On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

The Year of the Storm
This topic is about The Year of the Storm
Group Reads: Post-1980 > Year of the Storm: July 2013

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lawyer, Moderator Emeritus "Lawyer Stevens" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
Here's the place to begin discussion of a new voice in dark Southern Lit, John Mantooth. Both John and his wife are teachers. John teaches seventh grade in middle school. The Year of the Storm is his debut novel. For a look at the development of a writer, I highly recommend his first anthology of short stories, Shoebox Train Wreck.

photo 089_zps1de1473c.jpg
John Mantooth, June 6, 2013, launching The Year of the Storm

message 2: by John (new) - added it

John | 18 comments Hey guys, just a quick note... if you have been waiting on your copy of The Year of the Storm that you won in the giveaway, all have now been mailed and you should receive it next week. Please let me know if you don't. Sorry for the delay, and I hope you enjoy the book.

message 3: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) I just received my copy and cannot wait to get started! Thank you so much for letting me have a copy, I have to say I am a little nervous. It sounds like a thriller! Maybe I will still have fingernails left by the end.

message 4: by Lawyer, Moderator Emeritus "Lawyer Stevens" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Autumn wrote: "I just received my copy and cannot wait to get started! Thank you so much for letting me have a copy, I have to say I am a little nervous. It sounds like a thriller! Maybe I will still have fingern..."

Autumn, it is indeed a thriller. Your fingernails are in peril. I think you will enjoy it very much. I certainly did. I also recommend John's anthology of short stories, Shoebox Train Wreck.

message 5: by Lawyer, Moderator Emeritus "Lawyer Stevens" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Folks, especially the lucky ones who won a copy of John's work, please take the time to give feedback in this discussion thread. I know John would appreciate it. And I also invite John to participate in the discussion, too. That should make for a very interesting thread.

Lexy | 24 comments I was a lucky winner and wanted to say thanks! I enjoyed the book even though it isn't my typical genre.

Scott | 2 comments I really liked this book. I am someone that gets distracted very easily when reading stories I usually am reading several so I can come back to them but I read this one in just a few days.