What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Stay
This topic is about Stay
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. YA or NA mother-daughter + wealthy employer [s]

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tdr85 | 28 comments Story is told through the eyes of the daughter of a live-in domestic who's employer is also her mother's best friend. They live in a small house beside the main house. At one point the employer, wife of guy who is very wealthy, offers a cheque for $175000 to daughter. Daughter believes it is a payoff so she won't pursue employer's son.

Novel was probably written within last 5 yrs.

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Hum, I think I remember this. But no idea what the title is. I'll check my lists and see if I've put in there, and get back to you later.

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jun 09, 2013 08:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ok, 50 pages into my list--and have a splitting headache now. :o) I'm going to suggest you visit Janet Evanovich's site. She had books that she'd published before the Stephanie Plum books that were romances (and from what I remember, this is a romance). It MIGHT be one of those, since they've all been re-issued in the last few years. In the mean time, I'll keep looking.

Ok, another suggestion is Lori Foster. But I'm really going to have to take a break now, and get some work done around the house.

Tdr85 | 28 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Ok, another suggestion is Lori Foster. But I'm really going to have to take a break now, and get some work done around the house."

Thanks Ana, I'm pretty sure it wasn't Lori Foster, nor can I find a relevant description in any Janet Evanovich book.

Further info I've recall includes the fact that the protagonist was not YA but in her 20s. Romance wasn't a big part of the book, but the relationship between the rich woman employer, the mother, and her daughter was main focus. I think rich woman was close to an alcoholic, and I believe the mother dies early on in the novel perhaps of cancer.

Tdr--everything you say about the book makes me more and more sure that we are thinking of the same book. But I've had a migraine practically since my last message, so haven't felt up to doing any more looking in my library. I have over 3k books in it, and it does take a while. I'll keep looking tho, and maybe I'll find it yet.

Another day, another search for this book. I'll be back in a bit and let you know if I've found any other suggestions.

Tdr--I've been through my list of books here on GR and couldn't find it. I'm not 100% on entering books as I read them, so I could have not put it in. Or I could have just missed it. My book list is open if you want to look through it and see if anything looks familiar. (You just click on my Mermaid embroidery icon and it will pull up my profile. Then you just go through the books.)

I wish I could remember more about the story. I KNOW that the part with the Mother's friend isn't the main point of the story--is just a side bar, even though that sticks in the mind. But I can't remember what the rest of the book is about.

Tdr85 | 28 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Tdr--I've been through my list of books here on GR and couldn't find it. I'm not 100% on entering books as I read them, so I could have not put it in. Or I could have just missed it. My book lis..."

Thanks Ann. I'm going through my GR book list to see if I can remember.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 606 comments maybe you could do a compare books with Ann and see if one tha tyou have in common is it

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Smart, Dee!

Unfortunately, that didn't work Dee. :o( We didn't have many books in common. I just wish I could remember what the MAIN story was about. The bits with the mother's employer (and best friend) are tangential to the main story. But that's ALL I'm remembering right now, which is frustrating.

Tdr85 | 28 comments Bump - I believe the wealthy family's son lives in Rochester in the book. I also recall the mother is unhappy with her marriage but unwilling to do something about it, hence the close friendship with her maid. She has also given the maid's daughter the 175000 from her own savings not from her very wealthy husband.

Sigh, STILL can't remember what the main thrust of the story was. I know it centered around the daughter. But other than that . . . Still, I'll go through my list slower tomorrow or the next day (when I have hopefully have some time) and see if anything will jog my memory that way.

Christie | 153 comments It's Stay by Allie Larkin!!!
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/73...

I just read this book, after reading another one of these posts where it was also the solution, and as I'm reading it I was remembering this post and knew I had to come searching for it, lol. By the way, it's a great book. I stayed up half the night last night to finish it. :)

OOOHHH, I do (vaguely) remember reading that one Christie. And I remember really loving that dog. (And I'm definitely a CAT person, but that's one dog that I'd even be willing to live with.)

Tdr85 | 28 comments Thank you Christie, this is indeed the book.

message 18: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jul 15, 2013 03:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

YAY for us. :o) Glad to have that found. And, as said, the mother's friend-daughter thing was a very minor part of the story. I may have to re-read it now, just to refresh my memory of it.

Lol, and when I went to put it onto the group bookshelf, I discovered WHY I read it. It was previously searched for, and the description of that poster had me wanting to read it. :o)

Christie | 153 comments A previous search for this one is why I had put a request in for it at our library and had it brought in to read. :)