Tudor History Lovers discussion

Tudor Book Recomendations > The Boleyn King by Laura Andersen

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Lee | 2 comments The first book in a trilogy that is is a 'what if' book if King Henry XIII and Anne Boleyn had a son who became king. A fast read and makes you want the next two to come out ASAP!

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen (2noelle) | 37 comments I just downloaded this book after being on my wishlist awhile.. I am anxious to read it because I've often wondered what Henry VIII might have done if Katherine or Anne would have had a living son. Would Henry have asked for a divorce, would he have broken with Rome?

message 3: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Gibson (goodreadscomteresaindallas) I'm reading this right now. It's a lot better than I expected. I do find it interesting that Anne Boleyn was still disliked by the people, even though she gave them a king!

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura | 20 comments I enjoyed reading this one - just finished recently. I liked that it was something different. I always wondered what would have happened had Anne had a son at some point. I wish though that the book would have started when William was younger.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

So does that mean she didn't get her head chopped off?

message 6: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Gibson (goodreadscomteresaindallas) No, no head chopping. And I really didn't like the older Anne in this book, found her very uninteresting. I think the author could have done more with her, however the story really is more about the younger characters.

message 7: by annie (new)

annie (tellsnoemotion) | 147 comments Karen wrote: "I just downloaded this book after being on my wishlist awhile.. I am anxious to read it because I've often wondered what Henry VIII might have done if Katherine or Anne would have had a living son..."

If Catherine had a son, I would money down that Henry would NOT have asked for a divorce or split from the church.

Same as if Catherine had only produced Mary and NOT stillborns, I think Henry would have been more lenient with Anne, but instead she came to be what he had grown to hate.

This sounds like an interesting premise though, I'll have to DL it on my Kindle!

message 8: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Mod #4 (last edited Sep 06, 2013 04:15PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1887 comments If the Prince Henry that only survived a couple of months in 1511 had lived - he would never have considered divorcing Catherine, I suspect.

ETA: If Anne Boleyn had had a son, as in this novel - I see no reason why she would not have lived.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 20 comments I've always thought that as well. Henry's marital difficulites were because he wanted a son and was willing to do what it took to get one. I thought I read someplace that he considered Jane Seymour his true/only wife. I suspect it is because she was the only one that had a son who lived. Catherine would never have been divorced had she had a son. I don't believe Anne would have been executed either if she had a boy.

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie F | 6 comments loved it cant wait for #2 then #3.

message 11: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Bapat | 27 comments I haven't read this yet but I really want to.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1887 comments I would like to read this as well.

message 13: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 161 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "I would like to read this as well."

I really liked it. A very well thought out what-if novel. Quite a couple of surprising twists at the end, looking forward to book #2.

message 14: by Christina (new)

Christina | 3 comments I can't wait to see what happens in book 2! Anne is my favorite wife of Henry's so it was nice think about a happier ending for her

message 15: by Bailey (new)

Bailey | 2 comments Absolutely loved this one! Interesting to imagine how the Tudor court might have been a different place if Anne ha delivered Henry his heir. The second book in the series was great as well!

message 16: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (eab2012) I have read both of Laura Andersen's Boleyn King books and I am growing impatient waiting for the third. Without giving too much away, I was very disappointed in the way Anne Boleyn was written but I am in love with this Elizabeth.

message 17: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (nicola1) | 22 comments I've just pre-ordered the paperback version of this book and I am so so so excited to read it!