The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Primeval: New World on SyFy

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daran (last edited Jun 08, 2013 10:01PM) (new)

Daran | 599 comments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZollB7...

Stretching the term "original series" to the breaking point, Sy Fy has launched an American continuance of one of my favorite British sci fi series.

I'll say that I loved how cheesy the original series was, and I hope they keep up the melodrama (after watching the first episode, they seem to be), and I hope they can keep the storyline consistent. Also keeping the majority of their actors for an entire season would help too.

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (apsalar) | 43 comments Oh, thanks for the tip. Liked the brittish Primeval (need more dinosaurs on tv), so it will be interesting to see how this will be in comparison.

message 3: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6668 comments Mod
It's already been canceled FYI. There will just be 13 episodes.

message 4: by PointyEars42 (new)

PointyEars42 | 44 comments In the original, the cheesiness is entertaining. In a copy cat - not so much. I was very disappointed. The original ended on such a high note (a 5 season long back story, fast-paced action, global consequences, lots of tech) that to move over to a team starting from scratch feels... awkward? ... unnecessary? ... like a reboot is easier than coming up with a new idea and I hate it when they do that? The last episode or so of "New World" was much more in keeping with what I liked about the original and its sad they killed the series just when it was finding its feet. I suspect viewers who are new to it won't have the issues with the series I did.

message 5: by Trike (new)

Trike | 7939 comments Daran wrote: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZollB7...

Stretching the term "original series" to the breaking point, Sy Fy has launched an American continuance of one of my favorite British sci fi series..."

SyFy has always done this with their "Original Series" appellation. As has been pointed out, this was a series that ran last year in Canada and is already done.

I think the first episode was pretty good, and who doesn't like more Connor? Despite the cheesiness, it's way better than Defiance.

message 6: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments Rob wrote: "It's already been canceled FYI. There will just be 13 episodes."

Unless it gets a US audience. After the success they had with Lost Girl, they are trying to see if they can replicate it with both this series, and the Sinbad series. If it does well over the summer, they may well start making new episodes in the fall.

message 7: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Anderson (shinimegami23) | 39 comments I loved the new version of the show. I wish it hadn't been canceled :(