The Backlot Gay Book Forum discussion

Book Series Discussions > The Life Lessons series by Kaje Harper

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Octobercountry (new)

Octobercountry | 1169 comments Mod
Ulysses reviewed the third book of this series so beautifully here that I honestly have little to add to what he says; he summed it up perfectly. But I did want to make a mention of the series overall, to bring it to the attention of potential readers.

These are very solid mystery stories that simultaneously detail a deep (and sometimes quite touching) romance, along with the building of a family. Highly recommended!

Here's the link to the complete series, which should be read in order:
http://www.goodreads.com/series/62285...

The three short stories are freebies, which is a nice bonus. The fourth novel is finished and will be released in the near future.

message 2: by Jax (last edited Aug 18, 2013 09:16PM) (new)

Jax | 979 comments Yay! I just saw that Ms Harper has revealed the cover for book four, Learning Curve, which will be released on Sept 6th!

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori | 36 comments Learning Curve is out, available on Amazon and at MLR Press. No discounts at either site. :-(

message 4: by Ulysses (new)

Ulysses Dietz | 1543 comments I finished "Learning Curve" this morning. Here's my Goodreads review. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I'm a big fan of Kaje Harper's, but this series is, I think, her best. It might just be because she taps into something personal for me, but Mac and Tony and the story of their evolving family (all wrapped up in murder mysteries and career crises as they are) really pack a punch. This series goes way beyond m/m romance. This really is literature and deserves our support.

message 5: by Jax (new)

Jax | 979 comments Ulysses wrote: "I finished "Learning Curve" this morning. Here's my Goodreads review. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Sorry to say, but I don't think there will be any more books in this series. In her Sept 5 blog post to announce the release, Kaje said:

It's really great to see the book available, although also a little bittersweet since I don't expect to write more novels for this series, at least for quite a while. I'll miss Mac and Tony, but I hope you like the place they end up in, and all the adventures along the way.

message 6: by Ulysses (new)

Ulysses Dietz | 1543 comments Yes, Kaje just messaged me that this is the last one - and actually, I'm fine with that. Life is all about loose ends, eh? But this book leaves the family solid and happy - what more can life offer than that, really?

message 7: by Octobercountry (new)

Octobercountry | 1169 comments Mod
I've finally gotten around to reading the fourth and final book in the Life Lessons series, Learning Curve .

There's no need to go into the plot of this one---anyone who has read any of the previous volumes will already know if they're interested in reading this one without knowing what it's about. But I did just want to praise this series one last time, and encourage others to read the books. As Ulysses has said, these books go beyond the typical M/M genre boundaries; they are an excellent portrayal of the evolution of a family unit.

In one sense it's almost a pity that the books contain explicit sexual material, because I think Kaje is limiting her audience primarily to those who read M/M material. And she really is good enough, and her stories have a broad enough appeal, that I think they would also be popular with people who don't care for explicit sexual scenes (gay or straight) in their reading material.

Anyway, as a reminder, here is the complete series: 4 novels and 3 shorts.

Life Lessons (Life Lessons, #1)
And to All a Good Night (Life Lessons, #1.5)
Getting It Right (Life Lessons, #1.8)
Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
Home Work (Life Lessons, #3)
Compensations (Life Lessons, #3.5)
Learning Curve (Life Lessons, #4)

(I'm afraid I'm not too thrilled with the covers for this series, mostly because the models pictured don't look as I imagined the characters AT ALL when reading. For one thing, they both look much too young.)