Books2Movies Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Threads > July 2013 Monthly Read

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zeljka (new)

Zeljka (ztook) | 2745 comments Mod
Here are we now on humorous fiction for July - a laughter might be exactly what we need for this middle season month (intentionally avoiding term summer and winter ;)

Of course, humor is weird category - not everybody has the same sense of humor. The most famous example being The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, most love it, but certainly there are some who don't. But in any case it would be shameful not to try to read it at all.

So, freely nominate any humorous book you have already rejoiced in, or would like to, only it must have its film adaptation to be eligible. If not certain, you may choose a book that was already nominated before :)

message 2: by Vismay (new)

Vismay (alienman) | 27 comments why can't we have some P.G. Wodehouse.........have read the entire series of Hitchhiker's twice....only the fifth part, 'Mostly Harmless' have read once and that to long ago.........but still, I am not sure about movie adaptations of P.G. Wodehouse's works, but think it would be a great idea to read Jeeves or Blandings.....

message 3: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne Carrie Fisher - Postcards From the Edge

message 4: by Ellen (new)

message 5: by Jonesmikey (new)

Jonesmikey | 64 comments I was going for HHGTTG. Even Cowgirls Get the Blues might be good.

message 6: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 9 comments How about The Princess Bride - I haven't read this but the movie had its funny parts. It may be interesting.

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 27 comments Princess bride is great from memory!

message 8: by Zeljka (new)

Hey girls, but we already had The Princess Bride! Check these threads (and freely join them, we had some really nice moments there :D

The Princess Bride - The Book
The Princess Bride - The Movie

message 9: by Zeljka (new)

Ellen wrote: "The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde"

Allow me, please, to ignore this nomination, as you've already nominated it in Quick Reads section :)

message 10: by Zeljka (new)

Vismay wrote: "why can't we have some P.G. Wodehouse..."

Sure, why not - I loved Jeeves and Wooster series although I wonder which book we should pick in order to watch - would it be better to read that series of books (and then watch the episodes) in separate section as sort of project? However, there were plenty other adaptations of Wodehouse's works, go ahead, check this link below and select one you would like to nominate :)

IMDB - P.G. Wodehouse

message 11: by Zeljka (new)

Jonesmikey wrote: "I was going for HHGTTG. Even Cowgirls Get the Blues might be good."

Jeanne wrote: "Carrie Fisher - Postcards From the Edge"

Both sound good. Heard of Tom Robbins, but haven't read anything of his yet!

message 12: by Estelle B. (new)

Estelle B. (estelle-in-smokey-blue) | 10 comments Confessions of a Shopoholic. Both the books and the film were really funny.

message 13: by Vismay (new)

Vismay (alienman) | 27 comments Zeljka wrote: "Vismay wrote: "why can't we have some P.G. Wodehouse..."

Sure, why not - I loved Jeeves and Wooster series although I wonder which book we should pick in order to watch - would it be better to rea..."

Piccadilly Jim was quite nice.....or maybe we can do Blandings Castle....

message 15: by Zeljka (new)

Vismay wrote: "Piccadilly Jim was quite nice.....or maybe we can do Blandings Castle...."

Cunning trick there, Vismay, two suggestions instead of one :)

If you are not certain, let's nominate Piccadilly Jim. It is a novel, better fit than Blandings Castle that is a collection of stories. Movies are also probably easier to find and see than the series.

message 16: by Zeljka (new)

Oh yes, I am interested in The Descendants. Not sure when I'll have time to read it, but let it be noted :)

message 17: by Vismay (new)

Vismay (alienman) | 27 comments Zeljka wrote: "Vismay wrote: "Piccadilly Jim was quite nice.....or maybe we can do Blandings Castle...."

Cunning trick there, Vismay, two suggestions instead of one :)

If you are not certain, let's nominate Pic..."

Piccadilly Jim it is....!!!!

message 18: by Zeljka (new)

The poll is up, finally:

July 2013 Monthly Read

message 19: by Zeljka (new)

The book of July is chosen, The Descendants, and the discussion topic done:

The Descendants - A Book and the Movie

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.