Zombies! discussion

Writing/Publishing > New writer looking for friends / readers

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 2112 comments No offense intended, but if the writing in your books is equivalent to the above, I would probably quit reading it after a few pages.

message 2: by Cedric (new)

Cedric Nye (cedricnye) | 86 comments Randy wrote: "No offense intended, but if the writing in your books is equivalent to the above, I would probably quit reading it after a few pages."

He said he is disabled, he may be using Voice Recognition software. That would make sense considering how his post appears.

message 3: by Edward (new)

Edward Dunnaway | 13 comments No offense , yeah right lol

message 4: by Cedric (new)

Cedric Nye (cedricnye) | 86 comments Edward wrote: "No offense , yeah right lol"

Just write, man. No matter what the world says or does. Write. I mean, if that is what you want to do. At the end of the day, if a person follows their own Path, their own heart, then they can hold their head high.

message 5: by Kathy (last edited Jun 10, 2013 10:21AM) (new)

Kathy Geiser (kathygeiser) | 17 comments Edward I looked up your link. Intend to read soon. Don't let anyone stop you from doing what you love. Good luck.

message 6: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 2112 comments I didn't say my message wouldn't be offensive. I said that wasn't the intent of the message.

Seriously, if any of you were his editor or publisher, would you have allowed such an introduction to go out to the public?

I read a lot of self-published books. The most common issue is the lack of proofreading/editing. Books that could have been good otherwise. I'm the kind of guy that highlights each error as I run into it. I gave up the highlighting on one book that averaged 3-4 errors per Kindle page. I would have abandoned that one if it had not been a short story.

I have plenty of errors in my own writing, so it's a good thing I'm not a professional writer.

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara (bluesarat) | 464 comments Randy wrote: "I didn't say my message wouldn't be offensive. I said that wasn't the intent of the message.

Seriously, if any of you were his editor or publisher, would you have allowed such an introduction to g..."

I second that!!

message 8: by Sara (last edited Jun 10, 2013 08:45AM) (new)

Sara (bluesarat) | 464 comments Thomas wrote: "The quality of the story is more important the the quality of the writing. So if the idea is a good one, keep on writing! But it doesn't hurt to have it proofread :)

And Randy, your statements hav..."

Edward may be disabled and that should not detract from his writing but when a translator is required to turn writing into English then yes, a proof reader is required ..I have given up on kindle books before now because they are so badly misspelt that I just end up thinking if you can't be bothered to take the time to write properly..then I can't be bothered to waste my time reading your work.
I have left poor reviews before now and not downloaded free books to promote because the author has put a severely poorly punctuated and misspelt blurb and intro up about the book..one author in this case rewrote her intro for her novel and because of her response I bought it happily as the fair criticism was taken and utilised constructively!!

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara (bluesarat) | 464 comments I followed the link and it says the author has not published any books??

message 10: by Kathy (last edited Jun 10, 2013 02:09PM) (new)

Kathy Geiser (kathygeiser) | 17 comments Sara on the link is his FACEBOOK page. Go to it and it has the correct link. I guess I am just a sucker but I think every new writer might be my next new favorite. So I really try to read as many new writer as possible. I haven't read Edward's work yet so I can't tell you if it was worth the long trip or not.

message 11: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 2112 comments Thomas wrote: "there is nothing wrong with constructive criticism. But Randy's communication to Edward, was absolutely unhelpful, and just plain rude."

OK. Assume you're his editor. Tell me your constructive criticisms of what was written.

message 12: by Edward (new)

Edward Dunnaway | 13 comments Yes , everyone can't be great writer and sale billion books . Like raper on the streets some us like be heard or read. If I care with people said , I never would had gotten through school or life . You can rag all you want on my writing but guess what , you read it didn't you :p. every critic is just another reader.

message 13: by Tammy K. (last edited Jun 10, 2013 02:01PM) (new)

