Time Travel discussion

Time Travel Books By Members > Quest (and prize) for title and cover of my novel

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peter (last edited Jun 09, 2013 10:08AM) (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 236 comments Dear all, after having duly asked Tej the 'authorization' :-) I'd like to ask you to help me in finding the best title and best cover for my coming novel based on the short story 'The guns of Napoleon' which many of you already know.
And, you'll remember, that short story was born also thanks to this Group, when I started a discussion on 'impossible' objects found in photos or paintings of the past...
Now, from that story is (almost) born a novel. I want the title to be a different one.

The following, after discussing with some friends, came into my mind:
Rewriting Napoleon
Napoleon Rewound (or .. Napoleon Rewinded?...)
Napoleon's Edge
or.... please if you have any idea, let me know ;)

I am also in touch with a handful of designers who are working on a possible cover, and at the end I will choose only one of them. I will post some samples later on, and I would also like to see which cover will 'strike' more the public, before choosing one.

I would like to reward the best entries (meaning the ones I will choose) with a paperback copy of the novel, when published (also the ebook version, of course)...

P.S.: who has not read my short story on which the novel is now based, and would like to read it to help her/him in choosing title and cover, please drop me a line and will send her/him a free copy :)

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul | 341 comments Piero,

I read "The Guns of Napoleon" recently and enjoyed your writing style and the originality of your story. Too bad you can't use the same title -- but it might be confusing. Good luck with the novel. C'est une bonne idée, as Napoleon might say. There are so many story possibilities, it would be difficult selecting the best one. But I'm sure you have.

Here are some more title ideas for you:

Encore
Napoleon's Encore
Napoleon's Second Chance
Bonaparte's Repeat

That last one is a play on words. There's an American country music song from 1950 or so with a melody borrowed from old time (1800s?) fiddle tunes, called "Bonaparte's Retreat." Keep the fiddle music in mind for the movie.

By the way, pistols from the future show up in another novel in our Group. No mass-manufacturing, though -- so very different otherwise.

Paul S.

message 3: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 236 comments Thank Paul, very interesting!

And, by the way, some friends suggested me to stay with 'The Guns of Napoleon' (which sound indeed original and looks better in the draft convers I am preparing), saying that it does not matter that has been already used in my previous short story.

What do you think?

By the way, can you tell me in which other nover pistols are used? I did not know that :) I thought mine was an original idea! LOL

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul | 341 comments I'm fine with keeping your original title, Piero. It's a good one and certainly conveys the message this is an Action novel. You'll want to consider potential confusion, but perhaps it's minimal.

As for the other novel, it's one that I know well: An Extended Journey by Paul Sherman An Extended Journey Not a problem, though. Half the books on Amazon have guns in them!

message 5: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 236 comments LOL :))))) you know... I have to start reading seriously your novel.. I ve had a look only at the first pages but no guns yet! :)))))

message 6: by Peter (last edited Jun 13, 2013 11:43PM) (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 236 comments Paul, it seems you are the winner :)))) LOL

only because you are the only one who contributed to this post... hmm... I know, it is now interesting, on the contrary of the post that gave origin to my story itself (I remember of hundreds of posts in a short time)

Anyway, now I have already some sample covers ready, but I do not know how to post pictures here!

message 8: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 236 comments tell me if these links bring to a photo of cover... I cannot understand how to show it into the post :(

http://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/1...

ok, if it worked, you will see two different possible titles and covers... please vote for one (if you feel like doing it ;) ) .. more covers will come soon.

message 10: by Bill (new)

Bill Cleary | 66 comments I'd go with your choice, I think it's more artistic.

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul | 341 comments I agree with Piero and Bill on "nap final." Less busy -- gun on back cover is sufficient -- and not as dark. I like it! Now what about title and author name?

Paul
(The Winner!)

message 12: by Bill (new)

Bill Cleary | 66 comments I like original title. Those who read the short story will be Intrigued, and those who didn't will be, too. And you can't beat Piero.

message 13: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 236 comments Thanks....
now the main problem is that I am going to get maybe 10 new covers in the next week (I launched a contest on a well-know website and this was just the first designer who responded... hmmm...)
:) no, well, we'll see
and about the name, I think I will drop - with a bit of sadness - my very first pen name, which I used in my short stories, and go to use my real name... just not sure how it looks on the cover (especially considering the book is written in english)

message 14: by Bill (new)

Bill Cleary | 66 comments Asimov, Heinlein?

message 15: by Peter (last edited Jun 15, 2013 01:26AM) (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 236 comments lol

no, well, my 'real' name....

ok, this is another cover, bu I still like that only one...

message 16: by Bill (new)

Bill Cleary | 66 comments Way too 'busy" for a cover. And I was referring to to the fact if a Russian and German name can become famous, why can't yours?

message 17: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
I like this cover the best, but with your real name.

message 18: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 236 comments John wrote: "I like this cover the best, but with your real name.

http://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/1..."

hmmm.. the very first I received

yes, good, though I think that in the second variant the french soldiers and skyscrapers in the background may give a hint on tim travel not present in the first one

message 19: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 236 comments Bill wrote: "Way too 'busy" for a cover. And I was referring to to the fact if a Russian and German name can become famous, why can't yours?"

yes, Bill, thanks :) I take it as a 'good luck' :-)

message 20: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 420 comments My two-cents-I like the addition of the clock to appeal to those looking specifically for a time travel novel.

message 21: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 236 comments Heather wrote: "My two-cents-I like the addition of the clock to appeal to those looking specifically for a time travel novel."

which is the one I like, right? ;)

message 22: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 236 comments two new really interesting designs!

though they need some modifications...

message 23: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 236 comments ops... really difficult to choose now...

message 24: by Bill (new)

Bill Cleary | 66 comments I still stand with my original choice. I think it is a more artistic, unique design.

message 25: by Larry (new)

Larry Names | 7 comments The first one I commented on is far better as a cover, but NAPOLEON REWOUND is a better title. You still need to have your name bigger and the back cover type bigger.