Valar Morghulis--Valar Dohaeris discussion

Game of Thrones (TV series) > Season Three, Episode Ten: Reactions (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Here be...finale.

Putting this up a little early because I won't be on all day Sunday.

Should be interesting. I'm working a lot of hours this week, so I'm not sure when I'll see the episode. I'll surely be back in this thread after I have, though...

message 2: by Alison (new)

Alison (NoTheOtherAli) | 2 comments This is more in reference to the episode 9 reactions than episode 10 but this has SPOILERS for an event I think is probably going to happen in this one... Be careful if you haven't read the books, I could be wrong...

I feel really sorry for all those people who were so upset by the red wedding that they've given up on the series because even though GRRM tends to play with your emotions by killing off characters you love, he also kills off characters you hate. The red wedding was devastating but those that have stopped watching the series won't get to see GRRM redeem himself with another wedding.
People who watch GoT and expect it to be all sunshine and light confuse me... They saw Eddard Stark beheaded in season 1, they saw Winterfell destroyed in Season 2, and yet they're so shocked and angry by the deaths of Robb and Catelyn that they refuse to watch any more! They just give up on a show they clearly loved enough to be invested in the characters!
I don't think they quite get the best thing about GoT - even though the setting is complete fantasy, the characters could almost be real people. In GoT, as in life, the good guys don't always win. Death is a very real and ever-looming thing. GRRM doesn't let you forget that, and it makes you cling onto your favourite characters tighter - you know they might die, so you have to hope that they live.

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 54 comments Alison, you can use spoiler tags:

(Spoilers re events that occur after E09)
(view spoiler)

message 4: by mark (last edited Jun 09, 2013 02:37PM) (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments i have a feeling that all of the word-of-mouth generated by the Red Wedding may have created more interest rather than stifled it. at least that was my impression listening to people at a party on Friday, many of whom decided to do a marathon viewing this weekend due to all of the commentary by people who were shocked & appalled at the last episode. they really wanted to see what they've been missing. i think the show may lose some viewers of course - and a lot of the reactions i've read were of the immediate, visceral kind to what they've just seen, so who really knows how many in the long run. i'm reminded of the episode in Six Feet Under when Michael gets kidnapped and humiliated by a junkie. a lot of people said they were swearing off the show because of that but the series stayed popular until its end.

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Those that can't handle it should bow out. They were warned: "If you think this ends well, you haven't been paying attention." If they can't appreciate it, then good-riddance, they're not the right audience for it anyway.

message 6: by Larissa (new)

Larissa | 47 comments That was an hour of awesomeness :D loved this episode and I'm really satisfied by the fact that we pretty much saw everyone

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I thought so too.

message 8: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments same here. particularly loved the Cersei/Tyrion, Shae/Varys, Arya/Hound, Stannis/Melisandre/Davos/Gendry/Greyscale Girl scenes. i guess that's over half the episode! well i could have done without Theon/Ramsay and went and fixed a drink instead of watching it. but i guess i understand the necessity of it. now hopefully we get a whole season free of the Theon-centered torture. there can't possibly be more, can there?

three seasons, three great final images. first a burning circle, then a march (of monsters) in the ice last season, and now a circle of humanity surrounding Dany. awesome shots.

photo tumblr_m53zrypqth1r13y6qo1_500_zpsbc38aff0.gif

photo tumblr_m53zrypqth1r13y6qo2_500_zps30c55365.gif

wish i had a gif of tonight's image!

message 9: by Larissa (new)

Larissa | 47 comments Yeah I totally agree with you about the Theon parts... But they had to show how broken down he was in order to accept his new "name" so like you said hopefully that's all the torture for now.

It was probably the shortest scenes in the episode but I'm really glad that Jamie finally made it back home and the look he shared with cersei was perfect.

Also the Jon/Ygritte scene was an addition right? I'm glad they had that moment

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

You know nothing, Jon Snow *sniffle*

Decent episode, but a but of a letdown after last weeks.

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Number 9 is always the most shocking, I like how we get to calm down on Number 10. It'd be too abrupt to end it on something horrific.

As well as the scenes already mentioned, I loved Asha's scene (wherever her name is here), yeah, FU old man, I'm a stand up bitch and I'm going after my baby brother. I never liked her as much as I did in this singular moment. Not for Theon, but for her strong character.

And Dani's final scene, the look of sheer joy on her face. Mother. It was a powerful scene.

message 12: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Jackie wrote: "And Dani's final scene, the look of sheer joy on her face. Mother. It was a powerful scene."

I think that is most expression I've seen in her face since last season. I was glad to see that she can smile.

message 13: by Jackie (last edited Jun 10, 2013 11:31AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) That's what I like, that she could show emotion, usually she has to keep a poker-face when dealing with all those assholes.

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 152 comments I really enjoyed the finale last night. They showed each story and closed things up without answering questions. So, in a way, there were some good cliffhanger questions open for those who haven't read the series.

