What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief (Sammy Keyes, #1)
This topic is about Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA teen girl solving crime spending time on roof of city apartment [s]

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (sasha_m) | 11 comments Probable date 1995-2000.

Teenage girl detective solves crime in the big city / inner city and spends a lot of time on her roof. May have been a daughter of a single parent. May have had a close male friend / love interest. Might have been slightly punk. I believe it was a series. Sorry for the sketchy info.

message 2: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (sasha_m) | 11 comments bumping this up, hopefully to find the title!

message 3: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl (cherylllr) I'm glad you're bumping - someone will know it eventually. If it's any comfort, you have had 45 views, so people are trying. You gave good clues, too.

message 4: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (sasha_m) | 11 comments Thanks for the support. If it is ID'd I may just read it again to see if it is as good as I remember. Sometimes YA books stand the test of adulthood :-)

Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) (goldenfurproductions) | 393 comments I keep thinking that it's Sammy Keyes but I don't think that's it :(

message 6: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (sasha_m) | 11 comments It's not, but a good try! Girl detective stories are great.

message 7: by Clover (new)

Clover (bibliophilic-fae) | 22 comments Ahhhhhh, I know I saw this somewhere! Did she know a lot about flowers and their meanings?

message 8: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (sasha_m) | 11 comments I can't remember that but I wouldn't rule it out. If you think of the name of that book/series please post it!

message 9: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4730 comments Here's a few girl detective series to checkout. These are the first books in the series:

The Case Of The Marmalade Cat from The O'Brien Detective Agency http://www.goodreads.com/series/50500...

The Dark Stairs from The Herculeah Jones series
http://www.goodreads.com/series/98558...

Lulu Dark Can See Through Walls from Lulu Dark series
http://www.goodreads.com/series/73661...

Mysterious Monday from the Juli Scott Super Sleuth series
http://www.goodreads.com/series/67024...

Undercover Cleo Undercover Cleo by Anne Scott I'm almost positive this was part of a series b/c I had two of them as a tween.

Uncovering Sadie's Secrets from the Bianca Balducchi series
http://www.goodreads.com/series/64320...

If none of these, do you remember if the book was more on the dark side or were they more cozy mysteries? And, were the mysteries dealing with extreme crimes like murder or things like missing items or pranks?

Also if these aren't correct, at least you have a ton of girl detective books to add to your To-Read list ;)

message 10: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl (cherylllr) And don't forget, when you look at the pages for any of these books, you might see similar items in the 'readers also enjoyed' (now a box in the upper right, under your profile link). Lulu Dark had several possibilities....

message 11: by Marinii (new)

Marinii | 4 comments Clover wrote: "Ahhhhhh, I know I saw this somewhere! Did she know a lot about flowers and their meanings?"

That part about the flowers sound somewhat like the Enola Holmes series.
"Sherlock Holmes' unknown younger sister debuted in Nancy Springer's "The Case of the Missing Marquess: An Enola Holmes Mystery," a 2007 Edgar Nominee for Best Juvenile Mystery. Enola, 14, never had much contact with her brother. It's 1888 in England, and their mother disappears on Enola's birthday. She leaves behind a book on the meaning of flowers and a booklet of ciphers. Enola, "alone" spelled backward, heads for London to find her mother. On her way, she pursues the kidnappers of a young nobleman and finds her true calling. Enola's plucky character and the detail of the story and setting made this a favorite. Ages 10 and older."

(from Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/entertainment... )

Unfortunately it's too new to be the book Sasha is looking for.
The Case of the Missing Marquess

message 12: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (sasha_m) | 11 comments Thanks for the help everyone, but it's none of those listed. I'm sure the date was before 2000. Also, some of the books mentioned were a little too young. This would be for YA, but not 11, more like 13-17. The girl had to deal with some more adult topics and I don't think any of the stories were encyclopedia-brown-esq(as in no missing pets, hats, etc).

I'll keep looking through the recommended books on the bottom of the listings and see what I can dig up.

BTW The Herculeah Jones series isn't my series but it sounds pretty interesting!

message 13: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (blafferty) | 76 comments This rings bells with me. Did the girl have some sort of spider-related ability? I'll have to go find the title of mine but it seems to fit all the characteristics. I remember at one point she decides she has to stop shaving her legs because the hairs act as sensors for some sort of ability. There's also a boy with shaved head, possibly homeless, who is a friend or love interest.

message 14: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4730 comments Here's another for you to checkout. The Jennie McGrady series has more adult topics, like drug abuse, killings, and the main character's missing father.

http://www.goodreads.com/series/64290...

Too Many Secrets Too Many Secrets (Jennie McGrady Mysteries, #1) by Patricia H. Rushford

message 15: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1 comments What about the Sammy Keyes books? Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief was the first..

message 16: by Yara (new)

Yara | 12 comments This is a long shot, but could it be "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"?

message 17: by Js700 (new)

Js700 | 107 comments Kiki Strike? Inside the Shadow City

This is a children's series, but all I remember about the book is the main character crime fighting/detective-ing on a roof, so there's one strike for it!

:)

message 18: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (sasha_m) | 11 comments I think Sammy Keyes is the one. Or at least seems to be the closest fitting to the plot lines I was thinking. She's abandoned, tough, smart, and she lives in the city. She's 13 and the book was published in 1998. The only thing missing is the love interest, but maybe that's in later books. It all fits! Thanks so so much for your help Louise! I'll have to go pick up a copy.

message 19: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6990 comments Mod
Do you want to move this down to Solved Sasha? Or do you want to move it down to Possibly solved until you check it out.

message 20: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (sasha_m) | 11 comments Let's say solved. Once I read the description it was so close that I'm betting my mind may have added in a few things that weren't there over the years. Thanks!

message 21: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 5 comments Sasha- I think I know the series your interested in, i've been looking for it too and Its not sammy keyes. the young girl had curly red hair on the cover she lived with her single mom who was an activist in one of the novels that had something to do with a fried chicken joint. the flowers had significance in her trip to Alaska and she had a male best friend who was with her solving the mysteries am i right? I just can not find this series so pleaseeeeee keep looking

message 22: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl (cherylllr) Danielle, since this thread is already marked solved, please let us help you better ... just start a new thread for your own query. Be sure to put important info. in the subject line, and give as much detail as you can about the book, including where you got it (library, store, download) and when you read it.

message 23: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 1 comments I have been trying to remember the titles in this series as well! I feel like there were four books in the series, at least that I read. I remember her living with her single mom by a fast food place with a chicken mascot (and she could always smell the fast food chicken smell coming from the restaurant...?). One of the clues that helped her solve a mystery was wrappers or sandwich containers from that place. I also remember her having an old lady neighbor who had Elvis's jacket? In one of the books, she goes to visit her lumberjack dad in a logging community? It's all a bit fuzzy and vague. I remember her curly red hair on the cover of the first book. I would love to know the titles and author!

message 24: by Paisley (last edited Dec 02, 2016 11:00PM) (new)

Paisley | 1 comments The book you are looking for is below.... I've been looking for years and finally found it...

Stevie Diamond Series ~ How Come the Best Clues are always in the garbage

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

message 25: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36945 comments Mod
Sasha is still a member of the group so if she sees this she can let us know if that, rather than "Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief," is the correct book.