Tammy K. (rambles_of_a_reader) Hi Edward,
Zombies is a love of everyone in this group. We all have different takes on Zombies and so each of us are looking for different things.
My good friend Randy and I both love a good thrilling zombie novel, yet there are only a handful of books that we both have read, reviewed and rated the same.
When Randy says its a good book, I do pick it up and go through a couple chapters because of the fact that we usually spot on to the same things.
The link that you have posted, did not bring me up a sample of your work. So there is no way for me to know your take on Zombies.
And so I will say something that I have said before to other authors.
I have the worlds most beautiful granddaughters. No, Seriously I do! Their smiles make me smile, their laughs bring a joy to my heart that only a grandmother can know. They are in my mind, the most beautiful girls there are.
But in no circumstance would I ever consider entering them into a beauty competition. The very thought of someone else judging my granddaughters beauty from their own ideas of beauty is unacceptable.
Why if someone were to say that my oldest granddaughters singing is off key, or my middle granddaughter has too big of ears, or that my youngest granddaughter has too many freckles, I would declare all out war on them!
Being an author takes courage.
I have never published anything other then reviews for titles. Believe it or not even reviewers take hits.
I can tell you of more then one time that I have had an author and/or the authors fan come at me big time over a review that I have written.
I won’t name names but there are two goodreads authors who have gone to great lengths to either have my reviews removed from Amazon and/or have their fans down vote (click not helpful) on my review in hopes of discounting my review.
I try to give fair and honest reviews. BUT I write my reviews for the potential reader/purchaser in mind, not to promote the author or their work.
For the most part, I get positive feedback on my reviews and when I do get information about my review that I feel I should consider, I rewrite the review.
Like the time that I wrote a review for a crochet pattern book a couple months ago. I could not get the pattern to work out no matter how many times I tried to crochet it. I wrote a firmly worded review stating that it was a flawed pattern and giving it one star. I was pretty upset that I had paid $3.99 for a book were the information was not correct.
Two things happened: a friend helped me work out the old pattern just about the same time that the author updated the pattern. I had finished crocheting the pattern the same time I got the notice of the updated book. I reexamined the pattern and made an Updated review.
And that is how it should happen. When there is a flawed work, be it the book or a review. It has to be taken seriously. You have to be willing to hear all opinions.
Once you put your book on the market, it is like releasing it to fly. You want to see it soar but you have to be willing to see it nose dive. If it takes a nose dives you have to be willing to pick it up and try again.
We have a saying in the world of crochet, Never put in a stitch that you are not willing to take out. Well maybe that makes more sense to those of us who crochet. But let me say that often when you crochet you have to take out rows and rows due to one single flaw. It can be days or even weeks worth of work that has to be yanked out and redone.
Now to get back on topic and to bring this to a close.
If you’re looking for readers/reviewers you have hit the mother load by joining this group.
You may have to wait in line behind some other authors, who have been waiting in line themselves but if you are persistent, you will get reviews.
I suggest you join other groups as well. And keep putting your name and work out there.
It is the squeaky wheel that gets greased first. (I keep hearing Cedric squeaks all the way up here in Washington state! You are on my list but I just gave you two so you have to way buddy).
Be willing to accept all reviews for what they are a (single) readers opinion. It is not likely that any two readers will have the exact opinion because we are all looking for different things but taken as a whole you can get a good feedback on your work here.
Wishing you much success in your work,
Respectfully submitted,
Tammy K

message 14: by Ian (new)

Ian McClellan | 294 comments Well said Tammy.

message 15: by Cedric (new)

Cedric Nye (cedricnye) | 86 comments Edward, read what Tammy K. wrote to you, that is TRUTH right there. By the way, Tammy rocks!

message 16: by Sara (new)

Sara (bluesarat) | 464 comments Thomas could you please stop with the aggressive posting..I damn well am not a troll simply a human being too who is going through far more than you could realise..all I do here is try to help others but I cannot support an author who in his own post describes a "rapper" as a "raper"..also respectfully submitted and asking for a bit less aggression when an intended helpful comment is given!!

message 17: by Sara (new)

Sara (bluesarat) | 464 comments Thomas wrote: "> Sara. I have no Idea what you just said. Would you like to try that again?

What you said made no sense in context to what I was talking about. there is nothing wrong with constructive criticism...."

I quote

"Yes , everyone can't be great writer and sale billion books . Like raper on the streets some us like be heard or read."

Respectfully does that make sense to you!!!

message 18: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 2112 comments Edward wrote: "You can rag all you want on my writing but guess what , you read it didn't you :p"

Not all of it. I gave up trying to interpret it about a third of the way through. Which is what prompted my initial post. Did you proofread and edit your original post at all? Or your later post that Sara just cited?

Terry Pratchett's advice to young writers: "Let grammar, punctuation, and spelling into your life! Even the most energetic and wonderful mess has to be turned into sentences."

This may be of some help:

The Writing Center -- Editing and Proofreading

Of particular note:

Content is important. But like it or not, the way a paper looks affects the way others judge it. When you’ve worked hard to develop and present your ideas, you don’t want careless errors distracting your reader from what you have to say. It's worth paying attention to the details that help you to make a good impression.

Tammy has often accused me of being a literary snob, when I refuse to pick up a free book she's recommended to me because the blurb is poorly written. I plead guilty to the charge. But I figure if the writer cares so little about the blurb, how much could he have cared about the book?

message 19: by Edward (new)

Edward Dunnaway | 13 comments Thank for support , and encouraging words .... Will it maybe not new zombies but it my spin on old types, such as fast, mutated , and smart. I never really saw zombies as monsters , but as us in our true form rapid animals.