There were some great moments in the episode too. I continue to feel a since of being "rewarded (?)" when I watch the show. The acting in it is superb and makes me love the story even more.

Flip on soapbox or disregard:
I loved the closing scene with Danerys. Seeing all of the slaves poor out of the city walls like that was breathtaking. It's one of those moments I was like, "cool!" when I read it. But it's so much different when you see it. Make sense? The end image is another circle. This time it's a circle of people/hands all reaching for Misa/Mother/Danerys. I looked over at my husband with teary eyes (so emotional when it comes to Danerys this season lol) and said, "You know I disagree with Jorah and some readers. Yes, her army is full of slaves, but because of what she has done for them...They would fight to their death for her. There is no amount of loyalty any knight in Westeros has like that. She is a Queen in my mind."

And flip off soapbox. :)

message 15: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Clapping at the soapbox lady! Well said.

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 152 comments Jackie wrote: "Clapping at the soapbox lady! Well said."

lol, thanks ;) Sometimes you just have to let it all out.

message 17: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments speaking of soapboxes, i made the unfortunate decision to visit The Onion's avclub to read reviews of the episode and see what various people had commented. and there i learned that that last scene had quite a lot of people up in arms (puntime!) because it was apparently really "colonial". meaning that folks took exception to very white Dany freeing a crowd of mainly brown slaves. at first i had to re-evaluate my first reaction of being moved and emotionally affected by that awesome scene. after all, i'm a pretty political person and i'm not white (well, i'm half-white), so shouldn't i have noticed that, taken exception to it, and seen the inherent colonialism too?

but then, happily, i came to my senses and realized they were all seriously off-base. would it have made things better if Dany was freeing a bunch of white slaves? or if Dany was brown and freeing a bunch of white slaves? i don't think so. but mainly i think the point that was missed by all those people is that Dany is not a colonist. in some ways i don't think the color of anyone's skin mattered because the lack of colonial goals was not in place. she was freeing slaves because first, she hates slavery and second, she is building an army. and i just have never seen freeing slaves as a colonial goal anyway.

so long story short, i am going to avoid the soapboxes of the avclub by not reading that website directly after an episode. it left a sour taste in the mouth (and actually it has all season due to various other foolish comments).

message 18: by Nermin (new)

Nermin  (narminstaley) | 66 comments Excellent episode. I cried while watching Cercei and Asha (yes, I refuse to call her Yara:D) scenes both of whom I normally dislike. What is happening to me?!

message 19: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments A Game of Thrones has made you soft and emotional! i call it the Red Wedding Blues.

message 20: by Nermin (new)

Nermin  (narminstaley) | 66 comments That must be it:D

message 21: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 25 comments I legit thought Ramsay was eating Theon's "toy" at first. Something is very wrong with me.

message 22: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments the gusto he had when scarfing down that sausage, i thought the same. poor Theon. the expressions that Balon & Asha had as they looked upon the dick in the box... classic. poor Theon. dick in a box! i think i would rather be dead.

message 23: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 25 comments @Narmin

Is that facebook style recap up yet? XD

message 24: by Nermin (last edited Jun 11, 2013 01:11AM) (new)

Nermin  (narminstaley) | 66 comments For a second I also thought he was eating Theon's (in)famous dick :D

No, Rahul, it's not up yet, they usually post it either Tuesday or Wednesday nights (according to Baku city time anyway:D) But don't worry, I frequently check that website and I'm going to post it here as soon as it is released:)

message 25: by Jon (last edited Jun 11, 2013 01:24AM) (new)

Jon (jon17) | 54 comments @mark
This is what happened in the aforementioned scene:
Dany freed the slaves of Yunkai.

@Nermin
You are having a Jaime-like transformation. Sorry about that.

@Raven
That was the director's intent.
They didn't pick him to direct episodes 9 and 10 for his subtlety :)

I liked everything again, though I wish there were some cliffhangers.

The Hound and Arya scene was good with the coin and the killing and such. "Next time you're about to do something like that, tell me first"

Roose was good. Outcreeped the Late Walder Frey, easily.

Hodor had some good lines.

Sam and Aemon.

Cersei: Leave.

Tywin and Tyrion talking with their eyes.

PsychoJoff and his giddiness.

Sansa.

