Mortigi Tempo discussion

Book of the Month > Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Let's keep a running log of suggestions that I can pull from so I'm not just making you guys read only what I want.

A few suggestions:
—Try to add books that are unread among members
—Pull from a variety of genres/cultures
—Obscure is good, but too obscure to be found easily or cheaply is bad

Also, if anyone has a major problem with any of the books on the schedule, let me know.

message 2: by Marcos (new)

Marcos (tommygunangel) | 26 comments would the snow leopard be too obscure or too hard to find? it'd be interesting to throw some non-fiction into our reading schedule.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think so, and I agree.

message 4: by Marcos (new)

Marcos (tommygunangel) | 26 comments well, that'd be my first suggestion! it'd be fun to read something by james ellroy (i.e. my dark places) and boris vian (autumn in peking) at some point too.

message 5: by Rose (new)

Rose Ocean (oznz) | 24 comments only Faulkner I've read was the sound and the fury but I really think I benefitted from reading it in a class where we discussed it so I would like to read another book by him if anyone here is in favor

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds great. I really want to read The Hamlet, but I'm down for anything.

message 7: by Marcos (new)

Marcos (tommygunangel) | 26 comments yes! the hamlet would be great. i'd love to try sartoris and light in august too.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I ordered The Stars My Destination from the UK... I hope it gets here in decent time. Is everyone okay with that for next month, or is there something else you'd like to read? Unfortunately I won't be able to add much to the conversation until my copy arrives.

message 9: by Marcos (new)

Marcos (tommygunangel) | 26 comments Hopefully, I'll be able to get a copy before the second week of July, So I'd be cool with that.

message 10: by Zach (new)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds pretty good. If we did that and The Hamlet, it would round out the year.

message 12: by cin (new)

cin I got The Stars My Destination on kindle so I'm all set for July. Hopefully, I will finish I Am A Cat in time. I'm enjoying it, but this month has been super busy. Things should be quieting down now, though, so I'm gonna try to power through the second half.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Great. If I had to, I can borrow an electronic copy or pick it up from the library until mine arrives.

As far as I Am a Cat, I'm almost done with the first chapter of Vol. 3. It seems to be dragging a little, but that's probably just because it's so long and I'm only reading a few pages at a time. I'm still enjoying it, though. The scene at the bathhouse and the kids playing baseball into Sneaze's lawn are great.

message 14: by Marcos (new)

Marcos (tommygunangel) | 26 comments haha, that bathhouse scene really cracked me up, yeah. the cat's depiction of his "sports" was truly amusing.

message 15: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (mrgrieves) | 1 comments the alfred bester arrived early from the library so all set for next month

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I got the Bester in the mail today, unexpectedly. I'm sure some of you are still finishing I am A Cat, so take your time.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Is everyone cool with The Hamlet, or is there a different Faulkner you'd rather read?

message 18: by Collin (new)

Collin Smith | 1 comments I might read along with The Hamlet, sounds good. Any faulkner I'd be okay with. Looking to get into him soon enough.

For a suggestion, I'd like to do this with discussion maybe next year: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37...

message 19: by cin (new)

cin everything you guys have talked about so far is fine by me.

i could swear i posted this earlier. maybe its lost in the ether. if it suddenly double posts, sorry bout that.

message 20: by Rose (new)

Rose Ocean (oznz) | 24 comments Yeah that one seems fair as its less likely people have already read it than any of the Faulkner books I've actually heard of

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I found out The Hamlet is the first book in a loose trilogy about a single family, though it can be read on its own and doesn't necessitate reading the others. If anyone has issue with this, let me know and we can choose another Faulkner.

message 22: by Rose (new)

Rose Ocean (oznz) | 24 comments No problem with me but I'm not picky having only read one of his before

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

So—activity is increasingly null. Is it the books or the format or what? Some of you guys seem pretty active in the MT book threads, I'm just wondering why it doesn't translate here. If you'd prefer to just do it on MT, I'd rather do that and talk more. I'm wondering, in the current net culture, if a month is way too long to concentrate on a single thing. Would you guys prefer reading shorter works? I'd be down for that.

