The Filipino Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Buddy Reads > Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn | Start Date: June 10

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciuhhh) | 1752 comments Hello! Let's read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Do we all have copies now?

message 2: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Thank you for putting this thread up, Tricia.
And so, we begin!

message 3: by Iris (new)

Iris (irisbridgerton) | 8 comments How many chapters will we read each day? :)

message 4: by Louize (last edited Jun 10, 2013 10:23PM) (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments The book is approximately 465 pages, divided into 3 parts. If we are to read this in 15 days (or less, this is my suggested Reading Plan:

Part 1- June 10-17 (approx 230 pages)
Part 2- June 18-22 (approx 156 pages)
Part 3- June 23-24 (approx 53 pages)

or we can simply read 155 pages for 5 days.

I suggested this because (I'm sure) we are also reading another book. I'm open to other suggestions, though. Just make sure that any insight we post is enclosed in a spoiler tag with indication which part or chapter we are referring to.

Example: Amy Elliott Dunne: August 23, 2010 [spoiler]

message 5: by Kaeri (new)

Kaeri | 60 comments Just saw this now. The reading schedule works for me! :)

message 6: by Mei (new)

Mei (yeltminky) The reading schedule is fine with me too. :D

message 7: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 1188 comments Yaay! Excited to eavesdrop! :D

message 8: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Hi buddies!
So far, I've read the first 4 chapters (2 from Nick & 2 from Amy).

What are your first impressions on Nick and Amy? (As for me, I'm not liking them just yet.)
Is the alternate narration working for you?

message 9: by Kaeri (last edited Jun 10, 2013 10:25AM) (new)

Kaeri | 60 comments Started reading tonight and stopped at "Nick Dunne, One Day Gone" chapter.

My initial thoughts:

This marriage is really not working. I think both of them are sick of each other and are just bored with their married life. Nick doesn't seem to care much about Amy.

I'm used to this type of writing style since aSoIaF, and several YA novels use the same. What bothers me a bit is how the POVs feel so different. Nick's are more neutral, realistic and mellow while Amy's are just overly jovial and hyper. Amy is 30+ yrs old right? But whenever I read her chapters I feel like I'm reading a teenager's diary. She comes across a bit immature.

On Amy's disappearance... I don't know much yet since I've only started but after I read this, I'm thinking Amy wasn't really abducted:

Amy’s favorite vase was lying on the floor, intact, bumped up against the wall. It was a wedding present, a Japanese masterwork that Amy put away each week when our housecleaner came because she was sure it would get smashed.

Maybe she's just playing, her bad idea of a joke, or maybe it's her 5-year anniversary game (or something like that). It's just strange and so unlikely that Amy's favorite vase just happened to be in a perfectly safe corner during a struggle (if she was really abducted or murdered). I bet she secured the vase herself.

Haha, sorry... Maybe I just watch too much CSI and read way too much into things.

message 10: by Tin (new)

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments Louize wrote: "Hi buddies!
So far, I've read the first 4 chapters (2 from Nick & 2 from Amy).

What are your first impressions on Nick and Amy? (As for me, I'm not liking them just yet.)
Is the alternate narratio..."

I do like Nick and Amy. Well, as characters in this novel at least. I like their observations and introspection about relationships, and couples, and marriage, and of each other, and of all the other things around them. Sometimes,they are quite spot on.

As to the alternate POV, yeah, I like it. For one, it serves the purpose of keeping me at the edge of my seat. You'll find that sometimes the Nick chapters ends in a sort of cliffhanger and one would have to wait to get over the Amy chapter before one will get to the continuation of Nick's POV. And the thing with alternate POV is that I once had the problem of not knowing which character's narration I'm reading because the voices seemed the same and I had to go back to the to the chapter heading to check whose POV it is. But I did not have that problem this time. Amy and Nick are distinct enough and fleshed out enough as characters.

message 11: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Part One: Boy Loses Girl
Nick Dunne: The Day of - Amy Elliott Dunne: July 5, 2010
(view spoiler)

message 12: by Iris (new)

Iris (irisbridgerton) | 8 comments Hey guys! I just started reading this day. Currently, I'm still in chapter 2. Haha. I just decided to visit here while reading to check on you, guys!

