in that sense. Reichl is the former NY Times restaurant critic and editor of Gourmet magazine so she knows food, but more important -- these are great stories about friends and family with approachable recipes for home cooks. And the fried chicken recipe alone is worth the price of the book.

She's written other memoirs with the same concept in mind, but this is my favorite and a favorite to give as a gift.

message 11: by Clackamas (new)

Clackamas | 22 comments Easy Microwave Desserts in a Mug: 3rd edition is a nice, simple cookbook that makes a cute gift when put together with a mug and a spoon or fork.

message 12: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 595 comments COOKING by James Peterson; great book with step by step pictures. 2007
ISBN: 978-1580087896

I have this book, his baking one, and sauces ones; I use the baking and cooking ones all the time.

message 13: by Tess (new)

Tess | 439 comments Thank you all for the suggestions!