Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Follett, Ken; Fall of Giants "Informal Buddy Read" (Starts August 9, 2013) REVISIT 7 November 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 12, 2013 12:13AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30637 comments Mod

What is a buddy read?

About this buddy read
A “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book

Synopsis
This is an epic of love, hatred, war and revolution. This is a huge novel that follows five families through the world-shaking dramas of the First World War, the Russian Revolution, and the struggle for votes for women. It is 1911. The Coronation Day of King George V. The Williams, a Welsh coal-mining family, is linked by romance and enmity to the Fitzherberts, aristocratic coal-mine owners.

Lady Maud Fitzherbert falls in love with Walter von Ulrich, a spy at the German Embassy in London. Their destiny is entangled with that of an ambitious young aide to U.S. President Woodrow Wilson and to two orphaned Russian brothers, whose plans to emigrate to America fall foul of war, conscription and revolution.

In a plot of unfolding drama and intriguing complexity, "Fall Of Gaints" moves seamlessly from Washington to St Petersburg, from the dirt and danger of a coal mine to the glittering chandeliers of a palace, from the corridors of power to the bedrooms of the mighty.

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

"Buddy Read" start August 9, 2013.

EXPECT SPOILERS!

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 12, 2013 12:17AM) (new)

Questions to consider as you read the book. You can use these as a basis for your discussion

1) How do you like the author's writing style?

2) Who was your favorite character and why?

3) Did you have any favorite quotes?

4) What struck you the most about the book?

5) Was there anything that surprised you, that you hadn't expected?

6) What did you think of the ending? Was there anything that you wish had been wrapped up better?

7) What will you rate the book?

8) Have you read anything else by the author? If not will you do so in the future? In you have, which books and would you recommend them?

Discussion questions of this book are available from Oprah.com. These have been copied in the spoiler below
(view spoiler)

message 3: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 2240 comments Me, too!!

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3273 comments I just bought this book. Would like to join if I could possibly fit it in?

message 5: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 2240 comments Awesome, Sarah!! I hope you can join in!

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (shelld79) | 288 comments Oooh, I'll try and join in on this one too as I actually already have this book on my kindle.

message 7: by Michel (new)

Michel Avenali (readershaven) | 2 comments I'm in!

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) This has been on my TBR for so long. I'll try to get this one read in August!

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie (jrucker8) | 1 comments I would like to join this buddy read. I've had this book on my shelf for quite a while and hope this will motivate me to read it!

message 10: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 2240 comments Welcome everyone! Looks like we are going to have quite a nice group reading this book. I look forward to some lively conversation.

message 11: by Nancy from NJ (last edited Jul 13, 2013 11:52PM) (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I read this book some time ago and also the second book. I would love to discuss this title but since I read it once when it was first published and then again shortly before I read the second book, I'm not sure how much I will remember without reading this again.

As a side note, Herman Wouk in his books Winds of War and War and Remembrance used a similar plot technique when he told the story of WWII paralleled with the lives of several people. Come to think about it, so did Follett when he wrote The Pillars of the Earth.

message 12: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) I have a question. I have this book on my Nook but haven't read it yet but want to and i never done a Buddy Read before so this will be my first one, if i decide to join. My question is: Can i read it on my Nook or do i need to get a hard copy of the book?

message 13: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 2240 comments Yes! If we can't read it on our nook I wouldn't be participating LOL. That book is too heavy.

And Nancy - I love Herman Wouk!! Recently re-read Winds of War and have been planning to get to the second one as well. Read them both years ago and was enthralled by his storytelling abilities. I've read a bunch of Ken Follett but not as much of his "big" stories.

message 14: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) Leslie wrote: "Yes! If we can't read it on our nook I wouldn't be participating LOL. That book is too heavy.

And Nancy - I love Herman Wouk!! Recently re-read Winds of War and have been planning to get to the se..."

This will be my first Ken Follett book that i've have read. I know its long but i hope its good.

message 15: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Leslie wrote: "Yes! If we can't read it on our nook I wouldn't be participating LOL. That book is too heavy.

And Nancy - I love Herman Wouk!! Recently re-read Winds of War and have been planning to get to the se..."

I read Winds of War when it was published. Then almost 7 years later War and Remembrance was published so what did I do in order to read War and Remembrance and remember little details , I reread Winds of War. I also recently reread War and Remembrance when I was asked to teach a unit on the Holocaust at our Tenmple's Hebrew school.

message 16: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Leslie wrote: "Yes! If we can't read it on our nook I wouldn't be participating LOL. That book is too heavy.