OK I'll stop since I'm just listing every scene.

message 26: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 25 comments Haha I am so sure there will be too many memes of Ramsay holding that pork sausage :D

Theon and Podrick seem to be the best lovers in the series.

message 27: by Nermin (new)

Nermin  (narminstaley) | 66 comments I loved Hodor's lines as well! But seriously, I'm going to miss the show..

message 28: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 25 comments Haha I loved when Hodor shouts his name in the well :D And when Sam recognizes him, he lets out a grin :D

message 29: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (small_god) I almost cried together with Ygritte, poor girl. Roose Bolton was good (I think I like him in the books too, is something wrong with me?). And of course the Hound...
(view spoiler)

message 30: by Nermin (new)

Nermin  (narminstaley) | 66 comments (view spoiler)

message 31: by Jon (last edited Jun 11, 2013 06:05AM) (new)

Jon (jon17) | 54 comments (view spoiler)

Fun fact:
Did you know the actor playing the Hound lives near Wester Ross?

message 32: by Nermin (new)

Nermin  (narminstaley) | 66 comments No, I didn't know (view spoiler)

message 33: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (small_god) (view spoiler)

message 34: by Nermin (new)

Nermin  (narminstaley) | 66 comments (view spoiler)

message 35: by Larissa (new)

Larissa | 47 comments Jon wrote: " (view spoiler)"

yes! love that! can it all please happen

message 36: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments ok, I've seen the episode. Was able to sneak it in late last night while doing a load of laundry.

What y'all said. Great episode. It was a bit anti-climactic after last week, but by design I think. They seem to sucker punch us in episode 9 every season and then react to that as well as set up the next season.

Everyone was great and I'm not even sure I had a favorite scene. I really felt sick for Arya when she had to see DireRobb. But I loved how she dealt with the dude that took credit.

message 37: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 54 comments Nermin wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Richard (new)

Richard Sutton (richardsutton) | 81 comments It was the perfect cap to season three. All about revenge and retribution, debasement and a great set-up for next season, when Danyris learns another lesson and tumbles from her high horse a bit. I was also glad to finally see the Arya Stark I'd been missing. Those A.H.s SO needed killing! I'm gonna go back to the books to hold me until next year...

message 39: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (small_god) Jon, I like Tywin too, at last someone who understands me. ;)
And as for the Hound - I agree with Jon (again), we can't call him a hero, but he definitely isn't a villain. He does what is necessary for survival. This is a brutal world. Sandor did what Joffrey (his master) told him, if he hadn't killed the boy it's likely HE would have been killed. Life made Sandor what he is. And he is a killer, a killer with some moral conscience, a complex person. A "bad guy" who is able to love and care. That's why I like him, and that's why I can't despise him. At least he is not boring (like Starks:P).
You say a murderer, and what about Arya killing a poor stable boy? As I said - the world is brutal.

message 40: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) The Hound summed it up beautifully for Sansa last season: “Stannis is a killer. The Lannisters are killers. Your father was a killer. Your brother is a killer. Your sons will be killers someday. The world was built by killers. So you’d better get used to looking at them.”

They're all killers, murderers. That's life, and death, in Westeros.

message 41: by Richard (new)

Richard Sutton (richardsutton) | 81 comments It's almost poetic... although it needs Metallica as accompaniment. At least Sam's passing out the dragonglass so that they can start to kill something besides human beings.

message 42: by Larissa (new)

Larissa | 47 comments You're completely right. When first introduced to they hound's character I thought he was scary and mean but the more you learn about him the more you realize like everyone else in Westeros he does what he has to in order to survive (view spoiler)

message 43: by Richard (new)

Richard Sutton (richardsutton) | 81 comments He'd need a serious make-over first. His table manners aren't too good either. Re: Sansa's future, aslong as she doesn't fall for Littlefinger's line of B.S., she'll be fine.

message 44: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) The Hound has moments of great kindness and tenderness, especially to the Stark girls. He's like many others we love and hate, not all good and not all bad. It's those fluctuations that make them realistic.
The only two that I think are all bad is Joffrey and Ramsay, one is bored and spoiled, the other is insane and should be put down.

message 45: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments I liked how Sansa and Tyrion were actually starting to bond a little. Of course, that got tossed when the Lannisters orchestrated the murder of her mother and brother.

message 46: by Larissa (new)

Larissa | 47 comments Yes I liked that too! Finally Sansa was not being so uptight

message 47: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) And learning how to see past appearances. Sansa is finally growing up.

message 48: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments She actually talked to another highborn about poop.

message 49: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (small_god) Jackie wrote: "The Hound summed it up beautifully for Sansa last season: “Stannis is a killer. The Lannisters are killers. Your father was a killer. Your brother is a killer. Your sons will be killers someday. T..."

Yes, but there are "righteous killers" (Starks, Dany, Tyrion), "despicable killers" (Gregor Clegane, Walder Frey, Joffrey) and fascinating killers (Sandor Clegane, Tywin Lannister, Jaime Lannister before he loses his hand). And I have a weakness for the chracters from the third group. ;) Roose is somewhere between despicable and fascinating. :)

message 50: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments for me the great thing about Sandor & Jaime are their character arcs - watching them slowly become decent human beings, thanks to Sansa & Brienne (and other factors like losing a hand and showing cowardice at Blackwater). Tywin... not so much and no real character arc. he always remains despicable. (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3