Christian Readers discussion

If you could fix one thing...

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ryan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:33AM) (new)

Ryan | 20 comments Mod
What would it be? This really gets at the heart of what you think the biggest problem in the world is.

message 2: by Joseph-Daniel Peter Paul Abondius (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:02PM) (new)

Joseph-Daniel Peter Paul Abondius (bookaholic203) I would fix all the hatred between religions and start world peace to the max

message 3: by Debbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Debbie | 4 comments I believe that the only way to change the world is one heart at a time.

message 4: by Saimandy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Saimandy Agidani | 2 comments if i could fix one thing in the world ,i would make everyone filled with so much love it would be impossible to hate.

message 5: by Jana (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Jana | 5 comments I would teach people why it's important to have respect for your fellow human being, as well as every living thing. Life would be so much more joyful in so many ways.

message 6: by Llama (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Llama Castillo | 4 comments I would have everyone learn to biblically love one another. That would solve a lot of problems in itself.

message 7: by Hetty (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

Hetty | 6 comments I would make everyone love one to another with agape love and receive gospel. so that not every single soul will be lost in hell.
I also want to go back when I firstly hear JESUS voice when he ask me to learn about the way of thruth and life in HIM. I miss HIS voice so much.

message 8: by Allie (new)

Allie | 1 comments i want people to discover God's unconditional love and sufficient grace. And then receive His grace and forgiveness.

message 9: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Hogan (fishnoises) | 4 comments I would want to start with myself and fix my shortcomings before I started on anyone else!!!!!!!!!!!

message 10: by DROPPING OUT (new)

DROPPING OUT Oh, Caroline - Your "problem" is hardly new!
Take comfort in the words of St. John Climacus (6th century): "Since I am not so proud as to pry into the gifts of God, I cannot say why it is that some people appear to be naturally inclined to temperance or silence or purity or modesty or meekness or contrition. Others have to fight hard against their own natures to acquire these, they have to force themselves on to the best of their ability, suffering occasional defeat along the way; and it seems to me that the very fact of having to struggle against their own natures somehow puts them into a higher category than the first kind."

message 11: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn Caroline, me too! Glass houses and all that...

message 12: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Hogan (fishnoises) | 4 comments Thanks Phil, really I what I meant was that I think we want to find ways to fix the world, but they don't try to work on themselves! (Matt 7:3)
Changing the world starts with ourselves, and serving the Lord.

message 13: by Karen & Gerard (new)

Karen & Gerard (wwwgoodreadscomprofilekzemek) | 2 comments If I could, I would fix dysfunctional families by having all marriages last until death, with husbands loving their wives as Christ loves the church, wives being submissive to their own husbands, and neither having any kind of addictions and both in agreement on raising their children to love God and others and to be obedient.

message 14: by Midnightrose (new)

Midnightrose | 3 comments i would want to fix everyone's eyes so they could really see who Jesus really is and all the dimensions that we can't see now (i recently heard that there could be up to 10 and we only are able to comprend 4)

message 15: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (cmkeel) | 3 comments I would redistribute all the world's wealth so as to totally obliterate the chasm between the have and the have not's.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1 comments Control. everyone wants it and noone wants to give it up.

message 17: by Glenn (new)

Glenn | 31 comments Control? Maybe the wisest are those that always knew they never had it.

message 18: by Glenda (last edited Aug 21, 2008 07:08PM) (new)

Glenda Rouxel (rouxel) | 13 comments I would fix me!

message 19: by Eric (new)

Eric | 5 comments Adam and Eve would have never eaten the fruit. :)

message 20: by Glenda (new)

Glenda Rouxel (rouxel) | 13 comments But then how would we know how much God loves us? No I think God is the ultimate author, Man meets God, man loses god, God saves man, God gets man again..... *sigh*

message 21: by Kymberly (new)

Kymberly (freedom2fly) | 109 comments Mod
You know I hear alot about this question lately. Many people say, World Peace. Make everyone stop hating one another. I am not harpen' on ya. I just think we got to look at this from God's perspective not the world's or our own.
My question is: Can't God do that?
Yes or No? Why or Why not?

message 22: by Kymberly (new)

You know the only thing I would like to do and can start right now, today, is tell and show people about JESUS!! That's the only thing I believe that will change this world!

message 23: by Chris (new)

Chris Lawton | 1 comments In response to message #22, it is my belief God has "done that", and I'll expand and let you ponder if my thoughts are reasonable. God has given humans the ability to stop hating each other and to obtain world peace. He also, intentionally, gave humans the ability of "free will", so we can choose to love, hate, be humble or proud, etc. It is our own choices that turn the world in different directions. I suppose you could imagine the entire world with God at each person's side and everyone choosing (with God's help) to act as Jesus has taught us - and then you could say "God has given us world peace".

By the way, because this is a book group I'll mention my references. I am far from an expert in Christian living, if expert is even the right term. However, the thoughts I have just written come from these recent books I have read - The Reason for God by Timothy Keller, Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, and The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis. All of these I recommend.

message 24: by Glenn (new)

Glenn | 31 comments hey Kym, I think we always struggle with God's prespective. I think if I could fix one thing God would want me to stick to simple things like fixing those hamster water bottles that insist on dripping, or something along those lines. I'm sure He wouldn't want me contriving world peace since His Word mentions nothing of that in the future. The whole question "What would you do?" just goes to root of all this life experience for Christians (God's will vs the believers will) Some of us are better at giving up that control to God, others of us battle it every day. Thank God for death or the rapture, whichever comes first! :-)

message 25: by Kymberly (new)

I agree with Glen and Chris. I believe that I should pray for God's will above all else that I pray for because His Will- His Plan is way better than I can ever imagine. Thank you both for speaking up.

message 26: by Kymberly (new)

AMEN SISTER!

message 27: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) I wouldn't even try to "fix" one thing. I don't have God's foreknowlege so I'd be afraid of doing something that even though motivated by love would turn out wrong. After Christ FIXED everything with his sacrificial death, the way to heal mankind was provided when he died and rose again. I'm just one very limited mortal being. The world is too big for me to tackle. And so praying God's will be done IS THE BEST.
Lyn

message 28: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 20 comments Mod
How amazing it will be when I get to meet all of you in heaven. It's so interesting to hear all of your thoughts and see the commanility of the love of Christ in all of you.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Lyn,

I love your answer! It's very wise :)

God bless,
Ellen

message 30: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) Thanks, Ellen.
I aspire to wisdom.
Lyn