The Sword and Laser discussion

Ian Banks
This topic is about Ian Banks
Scifi / Fantasy News > Ian Banks has passed away

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (last edited Jun 09, 2013 09:01AM) (new)

Sam | 25 comments Sad day indeed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22835047

Supposedly people can post condolences for his family at:

http://friends.banksophilia.com/guest...

though it is currently down.

message 2: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1655 comments Mod
Yes, very.

message 3: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 233 comments We are reading The Player of Games for my library book group in his honor.

message 4: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4102 comments We all knew it was coming, still sad though. Another master lost. :(

message 5: by Darren (new)

Darren Fucking sad. So sudden, really.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) Absolutely heart breaking even if he wasn't such a talented writer...

message 7: by David (new)

David (strakul) I've only read Consider Phlebas and didn't like it that much. Can someone recommend what they consider his best work or a good place to start (Culture or not)?
I think the best way to honor an author is to read his books. I'm sad I didn't read more of him while he was alive.

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam | 25 comments I've only read The Player of Games and Use of Weapons. I loved the first and would highly recommend it. It is also this month's renegade read so people are currently discussing it. I liked Use of Weapons but wouldn't say I loved it, it seemed to drag some for me.

message 9: by Martin (last edited Jun 09, 2013 11:33AM) (new)

Martin (martinc36au) | 79 comments In his futures, cancer was impossible (or at least, it was a choice). We'll get there.

The Player of Games is a good start, but Use of Weapons, Against a Dark Background (non-culture and contains my vote for best scifi weapon - The Lazy Gun) or Excession are also good initial novels.

message 10: by Tamahome (last edited Jun 09, 2013 11:59AM) (new)

Tamahome | 5995 comments Wow so fast.

Use of Weapons might suit the more literary or mainstream-y of you, with a focus on war. Although there's some shocking elements. Half the chapters travel back in time.

message 11: by Tim (new)

Tim | 380 comments "It was the day my grandmother exploded."

One of the best opening lines ever (from The Crow Road). RIP Iain. :(

message 12: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2750 comments His Culture novels are amazing (not uniformly, but certainly as a whole) but don't forget that he wrote many books that are not genre and which are stellar as well. One of the few writers whose books were always worth reading and from the posts of those who knew him seemingly a really good person too. Far too soon, too suddenly. RIP Iain.

message 13: by Trike (new)

Trike | 7935 comments It is sad, but Friday my friend's 10-year-old daughter died of cancer. By comparison, Banks had a good run.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1840 comments Strakul wrote: "I've only read Consider Phlebas and didn't like it that much. Can someone recommend what they consider his best work or a good place to start (Culture or not)? "

A few of us read The Player of Games as a renegade read last month. I really enjoyed the story. It was the first Banks novel I read, though I used to read many of his articles in a magazine.

I'm really sad. Isn't is strange to be shocked even when we all knew this was coming. Sad news indeed.

message 15: by Hershel (new)

Hershel Shipman (hershdawg) | 43 comments Too bad we can't hijack the vote poll for next month with one of his books.

message 16: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Garcia (johnnyeponymous) | 2 comments The Drink Tank (http://efanzines.com/DrinkTank/index.htm) is doing a tribute to Banks and his work. We'd love to have any thoughts on his work from al of his fans. Personally, I thought that Player of Games and Use of Weapons were both minor masterpieces.
Chris

message 17: by Darren (new)

Darren Trike wrote: "It is sad, but Friday my friend's 10-year-old daughter died of cancer. By comparison, Banks had a good run."

You should send that on a card to his family. I'm sure they'd appreciate that fresh dose of perspective.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1840 comments Darren wrote: "Trike wrote: "It is sad, but Friday my friend's 10-year-old daughter died of cancer. By comparison, Banks had a good run."

You should send that on a card to his family. I'm sure they'd appreciate that fresh dose of perspective."

Oh gosh, I wouldn't. I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but I don't think perspective has any place in grief. My Granddad died around the time of the boxing day tsunami; so many families torn apart, but the person I loved passing away from old age was what mattered to me.

message 19: by Darren (new)

Darren Of course I was being sarcastic.

message 20: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5995 comments This author/blogger really likes Surface Detail.

http://meuploads.com/2011/08/25/revie...

message 21: by Leland (new)

Leland (lesliehw) Trike wrote: "It is sad, but Friday my friend's 10-year-old daughter died of cancer. By comparison, Banks had a good run."

That's terrible. So young. I'm so sorry for your friend's loss.

message 22: by AndrewP (last edited Jun 10, 2013 09:47AM) (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2432 comments This is sad news, I was expecting him to be around for at least another couple of months. One of my very favorite authors and I am glad I did a re-read and participated in this months renegade read.