I'm not really liking Nick though, at least for first impression. For Amy, I still don't know... I'll just keep on reading.

And for the narration. It's only my second time to read a narration like that! It still feels new to me :)

message 13: by Mei (new)

Mei (yeltminky) I am 14% right now according to my reader, Chapter 6.

The two POVs have a big distinction. One can tell if it's really Amy's or if it's Nick's. Amy's POV comes out very energetic, full of happiness and the tone is just so bubbly and active. Her stories come out leaving a smile on her face despite issues she may encounter. Nick's is kinda boring. It's so monotone, and lacks of emotions. It's like every thing happening in his life is so sad. What keeps Nick's POV is riveting is that there's a touch of a cliffhanger.

It's effective though. I know that two POVs's goal is to bring to the readers the other main characters' perspective, but I'm taking it literally on this one. Since she's the one causing the problem here in the story, we need to see a side of Amy, even though the entries are from the past, at least we get to know what she's like then. I've read that Nick mentioned that Amy changed, and she was not the Amy he fell in love with. I don't know if I should agree with that, yet, since I haven't read more from Amy, but we'll see. Their marriage is obviously not working, and something tells me both have faults in this. I don't know, just an instinct.

I also have to agree with Erika there. When I've read that, I just creased my eyebrows because I can't believe the vase was perfectly placed just as it was. Very mysterious.

message 14: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 1188 comments Hi guys!

I love reading about your initial reactions. I won't be commenting more because I don't want to spoil things for you but all I can say is just keep on reading.

What do you think of the pace, so far? Do you find it dragging or is the book a page-turner?

message 15: by Mei (new)

Mei (yeltminky) It's still a page turner. But for me it's a slow pace. Some things are strange but not strange enough to make a good enough guess.

—————————

Right now I'm reading Amy's entry from August 23, 2010
(view spoiler)

message 16: by Mae (last edited Jun 11, 2013 10:29PM) (new)

Mae (jamaeca) | 330 comments Hello! Like Lynai, I enjoy reading your reactions. I remember when I first started this book, I found both Nick and Amy terribly unlikable, but I couldn't stop reading. :)

message 17: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments What do you think of the pace, so far? Do you find it dragging or is the book a page-turner?

I am still at the 12th Chapter.
Maybe because I am still reading another book, and very interesting at that -the Gone Girl pace is not dragging, but it's not exactly a page turner for me either. As I understand it, the 1st part is simply that way, then the twists and turns will start on the 2nd part. I am looking forward to that.

message 18: by Mei (new)

Mei (yeltminky) For me it's slow pace and really long. It's not a page turner, either. I thinkbthe author wants us to imagine this picture of the situation perfectly to craft the story, but it's not effective to me.

The ugly part of this is I anticipate more from Nick's POV, then when I grt to Amy I just feel bored. The diary is still a nice addition, makes me think of how Nick was in the early years of their marriage & how he reacts when in certain moods.

I still don't have any clear formulations about Amy's whereabouts or what happened to her.

message 19: by Louize (last edited Jun 17, 2013 05:59PM) (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Hello Buddies!
It's been a while, but I'm done with Part I.
Amy's disappearance was quite a circus, but we got to see detailed events in their marriage.

Was your 1st impressions of Nick and Amy changed after finishing the 1st Part? Why?

If you are Amy, how would you handle your marital situation with Nick?

If you are Nick, how would you convince everyone of your innocence?

Are you ready for Part 2? :)

*My initial reflection for Part I: In any relationship, when you start lying, you'll end covering it up with more lies. :(

message 20: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciuhhh) | 1752 comments Oh no, I am such a slow reader. Still in Chapter 3. Anyway, I love Amy's voice and her personality (in her POV) differs from what Nick is telling about her. This is kind of underhand attack to his wife, imo. But let's see!

