Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Daughter of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Daughter of the Empire
Achive > July 2013-Daughter of the Empire roll call

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by carol. , Senor Crabbypants (new) - rated it 3 stars

carol.  | 2616 comments Roll call and initial thoughts for Daughter of the Empire. L.Y. is excited to lead the discussion :)

L.Y. Levand (lylevand) | 131 comments Ah ha ha ha. Did you read my comment on the poll? xD Excited means 'I have no idea what I'm doing! Everyone is free to laugh now!' Lol. I'm here though.

This book (I've read it before, but I'm looking forward to reading it again) is based on the opposite side of the Riftwar as Midkemia in the Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist. I found this one more interesting than the Riftwar Saga, though.

Has anyone gotten started?

Mawgojzeta | 65 comments I had read this book previously, as well. I am not sure if I will re-read at this time, but look forward to the discussion.

message 4: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Should this be read before or after The Riftwar Saga?

Evgeny MrsJoseph wrote: "Should this be read before or after The Riftwar Saga?"

It does not really matter; all you need to know is that the war is going on in the background. There are almost no connections to the events on the other side of the rift.

Mikael Lindberg | 2 comments Read it many years ago, will not read it again right now but might pop by for the discussion. Having read at least Magician before will help put the plot in context, but I guess it's not mandatory.

L.Y. Levand (lylevand) | 131 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Should this be read before or after The Riftwar Saga?"

It shouldn't matter. I only read the Riftwar Saga once, a long time ago, and it's not really connected in that you have to read one to understand the other. It does give more background if you read it, but I really don't think it's necessary.

Kimberly Read | 156 comments I read this series a few years ago. Loved it! I read almost non-stop until I finished them and then pouted for a few days because I wanted to still read more. I still have the books so I'm looking forward to the discussion.

Kevin | 284 comments This was one of the first fantasy books I've read, when I started to read in earnest in my teens. After all of Tolkien's stuff and Feist's Magician and the rest of the original Rift War Saga.

Kevin | 284 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Should this be read before or after The Riftwar Saga?"

I'd recommend reading Magician first, just to get a bit more insight, but you can read it perfectly fine as a standalone too. The rest of the Riftwar Saga isn't needed at all IMO.

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments I read Riftwar Saga, don't really remember it but I am looking forward to reading Daughter.

message 12: by Heidi (last edited Jun 20, 2013 11:52AM) (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) If I can really read this without reading the Riftwar Saga, I might join in. I'm so far behind on my BOTMS for June, going to try to catch up. But one of the reasons I'm behind is I'm reading Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist also by Raymond Feist. But is it long or what? It's taking me forever to get through it. Not because I'm not enjoying it, it's just my reading time has been so CRUNCHED this month. Going to try to wrap it up this weekend and get some of my other June books read. GOSH THIS IS GETTING LONG:) but if I can get caught up, now, that I've enjoyed another of Feist's books and enjoyed it, I'm a definite maybe on this one… yep, definite maybe…heehee

Helen I enjoyed this trilogy, might be able to read it later in July. Trying to finish the WOT.

message 14: by Mina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mina Khan (spicebites) | 141 comments I recently read this, so looking forward to the discussion :)

message 15: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 181 comments Just to clear up any confusion: Daughter of the Empire stands by itself.

The events in the story take place concurrently with Magician - however - the story is complete, whichever way you start. If you happened to read Magician, first, you'd see another angle into Daughter/the Empire trilogy, but the flip side is equally true: if you read Empire first, you'd see another angle and have a fuller understanding of the events in Magician.

Snarktastic Sonja (snownsew) | 258 comments I read these many moons ago - I started with Magician and went on a real Feist rampage. Read through many of his series ATWP (as they were published) I quit when A) the just kept coming and his writing didn't keep up with my reading or B) they began to get a bit repetitive or C) too many beloved characters ended up on the chopping block.

Tried to pick up The Cycle of Fire, but for some reason could not get into it. I think it might be that Janny's works are more elegant. I tend to like the more down and dirty style. :D

I dunno if I will re-read this. Re-reads from this era don't go well for me. I will see how the rest of you discuss . . . :D

message 17: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) Janny wrote: "Just to clear up any confusion: Daughter of the Empire stands by itself.

The events in the story take place concurrently with Magician - however - the story is complete, whichever way you start. I..."

Thanks for clarifying that:) it will definitely push me more towards reading it!

message 18: by Will (new) - rated it 5 stars

Will Davidson | 1 comments I really enjoy this book (and its two sequels) - first read as a teenager and re-read several times since. I hadn't read any Raymond E Feist books when I first read it and while Magician adds context (and is a great read in its own right) I totally agree that this trilogy stands alone without any other knowledge of the Riftwar Saga etc. Looking forward to the discussion.

message 19: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) I am going to try and join for this read.

message 20: by Cori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cori Foxworthy (foxdenvixen) I read Magician Apprentice and Magician Master many years ago and have the paperbacks of these books. I never read Silverthorn or A Darkness at Sethanon. Even though I have not read those I will start reading our monthly book as I have read previous posts and everyone agrees that I will not be too lost. Wish it was available in audio version as well so I can listen to it during the day and read it from my Kindle Fire at night.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Faerie Tale (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Raymond E. Feist (other topics)