Speaker Geeks! discussion

Religious Debates > Religion in School

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sierra (new)

Sierra (skippingstones4) I was just wondering what you guys think of religion in school. I got to wondering after this happened:

So at the end of the school year at my school, the seniors who are in art get to paint a brick on one of the classroom walls to "leave their mark". Well, one girl painted a hill with crosses on it and a sunset and my art teacher asked me to paint over the crosses and try to blend them into the sunset because of the whole "no religion in the schools thing".

Personally, I think that it's stupid. At school you should be able to express yourself, especially in art class. Society is always pushing for us to be ourselves, but when religion is involved they pretty much condemn it. That's just my opinion. What do you guys think?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that's stupid, too... its not like that girl was trying to force anyone to be her religion!!! She was just expressing herself. I'd be fine with seeing a few things of other religions as long as it didn't only show one religion.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Liane wrote: "My university is secular; we are not the mouthpiece of any sort of religion and it is strictly not allowed for profs or any sort of employee affliated with the university to show their religion. I ..."

Well.... i think that'd make more sense, at least. If the staff showed favor for one religion... I don't know but then they could try to influence other people, and I don't think that should be allowed. BUT students showing their religion should be okay :)

message 4: by Lo, I'm a waste of time (new)

Lo (darkalleycookies) | 563 comments Mod
If you go to a religious school, then by all means, go ahead.

But if you go to a school with people of different religions, like a public schools, then nobody wants you forcing their religion on them.

message 5: by Dion, Keep calm and debate your topic (new)

Dion (my_booklove) | 446 comments Mod
I think that it depends on your school. I think if you go to a religious school then there should be a good religious education, because you go there specifically for that.

But in general? I think that it's important to learn about religions because it's the different cultural backgrounds of lots of different people. I think that it's good to learn about what different people think, and even if you personally don't believe in it I think it's important to understand it.

message 6: by Ella (new)

Ella (AWholeLotofNothing) | 386 comments @Lia
What university do you go to?

message 7: by Ella (new)

Ella (AWholeLotofNothing) | 386 comments Well I think religion is fine as long as no one is trying to force it on anyone. Because in the big picture, there are so many religions in the world other than christianity and people need to learn to accept that.

message 8: by Leah, I'm HI-larious! (Head Mod) (new)

Leah | 3478 comments Mod
I think that other religion are fascinating. I'm fine with anyone TALKING about their religion, even teachers, as long as they don't shove it down anyone's throat. I love learning what religions other than my own believe, simply because the comparison is so interesting.

message 9: by Ella (new)

Ella (AWholeLotofNothing) | 386 comments @Leah
If someone is explaining why they believe something, that's fine. If someone is explaining how their religion works incessantly, and you never asked, I dont think that's right. But I'm not saying they shouldn't talk about their religion at all.

message 10: by Leah, I'm HI-larious! (Head Mod) (new)

Leah | 3478 comments Mod
I don't mean incessantly. I mean, I would enjoy learning about it during a couple discussions.

Sasha Ivashkov-Herondale-Jackson (aka Clarisse) (sasha101) | 175 comments i dont think theres anything wrong with teaching religion at schools.
But i think it should be an optional thing, so its not compulsory to teach all the students about the same on religion, if they dont want to.

Plus when religion comes into the school, there should be and expresion of more than the one dominant one which is Christianity in case some kids/ppl may feel left out if they are (for example) Buddhist or sumfin.

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I think that kids should have to learn about religion in school until about 13 or 14 to teach them to respect other peoples beliefs. But I dont think people need to learn lots about each separate religion because I dont think that is as important as respecting others beliefs. and i dont think what the teacher did was very respectful. sorry i keep saying respect!

message 13: by Sierra (new)

Sierra (skippingstones4) Lauren *lady lauren with the lamp* wrote: "I think that kids should have to learn about religion in school until about 13 or 14 to teach them to respect other peoples beliefs. But I dont think people need to learn lots about each separate r..."

That's a really interesting thought. But I don't think parents would like that idea too much. It is good to teach children to respect other people's beliefs though.

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I just think that religion is such a big topic that it is pointless teaching all the little details to kids and that learning about religion should be more about respecting others beliefs and finding out what your own beleifs are.

message 15: by Sierra (new)

Sierra (skippingstones4) Nicely said :)

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren i know!! Go me! lol

message 17: by Sierra (new)

Sierra (skippingstones4) Haha :D

message 18: by Lo, I'm a waste of time (last edited Jul 14, 2013 01:58PM) (new)

Lauren *lady lauren with the lamp* wrote: "I just think that religion is such a big topic that it is pointless teaching all the little details to kids and that learning about religion should be more about respecting others beliefs and findi..."

