Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Any good "book clubs" on Goodreads?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Hi all,

I'm wondering if any of my fellow audiobook listeners participate in any groups on Goodreads that operate like book clubs, where everyone reads a book and discusses online. I miss being in a book club, but it's been difficult to make it to real live book clubs due to my family's schedule.

Any leads or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Kristie

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1480 comments depends what kind of books you are looking to read...

TNBBC - is always looking for the next great book - they typically do 2 group reads a month, plus a featured author

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Our Novel Escape. It's a very welcoming environment, with lots of fun challenges and kind, generous people.

message 4: by Kristie (last edited Jun 08, 2013 06:56PM) (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Thanks Dee and Jennifer, I'll check into these.

For what it's worth, I mostly read fiction, but I mix in a lot of other stuff...a little YA, a little nonfiction, a little fantasy... but the vast majority is fiction. I'm not really big on classics; I prefer 20th century and contemporary fiction. Hope that helps.

message 5: by Tomerobber (new)

Tomerobber | 193 comments Hi Kristie,
You can come on over to the History Book Club or Audiophilies . . . I'm involved with both of these and and for the past year I've been in at least one or more discussions ever since . . . I've had to limit myself because they all sound so good, I can't resist . . . :-)

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 575 comments Click on 'Groups' at the top of the page. There are thousands of book clubs on Goodreads. Type what you want in the search box.

message 7: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Click on 'Groups' at the top of the page. There are thousands of book clubs on Goodreads. Type what you want in the search box."

So I noticed, so I decided to get some advice from all of you in order to narrow my choices. :)

message 8: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Tomerobber wrote: "Hi Kristie,
You can come on over to the History Book Club or Audiophilies . . . I'm involved with both of these and and for the past year I've been in at least one or more discussions ever since . ..."

Wow...sure looks like an active group! Not sure I read enough history or historical fiction, though.

Out of curiosity, is this the group that there was a big conversation about a month or so ago...the one with all the rules?

message 9: by Tomerobber (new)

Tomerobber | 193 comments Kristie wrote: "Tomerobber wrote: "Hi Kristie,
You can come on over to the History Book Club or Audiophilies . . . I'm involved with both of these and and for the past year I've been in at least one or more discus..."

It's not so much about rules . . . each group has rules for posting . . . they just have a certain way of posting . . . and provide you with guidelines for posting quotes, etc. We also discuss fiction and non-fiction, there are reading challenges and sometimes publishers offer advanced reader copies of new books that you can get for free depending on how many books are available.

I've probably doubled my TBR stack since I joined . . . sometimes audiobooks, sometimes eBooks or print books . . . since I retired now I can indulge myself reading all the books I've collected . . . ;-)

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 592 comments I really like "The Perks of Being a Bookworm" - great mix of books but leans towards contemporary and 19 & 20th century in group reads.

message 11: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) | 493 comments You might look at some of the discussions for books they have read.

message 12: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Yeah, that's my plan Shirley. My comment I wrote saying that never showed up. :-( I'll probably keep an eye on a few of these and see which seem like the best fit. I'm also still interested in other ideas.

message 13: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) | 493 comments The Book Addicts
they read 1 hard cover and 1 paperback each month and have good participation.
June books
Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments Kristie what I did when I first joined Goodreads was looked at all the groups that I had an interest in - a lot of them have a book of the month or a discussion book. I then checked to see the number of members and how active the groups were. Have you tried that??

message 15: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3140 comments Heidi (Seriously. Trust me.) wrote: "Kristie what I did when I first joined Goodreads was looked at all the groups that I had an interest in - a lot of them have a book of the month or a discussion book. I then checked to see the num..."

What did you end up choosing?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm a bit unusual. I joined a year and a half ago, but didn't check out the groups until this past January. But I'm not active in all my groups.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments Jeanie wrote: "Heidi (Seriously. Trust me.) wrote: "Kristie what I did when I first joined Goodreads was looked at all the groups that I had an interest in - a lot of them have a book of the month or a discussion..."

I have narrowed my groups down to 2 YA groups, one cozy mystery group, and of course this one :)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments Jennifer wrote: "I'm a bit unusual. I joined a year and a half ago, but didn't check out the groups until this past January. But I'm not active in all my groups."

I am a chatterbox so probably comment more than necessary! I narrowed my groups down to only ones I participate in.

message 19: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Heidi, that is definitely part of my criteria. There are just so many groups to choose from, so hearing from trusted leads is super helpful. Thanks everyone!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Happy to help! :-)

message 21: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 592 comments Heidi (Seriously. Trust me.) wrote: "I am a chatterbox so probably probably comment more than necessary! I narrowed my groups down to only ones I participate in..."

You and me both! I wonder sometimes a) how people keep up with their groups and b) why people join groups and then don't say anything!

message 22: by Tomerobber (new)

Tomerobber | 193 comments You also have the option of leaving a group if you find out it's not for you . . . there are more then enough to choose from.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments Leslie wrote: "Heidi (Seriously. Trust me.) wrote: "I am a chatterbox so probably probably comment more than necessary! I narrowed my groups down to only ones I participate in..."

You and me both! I wonder some..."

I will never understand the whole "lurking" thing. Why join a group if you don't want to participate. I am a talker though so maybe it is just me!

message 24: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1480 comments several of my groups battle the lurker thing all the time - we have members who have been in groups since its inception and never made comments (some of them for upwards of 3 years) - but when we cull members, they complain

message 25: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Interesting that people would be long-term lurkers in groups and never feel compelled to participate. I likely won't have that problem. I'm sure my husband would tell you that I always have something to say. :)

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1480 comments seriously...yeah, I can't stay quiet...lol! but we did...

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I've become...shall we say...more active than is necessary on the Feedback group...but I do try to help.

message 28: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3140 comments While my active participation in this group may make this seem unlikely, I tend to lurk in the other sites I go to. I read one of the Harry Potter fan sites for years and never made a single comment. On this site I may make random comments for certain books I've read, but I'm not as compelled to comment in other forums. I think its partly that same phenomenon we used to experience on playgrounds when we hesitated to ask to join another group of kids to play. There's a certain fear of rejection that may not be based on anything in reality, but it can be enough to make one pause. And it only takes one harsh reaction from another commentor to send some running from the thread. I once made a comment that quoted another author than the thread dealt with to make a point--in another group--and the harsh criticism I got for daring to read that author sent me away never to come back. This group has been exceptionally good about accepting all opinions and respecting every member, so it's never been a problem here. But I'm sure others fear similar treatment or even a general "you don't belong here" and so never test the waters.

message 29: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 927 comments I've been away for the last week and just got home tonight, otherwise I would have replied to this thread sooner.

If you're still looking for a book club, check out our group, You'll Love This One... We have monthly group reads where we read and discuss two books that are selected by the group. We have monthly and year long challenges and read-a-thons that we call "TBR Topplers". We are currently in the middle of a week long toppler themed on summer camp. It's not too late to join in.

message 30: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Thanks Janice. I am still scoping out groups, so I will definitely check this one out.

message 31: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1918 comments If you like Southern fiction the group Southern Lit Lovers do a group read every month and are a great bunch!

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3305