I am trying to slow down too ( in addition to bein a slow reader) because I've been warned tht this book is wicked. Haha

message 21: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 1188 comments Was your 1st impressions of Nick and Amy changed after finishing the 1st Part? Why?

Reading the shifting POVs of Amy and Nick are actually confusing me because I cannot make up my mind who to believe in. One day, I'm rooting for Nick, the next day, I want to strangle him. Haha! This is what makes the book intriguing, in my opinion. :)

Will withhold answers to the other questions because I might spoil the story for you.

And yes, do read on to Part 2! :D

P.S. I agree with Louize as to the lying. You poor Nick. He should've laid down everything that went right (and wrong) from the beginning. But then again, there won't be a story anymore if he did, right? :D

message 22: by Kaeri (new)

Kaeri | 60 comments Hi! So sorry, I'm using an ebook so the pages might be a little different for me. At what chapter does each part end? :(

message 23: by Cams (new)

Cams (thedaydreamreader) | 10 comments please do read on. It's really mind-twisting as it goes.

message 24: by Mei (new)

Mei (yeltminky) I just finished this last night. And it really is wicked. Sick, insane, and crazy, even. Low rating from me :(

message 25: by Cams (new)

Cams (thedaydreamreader) | 10 comments Mai:

yeah, it was really twisted. Why didn't you like it?

message 26: by Louize (last edited Jun 18, 2013 06:38PM) (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Erika Etherviere wrote: "Hi! So sorry, I'm using an ebook so the pages might be a little different for me. At what chapter does each part end? :("

Part 1 ends with chapter Nick Dune: Seven Days Gone. Then, Part 2: Boy Meets Girl starts with chapter Amy Elliot Dunne: The Day of...

message 27: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 1188 comments Mei wrote: "I just finished this last night. And it really is wicked. Sick, insane, and crazy, even. Low rating from me :("

MEI: The story is really supposed to be "sick, insane, and crazy." :D You don't like sick, insane, and crazy? :)

message 28: by Mei (new)

Mei (yeltminky) No, it's just that I wasn't impressed enough w/ the story. But it wasn't really bad. 3 stars is not a negative rating, I think.

message 29: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Part 2, Nick Dunne: Eight Days Gone (2)
(view spoiler)

Hi Buddies. I know you too find the premise "sick and insane", but that's the possibilities of fiction and the circumstances of reality. Soooo, (view spoiler) There's no such thing as a wrong answer here. :)

message 30: by Kaeri (new)

Kaeri | 60 comments Mei wrote: "I just finished this last night. And it really is wicked. Sick, insane, and crazy, even. Low rating from me :("

Ohh, I thought we were supposed to follow a reading schedule for Reading Buddies? :/

message 31: by Kaeri (last edited Jun 19, 2013 09:58AM) (new)

Kaeri | 60 comments Stopped reading tonight at Nick Dunne, Ten Days Gone.

Here are my thoughts:

(view spoiler)

I admit, Part 1 was a bit dragging and a little boring, but from Part 2 onwards things started to get more interesting.

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Erika Etherviere wrote: "Stopped reading tonight at Nick Dunne, Ten Days Gone.

Here are my thoughts:"

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Kaeri (new)

Kaeri | 60 comments ^ I agree. Absolutely mental!

message 34: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciuhhh) | 1752 comments So I am kind of suspicious of Nick. I also found myself murmuring "What the fudge are you doing, Nick?!"

First parts are kind of slow and haven't shed a light about anything. There are some parts I find gimmicky of Flynn like she's tryig to confuse the reader that Nick is the suspect. I dunno, I am kind of bias here because I like Amy and Nick is such a jack-ass.

message 35: by Kaeri (new)

Kaeri | 60 comments Just finished reading Part 2.

And all I can say is...