I read a little, or at least to me, known Follett book called Jackdawes which tells the story of a group of women during WWII who were spies. There have been some of his books I loved and some were just ok.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

This has been on my TBR list for too long now...I'm in.

message 18: by Kaora (new)

Kaora (ophelja) I wouldn't mind participating in this one.

message 19: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments Welcome, Jena & Allison!!

message 20: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Gamemore | 5 comments I will try.

message 21: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 2240 comments So excited to start this one! Are we going to have a reading plan or just wing it?

message 22: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Looks like you're "winging' it. There are some discussion questions in Post #2, Leslie.

message 23: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 2240 comments Thanks, LK! I'm good with winging!

message 24: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments Oh, I might not be able to start August 9. Let me try but I'll catch up on 12th.

message 25: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 2240 comments I'm starting sometime this weekend. Enjoy your vacation, Vi!!

message 26: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments I need to finish a couple of books for a challenge so I think I'll start this tomorrow or wednesday. Is it only the two of us, Leslie?

message 27: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments This one looks really good, I just don't think I can squeeze it in.

message 28: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 2240 comments Started it and am halfway through Chapter 2. It is a very dense book so it's going to be slow going. We are at a house party and all the key players in the book seem to be present. I feel like I'm reading a scene from Downton Abbey!

message 29: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments Leslie, I'm a bit behind on my schedule. Had a bad headache yesterday and couldn't read anything. I just need to finish another book and I'll start this tomorrow.

message 30: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 2240 comments No worries, Vi! I got totally distracted by that series that shall remain nameless and now must catch up on some other books. I'm going to try and read more this weekend.

message 31: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Rebooting this thread to start a new buddy read of the series in November 2015

message 32: by jingles (new)

jingles Hi guys! I'm very excited to finally get started on this series.

message 33: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 1110 comments I am in! Also very excited :) I haven't read anything by Ken Follett before.

message 34: by Srividya (new)

Srividya (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments What is this with TT and big books?!! ;)

Of course, I am in! I had started this one some six or seven months back but just couldn't finish it. Would love to start it again and with such wonderful buddies, I am sure that I will finish it this time! :D

Hi jingles and Kelsi! *waves*

Kelsi - Nice pic. I had gone to your profile to like it but there was no button! :( ;)

message 35: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 1110 comments Srividya wrote: "Hi jingles and Kelsi! *waves*

Kelsi - Nice pic. I had gone to your profile to like it but there was no button! :( ;) "

Hi Sri! Nice to see you! Thanks for joining us :D

And thank you, I figured after two years on GR it was time to update it :P I will have to investigate why there is no like button, that is strange...

message 36: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 1480 comments Hello :) This is not my first book from the author, I've read Jackdaws many years ago and I liked it a lot so I have high hopes for this one as well.

message 37: by jingles (new)

jingles Hi Srividya and Kelsi!!!! Great to see you. I'm so glad you are both reading this with me. It's a chunkster, and I'll probably need help to stay focused. Lol

Gea, thanks again for inviting me to this buddy read!

Kelsi, I almost didn't recognize you. Great picture :)

message 38: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 1110 comments Haha ya the other one was pretty old, this one is a bit more recent. Thank you :)

message 39: by Srividya (new)

Srividya (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Gea - I have read a few books of this author, including Lie Down with Lions and Eye of the Needle etc but somehow I always found it to be an okay read. I had started this one earlier this year but I couldn't finish it..HOwever, whatever I had read of it, I quite enjoyed it!

jingles - You aren't the only one who needs help to stay focused. Am right there with you as I am a master at getting distracted by shinier books that I am not reading at the moment. Lol

message 40: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I'd like to join. I have two copies of this book but haven't read it before. I've heard wonderful things about it. It will be my first time reading anything by Ken Follett.

The beginning of this year one of my co-workers said he was reading it at the time I was reading a few other larger books but he told me about it. I can't wait to jump into this one.

message 41: by Srividya (new)

Srividya (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Hi Rachel!! Good to see you back! :) And super glad that you are joining this BR! :)

message 42: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 1480 comments I decided to open the book while cooking today and I must say that character list at the beginning will be my savior just like those house descriptions at the end of Game of Thrones were :D

message 43: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 1480 comments Srividya wrote: "Gea - I have read a few books of this author, including Lie Down with Lions and Eye of the Needle etc but somehow I always found it to be an okay read. I had started this ..."

Eye of the Needle looks very interesting and is translated. I only have a problem because my library says the translation is of Storm Island but it seems to me those are one and the same book? At least the description is very similar to me.

message 44: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 1110 comments Gea wrote: "I decided to open the book while cooking today and I must say that character list at the beginning will be my savior just like those house descriptions at the end of Game of Thrones were :D"

I agree! There is a lot to keep track of!

I am about 2.5 chapters in. So far I am really liking the writing style and am finding the story pretty interesting. (view spoiler)

message 45: by jingles (last edited Nov 08, 2015 05:50PM) (new)

jingles Prologue - Chapter 1:
(view spoiler)

Kelsi, I've not made it to chapter 2 yet, but I totally agree - there is alot to keep track of. I'm just about ready to bust out my index cards and start tracking stuff :)

message 46: by jingles (last edited Nov 09, 2015 10:14AM) (new)

jingles Part 1, Chapter 2:
(view spoiler)

message 47: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 1480 comments Chapter 1-2

(view spoiler)

message 48: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 1480 comments jingles wrote: "Kelsi, I've not made it to chapter 2 yet, but I totally agree - there is alot to keep track of. I'm just about ready to bust out my index cards and start tracking stuff :)
"

I must say I already started writing in my notebook all of the characters that are mentioned because that list at beginning is just that and no useful information are there.

message 49: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 1480 comments Jingles, just how long is the audio version of the book? The book itself is enormous so audio can't be short either

message 50: by jingles (new)

jingles Gea - in response, (view spoiler)

The first part was a very slow start for me as well, Gea. In fact, I'm moving through this quite slowly, overall.

« previous 1