Undead & UnRead Book Club - Frisco Public Library discussion

The Night Circus
This topic is about The Night Circus
2013 Meetings > The Night Circus

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Gideon | 259 comments Mod
For those of you who have already started reading The Night Circus, what are your thoughts on it so far?

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

For those of you with eReaders Frisco Public Library has four available copies of the eBook in both Kindle and EPUB format and one available copy of the eAudiobook in both MP3 and WMA format.

Visit out digital website to get started: http://digital.friscolibrary.com/.

message 3: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Faris sanders | 11 comments Jim dale is reading the audiobook! I am so excited. Still don't know how I feel about the overall summary though

message 4: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (therapon24601) | 183 comments Who's Dale?

message 5: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (therapon24601) | 183 comments I got the book today and will start it tonight.

On a side note: is the story time for 2 & 3 year olds every tuesday or just once a month?

message 6: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (therapon24601) | 183 comments 17 hours later I'm on page 120. This is yet another of those "Amy why are you making me read this" to "Amy this is the best book ever". At least so far...

Anne Denise | 78 comments I'm about halfway through it. It seems very atmospheric. However, I am not getting the sense that anything is happening yet. They keep alluding to these mystical things that are going on behind the scenes, but I am not sure what they are. The magic seems vague. In fact, I would say "vague" is my overall impression at this point.

Plus I'm trying to overlook the fact that it's written in present tense.

message 8: by Anne Denise (last edited Jun 28, 2013 04:03PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anne Denise | 78 comments Now I'm about 2/3 of the way through. Still feeling very vague about the plot, but now the "atmosphere" has begun to feel draining. I just don't know how many more scenes of "amazing mysterious splendor" I can survive. I'm also getting to the point where I can barely tolerate any of the characters. They seem so snobbishly eccentric to me.

I would be interested to hear others' impressions of the chapter titled "Thirteen" (I don't think it's actually the chapter 13, but that is the title). This is where I am right now. I'm calling it "Lifestyles of the Rich and Annoying".

message 9: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (therapon24601) | 183 comments Lot's of intrigue and plots explained in that chapter. We beginning to get a clearer picture of everything that has been going on.

message 10: by Anne Denise (last edited Jul 01, 2013 02:31PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anne Denise | 78 comments I didn't find anything about that chapter intriguing. That was the point at which I finally realized I no longer cared about what color Tante Padva was wearing on that fine evening and the fact that Chandresh, bedecked in a suit of indigo-violet, had decided that the servants should wear green, not black. And that the champagne flutes were, of course, not clear, but cobalt blue. And that the brightly striped tablecloths on each table were adorned with ONLY the freshest of blooms, and...

message 11: by Gabi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabi (thatdamewriter) | 1 comments Jim wrote: "Who's Dale?"

Jim Dale read for all of the Harry Potter audiobooks, as well as for Peter and the Star Catchers, if I remember correctly.

message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim wrote: "I got the book today and will start it tonight.

On a side note: is the story time for 2 & 3 year olds every tuesday or just once a month?"

Hi Jim - Through July the Toddler Story Time is every Tuesday at 10:15 and 11:00 AM. We also have a Family Story Time that meets on Saturdays at 10:30 AM and Bedtime Story Time that meets Wednesday nights at 7:00 PM and are open to all ages. There will be a break during August and then they will start again in September.

message 13: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm still in the first half of the book and I haven't reached chapter 13 yet. My impressions so far: I like the author's writing style and Jim Dale's narration is superb. I do however find myself wondering when things will start to pick up. At this point it's slow building with tons of description and little action.

Anne Denise | 78 comments Oh, I hope I didn't spoil it for anyone. There might be some of you out there who were expecting the servants at the soiree to wear black. Sorry!

message 15: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Denise wrote: "Oh, I hope I didn't spoil it for anyone. There might be some of you out there who were expecting the servants at the soiree to wear black. Sorry!"

And I was hoping for a lovely mauve color. ;D (Your comment had me in stitches.)

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul Prince Art (PaulPrinceArt) I enjoyed reading this descriptive book. There was an overly simplistic plot that was easy enough to follow which was only a slight disadvantage. But it's still better than reading something overly complex. However, the descriptions of magic realism and circus parties made this engaging and unique. I felt like I was pulled right into the night circus itself. The character development was just enough to keep it interesting. At times the plot did suffer from being vague and it did seem redundant. Overall I enjoyed it enough to finish reading it. Good selection this time around.

message 17: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

I think this author excels at description. The language she uses and even the tense used in certain parts of the book pulled me into the circus.

However, while I loved the writing style I found the lack of description with regards to the overall plot and the slow pacing of the story frustrating at times. I think the author was intentionally vague in order to add to the mystique surrounding the setting in the Night Circus, but knowing this didn't curb my frustration at the time.

The latter half of the book was more enjoyable for me to read, particularly Bailey's story arc. It also helped that the pacing picked up and the two story arcs came together.

message 18: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

This is the response Jim got when he emailed bailey@nightcircus.com:

Subject: Re: Next Destination?

Thank you for your interest in Le Cirque des Rêves!

If you are inquiring as to the itinerary of the circus, we apologize,
but it is against our policy to disclose information about current or
upcoming locations.

Other inquiries will be responded to in as timely a manner as possible.

Cheers,
Erin

Erin Morgenstern
assistant to Mr. Clarke
erin@nightcircus.com

Anne Denise | 78 comments Haha! That's cute. I enjoyed our discussion last night. It was fun seeing some new faces and hearing their thoughts.

I was thinking some more about it and thought maybe Erin ought to try to get hooked up with Cirque de Soleil. They could do a tour based on the imagery and "plot" of the book. That is the sort of application that I can see this story working well with. Something very visually interesting that only requires a vague series of related scenes. I think she'd be able to pull that off quite well and I would definitely go see that.

message 20: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (therapon24601) | 183 comments A very good idea Denise.

Undead & UnRead Book Club - Frisco Public Library

unread topics | mark unread