Beyond Reality discussion

Iain M. Banks
This topic is about Iain M. Banks
General SF&F discussion > RIP Iain M. Banks: 1954-2013

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Iain M. Banks (who also wrote as Iain Banks for his non-sf work) has passed away due to cancer.

Tor.com has a memorial article here.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 479 comments Even though he announced his illness not long ago, I held out the miniscule hope that he would somehow get the better of it. So now that his death is a reality, I am again saddened.

Oddly, I just listened to a sermon this morning by an ordained Methodist minister who is currently employed as a grief counselor. His recommendations included the following: Don't be afraid to call it what it is, i.e., death. Don't ever fail to talk about the person who died by name and be sure to keep their memory alive by doing so.

I've read everything he ever wrote about the Culture as well as his wonderful semi-autobiographical book Raw Spirit, which I would recommend to anyone interested in finding out more about Iain Banks, the person. I have an unread copy of The Wasp Factory on my TBR shelf. that will be my next read.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Far too early, this is so sad :(

A great loss.

message 4: by Helen (new)

Helen That is sad.

message 5: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments Shoot.

message 6: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3030 comments Mod
I, too, thought he would have more time, even after he announced that he had cancer. But cancer progression can be unpredictable and I think his death came sooner than many expected. I have only read about 3 of the Culture books but I will be reading the rest over time. The universe is a bit emptier.

message 7: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 965 comments Kathi wrote: "I, too, thought he would have more time, even after he announced that he had cancer. But cancer progression can be unpredictable and I think his death came sooner than many expected. I have only read about 3 of the Culture books but I will be reading the rest over time."

As will I. The universe IS a bit emptier, but the Culture books (as well as his "gothics") give us all something to look forward to savoring.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 479 comments From another source, his last interview:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/...

message 9: by Darion (new)

Darion D'Anjou (dariondanjou) | 1 comments ouch. that hurt us.

message 10: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3030 comments Mod
Jim wrote: "From another source, his last interview:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/..."

Thank you for sharing that link.