Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) Hush, Hush discussion

Is Nora Grey a Strong Character??

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Medha (last edited Jun 08, 2013 11:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Medha In Most of reviews about Hush, Hush, readers are comparing Nora to be Weak Character and quite similar to Bella Swan.
What do You Think?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Nora doesn't resemble Bella that much. She's certainly less brainless than some of the other YA "heroines" I've read about.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't remember her coming across as weak- certainly not in the way Bella Swan did. She's confident and intelligent and there certainly wasn't as much 'does he like me?' 'he's so cute!' as I've found in other YA novels. For a while she doesn't want anything to do with him, but she is kind of forced into his company more than anything else, as she needs his cooperation to complete a biology assignment.

Admittedly, I was a bit younger when I read this, but I never thought of Nora as weak. She always went after what she wanted- she broke into Scott's flat when she needed information, and she went sleuthing in Portland when she wanted to find out more about Elliot's past. In comparison to many other YA heroines, I'd definitely say she had her head screwed on.

Samantha The Escapist Nora is willful, stubborn and takes initiative.

That said, she's a touch delusional, jumps to conclusions, and frequently goes off half-cocked.

I wouldn't call her strong, but I wouldn't call her weak. I honestly pretty much hate her, but she's a decent balance of strength/weakness as characters go, I just don't get the impression that Fitzpatrick thought of Nora as being slightly crazy/stupid which is where I take issue with the books.

Alexandria I don't think she is a weak character per-say. However I found her neediness overwhelmingly annoying. Especially in the last one. I would have liked her much more if she was ore passionate about the fight, especially after what happened to Patch.

Alexandra Hale No. She fell in love way to hard

Shefali Bheda I dont think Nora turns out to be a strong char...moreover d lack of control over her mind wich Jules took an advantage of shows this..
even she has been confused with her feelings till the end

Never Trust a Duck :] I think she kind of was in the 2nd book but in the 3rd book she was really independent and I really liked her as a character. In the first book I didn't really take her character into account as much because the plot didn't really seem to revolve around that. But if you are feeling a little unsure about the series after the 2nd book, KEEP READING or at least read up to the 3rd book (Silence). If you don't like the first few chapters of Silence (1-5 is a good amount) I would say the series is not for you.

Lauren Stoolfire Samantha The Escapist wrote: "Nora is willful, stubborn and takes initiative.

That said, she's a touch delusional, jumps to conclusions, and frequently goes off half-cocked.

I wouldn't call her strong, but I wouldn't call he..."

Agreed!

Lillie Bail she is amazing way better then bella swan

Amber I think that nora is strong but she's feels very confused and out of place when her world basically falls apart. I mean, wouldn't you?

Rondie Lopezz hard not to be completely disappointed in her decisions but I felt there was a reason as to why she was compelled to Patch....Bella and Nora two complete different characters

Keiley Short answer? No, she isn't a strong character, and she actually shares a disturbing amount of characteristics with the girl everyone loves to hate, Bella Swan. I think she's incredibly weak. She might be a slight improvement on Bella Swan, but she isn't by any means strong, or even not weak. She's just not Bella

Claire I don't think Nora is weak, but I think she is naive and impulsive. I kind of wish she would grow up.

Ayesha She's a perfect epitome of Mary Sue.

Medha Katrin (kitkatkathy!) wrote: "There's been worse characters...to me she's fine, not too weak but not too strong- like she's just human (or was really). By the end, i'd say she was strong.
ex.I mean in Crescedo she did't break d..."

lol. Right!!

Hannah I thought she was going to be stronger than she turned out to be. I was pretty disappointed in her when she just fell into Patch's arms at the end when he admitted he had been trying to KILL HER for like the entire book?? I know he proved his loyalty to her or whatever at the end but I would personally be a little hesitant to be with someone who had planning on murdering me for an extended period of time...

message 18: by Rose (new) - rated it 1 star

Rose I think that she is intelligent, but she should have more faith in people. I understand why she doesn't completely trust Patch, since he tried to kill her. I completely don't blame her for loving him. Heck, she's shown more restraint with him than I would have, and most people consider me to be Miss Goody-Two-Shoes. It makes a more interesting story for her to be running head first into situations that could kill her, but i remember grinding my teeth whenever she totally miscalculated risks and decided to go take on immortals by herself.

message 19: by Hannah (new)

Hannah At the beginning she is intelligent and has her goals set, but she becomes progressively more needy and whiny. She starts to resemble Bella, mostly in Silence. In Crescendo and Hush, Hush she wasn't afraid to fight. But over time her girl-power sort of burns out.

message 20: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna she has her moments but overall i would say yes she is

message 21: by Temple Rose (last edited Sep 17, 2013 02:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Temple Rose I hate Nora with a passion she got so whiny and annoying she dosen't inspire strenght in my opinion.

message 22: by Julie (last edited Sep 17, 2013 06:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Julie she is

message 23: by Kage (new) - rated it 1 star

Kage hahaha, no she's not.
she's bi polar is what she is.

message 24: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Shaw She is kinda strong but weak with her emotions. I like her as a character

Jessica Harrison In ways she is, because she ended up going to devil craft. She also lied to Patch about it. She let her fears over come her.

message 26: by Sam (last edited Feb 02, 2014 04:29PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sam While I haven't read the Twilight series, I know enough about it to say that Bella's character is basically what I see in Nora. I personally don't like this saga very much at all, not just because of the characters and the plot, but also because of how it's written. Still, the tone of the story as written by the author matches perfectly with what I see in Nora--ignorant, way-too-naive, not-too-educated, no sense of filtering before acting (which honestly is how I saw Becca Fitzpatrick writing the book, considering all the misplaced commas, poor character development, and lack of smooth transitioning between scenes), and much more. Personally, I don't like Nora, I don't like her lack of common sense, I don't like how she jumps to conclusions and believes everything she hears and asks herself the same question fifteen times in the same chapter. But I feel like I'm being to harsh, so let's put it this way: Everybody has a capable thinking mind; some people just don't have a filter between their brain and their mouth. Or conscience. Or anything.

Hannah YES YES YES. I like Nora, but I don't know if she becomes weak in the later books (I've only read the first two). I love her sarcastic tone and I like how she thinks she can save people and be independent when she really needs help. I love her relationship with Patch because it was so romantic, but at times I thought her being insecure was kind of annoying. But Marcie was kind of throwing herself at Patch and he was kind of letting her. The only thing I want to comment is the fact that Vee has TERRIBLE choice in boyfriends. The last two boyfriends she had were evil, so......

message 28: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena Muo I hate her with a passion. She is quite weak minded, and is extremely annoying and whiny. She uses her best friend Vee most of the time and is incredibly hypocritical at times.

Starrisa I am only reading the second book, but i would say that Nora isn't exactly a Strong Character but she isn't exactly a Weak Character either. I would say that she has good intentions but idiotic plans that are not well-thought out. Hence, i found her quite annoying in the first book, because her plans seldom work. Ultimately, she always needs Patch to help her :( There are many reviews regarding Hush, Hush, and i am trying to continue with the series without tearing my hair out (unfortunately with the Marcie business in the second book, aka the one i'm currently reading, i think i'll find it hard to continue)