It's not harmful to be aware of others' religions though. In my school system we briefly learn about the main religions in sixth grade world studies.

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Yh I totally understand where your coming from and I think they should still teach some of the basics of each religion however I find that at mine and at a lot of schools they go into real depths of the religion and I don't think that it is really needed.

message 20: by Lo, I'm a waste of time (new)

Lauren *lady lauren with the lamp* wrote: "Yh I totally understand where your coming from and I think they should still teach some of the basics of each religion however I find that at mine and at a lot of schools they go into real depths ..."

What do you mean by go into the depths of the religion?

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Like every religion is huge with lots of things to talk about. For example the bible and most religious texts are huge and hold so much info on the way to live. I just don't think we need I know all off those and I just thing the basic and the main ways to live are needed for everyone to learn at school so that we understand each religion

message 22: by Ella (new)

Ella (AWholeLotofNothing) | 386 comments @Lia
Why go to Hogwarts when you can go to Pigfarts? (My autocorrect says Hogwarts is a word, while Pigfarts, is not.

(Anyone? Pigfarts reference? AVPM? No? Ok.)

Sasha Ivashkov-Herondale-Jackson (aka Clarisse) (sasha101) | 175 comments Ella wrote: "@Lia
Why go to Hogwarts when you can go to Pigfarts? (My autocorrect says Hogwarts is a word, while Pigfarts, is not.

(Anyone? Pigfarts reference? AVPM? No? Ok.)"

i dont understand what pigfarts is apart from something that Tome Felton is known to say.

message 24: by Evan (new)

Evan (sampsom) | 578 comments Lia wrote: "Do you think that Muslim teachers should remove their veils during classes? Or even their hijabs?

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/..."

No I don't if its part of their culture then I think they should be able to wear it.

Could we make a topic on the head dresses, in France I know they banned the Burka. So some people don't think its right and I think it could be an interesting topic.

message 25: by Arwen (new)

Arwen haha my school is anglican and i am jewish and i have won the religious prize in prize giving :P

message 26: by Arwen (new)

Arwen H99 wrote: "Arwen wrote: "haha my school is anglican and i am jewish and i have won the religious prize in prize giving :P"

...There's a religious prize for being giving?"

not exactly. . . its just the irony that i find funny

message 27: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (turwaithielgreenleaf) | 17 comments In my middle school (which is not closed) we got given a free new testament bible in Year 5 (I don't know what this is in american or whatever but it is ages 9-10). I didn't really mind it. I wouldn't say I have used it, but I am a Christian and I respected their kindness to offering us these bibles. In that assembly, I knew of a few people who went back at the end to hand theirs back, because they were either in a different religion or did not believe in God at all. The people who visited who gave these out just smiled at them and took them back no problem. But then later that day at lunchtime, we went into the gardens area and saw that there were people who were ripping out the pages and throwing them in bins. Now, this is what I really objected to. Fair enough, you don't believe this and don't want the bible, but to destroy it when someone else would have good use of it is just plain selfish. And what concerned me the most was the fact that most of these people were 9 years old. Yet they were already dead set against religions and got to a point where they felt they needed to destroy the bibles.

message 28: by Sasha Ivashkov-Herondale-Jackson (aka Clarisse) (last edited Aug 10, 2013 05:55AM) (new)

Sasha Ivashkov-Herondale-Jackson (aka Clarisse) (sasha101) | 175 comments Turwaithiel (nicole) wrote: "In my middle school (which is not closed) we got given a free new testament bible in Year 5 (I don't know what this is in american or whatever but it is ages 9-10). I didn't really mind it. I would..."

im sorry nicole. i cant blieve there are people like that, especially at such a young age where they have such strong feelings against religion...
Honestly, what r these kids' parents like?

