What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > Childrens / YA - Early Humans by the sea, young girl /s

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (sasha_m) | 11 comments Ok one more. I think it was early 1990's. Softcover.

Plot is a young girl who is part of a traveling family or clan of early Homo Sapiens who feed off of shellfish by the ocean by using natural plant material as nets. I remember there being an afterward about how this was one theory of human evolution where instead of becoming wild game hunters early humans became ocean scavengers. Took place along the the desert cost of Africa. Was not too scientific in the text; written for young people, it focused mainly on the girl's experiences.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Sounds like The Kin by Peter Dickinson. It's a big book, but it's also been published as four separate stories, with a focus on the four main characters, for example, Noli's Story. I'm not sure which 'tribe member' invented the nets, as it was a while ago I read this.

Even if it's not your book, it's def. worth a read.

message 3: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (sasha_m) | 11 comments The Kin looks supper interesting, but it's not my book - thanks for the link!

My book would was shorter and for a younger readership.It had a definite scientific ideology but told with an accessible story line. The story took place almost entirely on a coastline - i remember sand being a huge theme. Also the publishing date would need to be early 1990's at the latest (I read it a while ago).

message 4: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1027 comments Is it A Bone From a Dry Sea by Peter Dickinson? It sounds like it.

message 5: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (sasha_m) | 11 comments That's it! It fits everything. Thanks so much for the help. So happy to find this book again :-) It's funny I totally forgot about the "modern" part of the story. Must have been engrossed by the "Sea-ape" tribe.

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1027 comments The Sea-ape tribe is much more interesting, in my opinion.

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6990 comments Mod
Congrats Sasha. I'll shelve the book and move this down to Solved for you.

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) I should've come up with A Bone From a Dry Sea - same author after all, and I read it more recently than The Kin. Thank you Pamela! Peter Dickinson is wonderful.

message 9: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1027 comments You're welcome.