(view spoiler)

message 36: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciuhhh) | 1752 comments I'm almost near the end of Part I.

Was your 1st impressions of Nick and Amy changed after finishing the 1st Part? Why?

I am not finished yet with Part I but almost there. I find Nick a really cunning person. He's so goody-goody at first, with flaws that are so acceptable in a person but as I read, he seems to be aware of the fault and shortcomings he has BUT he's not doing anything about it. I don't understand why, Amy is such a sweet person.

Amy, I find her a little bit childish but I like the commitment she has to Nick and their marriage. I find her indulging too much about Nick reading her mind. I mean, women are like that, right? She changed because she is sick of it. If I am her, I'll leave Nick as soon as possible.

If you are Amy, how would you handle your marital situation with Nick?

I'll be straight to the point with him. I don't think not telling Nick what is wrong and right and just let him do whatever he wants to do is okay. Communication is the key.

If you are Nick, how would you convince everyone of your innocence?

I'm not good with this. I cannot hold up the truth that long (if I am guilty). If I'm not, I'll just be chill and help whatever I can.

message 37: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Hi guys! Finally done with Part 2.

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Louize (last edited Jun 23, 2013 11:26PM) (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments I'm done!
(view spoiler)

message 39: by Kaeri (last edited Jun 23, 2013 06:17AM) (new)

Kaeri | 60 comments I'm done as well!

(view spoiler)

message 40: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Erika Etherviere wrote: "I'm done as well!"

(view spoiler)

message 41: by Kaeri (last edited Jun 23, 2013 06:48AM) (new)

Kaeri | 60 comments ^

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciuhhh) | 1752 comments I just finished it and... Good God. What the hell did I just read?

message 43: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 1188 comments Hurray to those who are done! :)

(view spoiler)

I wish there's a sequel to this. :D

message 44: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciuhhh) | 1752 comments I wish I bought her other books that I saw at Booksale!

I read some that it will be a movie and Reese Witherspoon will be Amy. While reading the book, I imagined Amy Adams playing the part (aside fo the lack of celebs that I know). I find her perfect with her mala-Enchanted acting if she'll play sweet and lovely.

Also, I can't still wrap my head how Amy did all of these. What a wicked mind she has. Kakaloka.

message 45: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Tricia wrote: "I wish I bought her other books that I saw at Booksale!

I read some that it will be a movie and Reese Witherspoon will be Amy. While reading the book, I imagined Amy Adams playing the part (aside..."

I think Reese will make a great Amy.

message 46: by Kaeri (last edited Jun 24, 2013 10:43PM) (new)

Kaeri | 60 comments Though I loved this book, I hope there won't be a sequel. I think the ending was fine as it was.

@Tricia - I love Amy Adams!! She's so sweet!!! Bagay nga sa kanya haha, kasi sobrang deceiving. Psychotic pala :)) PLUS her name is actually AMY!

I've also read about the movie thing. I think this would make a good film. Nakakaaliw pag may mga flashback scenarios :)) Lalong madedeceive ang viewers kapag visual, kaysa sa via diary.

P.S. I've read that Reese is out of the picture as Amy... And Gillian Flynn herself is writing the screenplay so things are looking promising.

message 47: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Erika Etherviere wrote: "P.S. I've read that Reese is out of the picture as Amy... And Gillian Flynn herself is writing the screenplay so things are looking promising. "

Wow, talaga? That rarely happens to books turned into movies. I'm happy for Gillian Flynn, she'll be able to keep her story-line intact as much as possible.

message 48: by Tin (new)

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments (view spoiler)

So, is everybody happy with the book? And wasn't this a fun buddy read? Hee. :D

message 49: by Kaeri (last edited Jun 26, 2013 02:25AM) (new)

Kaeri | 60 comments Tin wrote: "At first, I was iffy about the hanging ending. I wanted closure. I did not want Amy to get away scot-free. I mean she did some horrible horrible things! But the more I thought about it, I think the..."
(view spoiler)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.