At my high school i was a peer support leader, so when we were having a "Training day" on of my teahcers was telling me how we should b patient with the other students. She told me this one story of a student (a few years ago) who was put into a group activity with an islamic girl and an asian girl and this student flat out refused to be in a group with the other ethnic girls... Becasue apparently, her parenst had been really racist, and discriminated against other religions so that was just how she was brought up. She actually believed (and said her parents did too) that the asian girl did not belong in her country since she didnt have blond hair and blue eyes...
Plus she had also said something about how the islamic girl was wearing a head-scarf so she was not to be trusted and that whoevr was not following the same faith as her would go to hell... or somehitng

I was really outraged when i hears this (since i neither have blond hair or blue eyes) and shocked that there are parents out there who literally teach their kids to be so racist and have religious prejudices!
I dont really remember the sory word-for-word but that was the gist of it.

message 29: by Chantae (new)

Chantae B. | 51 comments you should be able to express what religion you are at school as long as your not telling people this and that if they aren't the same as you. I'm not saying it should be taught by teachers that you have to do this and worship this or else...... But it is ok to learn it and know about different religions and what they are like.

message 30: by Ember Skye (new)

Ember Skye | 148 comments I think that Religion can show their religion in school, but I don't think it has any place being taught in class, that is for the parents to do.

message 31: by Ember Skye (new)

Ember Skye | 148 comments I still think that religion should not be taught in school, unless they taught about EVERY single religion, and I really don't see that happening.

message 32: by Leah, I'm HI-larious! (Head Mod) (new)

Leah | 3478 comments Mod
I know that in our World History classes, we learn about the five major religions of the world, some of them pretty in-depth. I think it's really interesting. Our teachers weren't trying to convert us or anything. They were just teaching it.

message 33: by Ember Skye (new)

Ember Skye | 148 comments That is good to know, but I still think that if religion is being taught at school, ALL religions should be

message 34: by Xdyj (last edited Jan 11, 2014 07:17PM) (new)

Xdyj | 127 comments I think in non-religious schools, religious studies should be taught but theology shouldn't.

message 35: by Evan (new)

Evan (sampsom) | 578 comments At my school they teach us the major religions and some minor ones, as well as random cults (Heavens Gate).
My school is a Methodist school so we have assemblies that are based on Methodist views but they also do other ones, not long ago they had my Muslim friend up there to talk about his beliefs. Also most people dose of in assembly or by some "coincidence" miss it.

message 36: by ShilvaH (new)

ShilvaH  And her books | 207 comments I don't believed in one true religion. I have my own beliefs, like all the religions led to only one God. I rarely practice going to church or like praying day by day. But i do have faith in God.

I just hate it when people tend to over react when matters like religion came at hand. Why can't they just have even a wee bit of respect in other people's beliefs. It's not like religion always determine you as a whole.It doesn't mean that whatever religion you're in that you're superior among others.

Equality and respect is badly needed.

message 37: by Xdyj (new)

Xdyj | 127 comments I think the obsession over religion in some countries do sometimes have understandable historical reasons. The never-ending controversies in the US on the boundary between church & state may be due to the fact that in the past many Americans were immigrants fleeing religious prosecution who often cared deeply about religious liberty. In some other countries a specific religion may be traditionally considered an essential part of their national identity or a source of legitimacy, which may result in government policies that favor one religion at the expense of others.

message 38: by Ember Skye (new)

Ember Skye | 148 comments H99 wrote: "Jason wrote: "That is good to know, but I still think that if religion is being taught at school, ALL religions should be"

Concept, yes. There are so many, though, that it wouldn't be realistic t..."

Then I stand by what I said first: Religion should not be taught in school, that is the parents job.

message 39: by Xdyj (last edited Jan 14, 2014 05:45PM) (new)

Xdyj | 127 comments I think if taught correctly, some knowledge on major world religions (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Sikhism, Baha'i etc.) as well as folk beliefs popular in their country can help students understand and respect the beliefs of other people. There is a difference between teaching about a religion and preaching on behalf of it, and teaching about some religions but not others does not need to be an endorsement to their validity.

message 40: by Ember Skye (new)

Ember Skye | 148 comments H99 wrote: "Again, what if the parents aren't fit to be teaching that topic?"

Well, I don't really know then

message 41: by Lo, I'm a waste of time (new)

Xdyj wrote: "I think if taught correctly, some knowledge on major world religions (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Sikhism, Baha'i etc.) as well as folk beliefs popular in their country can he..."

I agree. In my county sixth graders have a unit on world religions in their world history class where they learn about the major religions in the world (how they originated, what the main points are, who/what they worship, etc.) I remember asking my teacher what religion he was because he wasn't bias toward any and he said he didn't feel comfortable telling me (which is understandable; I was dumb for asking.) My point is, now I have a simple understanding of the major world religions, and I learned it without any preaching.