message 24: by cin (new)

cin sorry. personally, i've been busy elsewhere, though i do try to at least check in here and see if there's any conversation going on. and i know i need to say more about child of god - i started writing it out but got distracted, must finish.

i think the book length isn't really a problem. the last 2 have been pretty short, and even i am a cat was still readable within the month time allotted.

i don't know really - i wonder if people just aren't reading the selection and so then they don't participate in conversation? and they may not be reading the selection for a number of reasons - maybe they are too busy, or unable to get a copy of the book, or maybe just not interested in the particular book and there's something else they'd rather read away from a group atmosphere. i was actually considering not reading this coming month's selection. i got mixed up and for some reason thought the hamlet was next up, so got a copy on hold from the library, and then got the message that it was this animal rights book. doh. i might still do the september book but i have to get a copy and i don't want to buy it, because frankly i have my doubts about how much i'm going to like it.

as far as joining in conversation, i think a lot of people are more apt to join a discussion that is already going, rather than initiate conversation. even at mt, there are a lot of people who don't like to make a new thread, to start it, but they're happy to join in an already active discussion if they have something to add that they feel is valid.

anyways, like i said before, i like having it here primarily - i'm more likely to check in and keep up than i am at mt. but if the majority would rather do it all there, i can deal with that too.

message 25: by Zach (new)

Zach sorry, just fell outta this for a bit (new jorb etc) i will pick it up again this month

message 26: by Marcos (new)

Marcos (tommygunangel) | 26 comments honestly, i just couldn't find a copy of the last couple novels. the only one i have with me already is the snow leopard. i still want to participate, though, and this is the best place for an online reading club.

in my opinion, we should only decide what to read every month based on how many people have access to the proposed books.

message 27: by cin (new)

cin well i think josh did say that we should be trying to make suggestions for things that are easily accessible. i don't think anything so far has been prohibitively obscure. i haven't had any issues getting copies, either got them on kindle or borrowed from the library. just bad luck you haven't been able to find them, marcos.

i think with any size group there's going to be times when everyone's all gung ho and times when it seems like few people care. but with a small group its probably a lot more noticeable when people are quiet. especially for something like reading, which is a solitary activity. still think its worthwhile, even when its quiet.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool, thanks for the replies. I think it is probably a little too planned out, and we should probably just wing it during the months when people can't participate or can't get the book.

How about we skip this month and come back next month with a book we can all get and want to read. I'm sure we all have plenty of books to read in the meantime.

message 29: by Marcos (new)

Marcos (tommygunangel) | 26 comments yeah, i think that would work. i'll try do do my best to hype this GR group in the arts forum.

also: cindy, josh, not sure if i already asked you, but do you guys feel like participating in the top novels/literary works thread?

message 30: by cin (new)

cin oh marcos, i'm sorry but i'm not really into ranking things. i love to make lists and read everyone's lists, but i never really pay attention to the way things are ordered and pretty much hate trying to rank things myself.

message 31: by Rose (new)

Rose Ocean (oznz) | 24 comments I'm sorry. For me, I've just had a harder time reading for the past few years than I used to so I end up not finishing things and its not really specific to this group. There's no reason I haven't finished I am a cat or child of god, and yet I haven't. I meant to take the month off after soseki and try to finish it but I didn't. Hopefully I can at least finish child of god in the next half month and if I do I'll discuss it. I do want to read more and for that I'm grateful to have this group as impetus. I think that my environment will change next month and I may be more able to read then.

message 32: by Marcos (new)

Marcos (tommygunangel) | 26 comments that would be great, rose. and don't worry, cindy! i'm glad you've been visiting the board more often too.

and well, i'll try to update my gr account and participate more often here as well.

message 33: by Rose (new)

Rose Ocean (oznz) | 24 comments Zach wrote: "here's my submission: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11..."

Collin wrote: "For a suggestion, I'd like to do this with discussion maybe next year: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3..."

these both look good

message 34: by cin (new)

cin yeah, i'd read those.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

You guys want to do The Trouble with Being Born? I'm down to start something whenever.

message 36: by Rose (new)

Rose Ocean (oznz) | 24 comments I'll see if I can find it!

message 37: by cin (new)

cin ok, i got a used copy, so i'm good to go whenever you guys are ready.
looks like a fast read, too.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Should get mine by Wed.