I started this whole story as a role play to care the hell out my girlfriend than a blog to post on fetlife . In the end , this is hubby in which I'm see how far it goes .

message 20: by Edward (new)

Edward Dunnaway | 13 comments I deal with literary snobs everywhere anyway , I guess it part put my self our there.

message 21: by Tammy K. (last edited Jun 11, 2013 03:57PM) (new)

Tammy K. (rambles_of_a_reader) Edward wrote: "I deal with literary snobs everywhere anyway, I guess it part put my self our there."

Eh, We all can be called snobs at some point.
Randy does have a thing for grammatical correctness.
He has a valid point about the way an author can detract from their books through errors in their synopsis.

When I first started writing reviews, I used to say to myself that if I could not understand an authors synopsis of their book then I would not stand a chance to understand their book.
I would find titles where the author misspelled there own books title!

But then I started talking to authors and found that they made simple errors because they were in a rush to get the book set up to sell.
I also found out that most authors never thought to ask someone to proof their synopsis for them, which could have saved them embarrassment and possibly increased their sales.

That is like showing up at an interview to work at a five star restaurant wearing a pair of flip-flop sandals and baggy shorts.

Like many others here, I tend to "add" books to goodreads when I want to refer it on to others.

I use Firefox Mozilla browser, which underlines the misspell words in read. I can not count the number of times that I have found spelling errors when I copied & paste the authors synopsis off amazon to goodreads but it is a lot.

So take Randy's tip about presentation as the helpful advice that it was meant to be.

One last bit of advice from me, when you write your stories poor your passion into the work. Show as much emotional range (or lack of emotional range) inside your story as you feel inspired too do.
But when you take that same work to market (put it on amazon or smashwords or whatever) use the 'logical' side of your mind. Keep the emotions out of your business side, the selling and promotion of your work.
There is no room for emotional responses in the business world. Save those emotions for your next novel.

Recently I seen a photo that I absolutely loved. It was a photo of a type writer and it said. Warning: you have just entered the home of an author. What happens in this house, goes in my next novel!

:)

message 22: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 2112 comments Tammy -- Even reading your message, I'm editing it in my head. Spellcheckers are great, but they don't catch the words that are spelled correctly, but meant to be something else (e.g. "poor" instead of "pour"). I may be partially OCD. :)

For example, in recent books, consistent use of:

...cannon instead of canon
...repelling instead of rappelling
...ally instead of alley

Because of this issue, a number of corporations have removed the word "pubic" from their spellchecker dictionaries, just so someone can't accidentally use "pubic" instead of "public" and have the spellchecker says it's OK.

Even after proofreading my own messages several times, I often see something JUST as I press SEND or POST. At least here on GoodReads, you can go back and edit the message after it's posted. Otherwise, it's just embarrassing.

message 23: by Tammy K. (new)

Tammy K. (rambles_of_a_reader) Randy wrote: "Tammy -- Even reading your message, I'm editing it in my head. Spellcheckers are great, but they don't catch the words that are spelled correctly, but meant to be something else (e.g. "poor" instea..."

LOL Randy, you make me smile. :D

You can edit, in your head, as much as you like with me.

The truth be told, I am a bit devious in nature.

There are times (especially when I sent a recommendation or letter to you) that I will leave a typo for you to (or is it too?) cringe over.. 'cause that is just the kind of love I have for you, my friend. :D

First and foremost, I am a small town, country girl (!) who just happened to go to college and earn herself a degree (which I never use anymore).

Whenever I talk with my siblings, I go back to using the slang that I grew up with.

Listening to my family slaughter the English language can be pretty funny or rather ugly, depending on your tolerance level.

You know the saying, you can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl.

You'll always be on my friend list here on goodreads because I think we are good for tormenting... oops wrong word.. SUPPORTING each other.

Much love to ya,
Tammy

message 24: by Sara (new)

Sara (bluesarat) | 464 comments Always remember the letter form local MP who happilystated he was going pubic on this..can't remember the topic of the letter but dang I remember that typo!!

message 25: by Sara (new)

Sara (bluesarat) | 464 comments Edward wrote: "Thank for support , and encouraging words .... Will it maybe not new zombies but it my spin on old types, such as fast, mutated , and smart. I never really saw zombies as monsters , but as us in ou..."

Edward you sent me the files of your book through email which is great but I cannot open them on my computer..I'm using windows 7 do you know what I would need to do to read it?? Thankyou Sara x