Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > June 2013: Beautiful Disaster

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 3004 comments Mod
Discussion for Beautiful Disaster

message 2: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie (frqs37) | 85 comments I'm almost ashamed of saying I have read this book. Not that it was the worst but simply that it was similar to an extended bad Harlequin type of novel where the lovers keep breaking up and getting back together based on a series of quiproquos recalling teenagers immaturity. Actually the book closes on the 19-year old heroine getting a tattoo of her new husband identity on her hip in reciprocity of his tattoo of her surname on his wrist. Aaaaah young luuuve.

A simplistic vision of personal relationships is offered such as the dichotomy between good women saintly VIRGINS of course versus as the author describes the others, the "sluts". The hero states this well when he said with scorn: "Like I would buy a beer for some chick at the bar" casting single women in a bar as dirt compared to the "chosen" woman accompanying him, the superior being. The men are also summarized as pigs, jackass, little shit, asshole, etc demonstrating the variety of vocabulary of the author and the level of intellect of this novel. There is never any expression of remorse from the hero towards these "bagged" one-nighter as the hero explains "She didn't stipulate a relationship before she spread-eagled on my couch (ugh!)...Women usually justify their actions with whatever they make up in their heads. She didn't tell me up front that she expected a relationship any more than I told her I expected sex with no strings."
Now I can understand this statement early in the book to develop the situation and make us understand the character personality; however later, when the hero explains he has changed for the better, it is always expressed as "I would not do that to you because you are special" but never as an expression of contrition for the pain he might have inflicted to other women. Has he really changed??!

The feelings are single dimensional. The hero justifies his rude, arrogant and cavalier treatment of all these "bitches" that circle around him. Witness this sentence which shows such a level of maturity when the hero explains how he fell in love with this particular heroine and how he selects his women: "First of all... I have standards. I've never been with an ugly women. Ever..." I am not sure i would have considered this statement as a compliment. Of all the standards to be with someone that come to mind I would not have thought ugliness should prime over what I would have expected the author to list like... intelligence, compassion, generosity, caring - but I guess those are too trivial qualities. It is so much more important that the heroine is "fucking" beautiful - author's words.

True enough the characters don't have big aspirations. Heroine: ..I just don't like being a foregone conclusion for the sole reason of having a vagina.. Hero: oh my god! You're killing me! That's it. We have to be friends.

Yes, the whole book is made of these cliches. The characters have no dimensions other than juvenile reactions of screaming, pouting, shouting, boozing, puking and fighting. Basically a novel for teenagers with a single vision of their primitive egocentric personal universe. This is not a novel which will make us evolve as a human beings.

Ah please give me a book such as "Pride and prejudice" with its witty dialogues, or "Little women" with their concerns for society around them and their pride in a sense of duty; or maybe even a book such as "Everglades: River of grass" who demonstrate how a book all done in poetic descriptions and so few action can still fascinate and awake our curiosity; or a book like The Foreign Lands by Julian Greene with its historic component; instead of this saddening pensum.

To summarize, yes, this novel wears proudly its title "Beautiful Disaster" as in "Grandiose Disaster". It's only advantage? The novel name starts with a B for my 2013 alphabetic book reading challenge. As for stars, it gets none

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan (meganmreads) | 45 comments I was so torn with this book because I hated it and I also loved it. The book lacked in world building by a long shot, but the author captured an unhealthy and abuse relationship pretty well. It was a trainwreck and I don't often see those kinds of relationships. I'll never believe that Beautiful Disaster is a romance in the sense of anything someone should strive to achieve, but it was shocking to me.
I ended up giving it 3 stars when I read it because I couldn't tell if it deserved 1 for being so unhealthy and horrifying or 5 for portraying it so well.
I have a love/hate relationship with Beautiful Disaster, but I'm only more sympathetic now after reading Walking Disaster and getting something more from Travis.

message 4: by Tyler (new)

Tyler (tyleralysea) | 25 comments This book was both terrible and great. I too hate to admit how much I enjoyed it when I first read it, but I honestly preferred Walking Disaster more. I don't know maybe it was just because I find Abby so frustrating, but Travis on the other hand while frustrating just seemed to be way more honest. I don't know I really like both books and while somewhat ashamed to admit it every once in a while you just need a good bubble gum book.

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky This book's been making the rounds on many lists, but Sylvie, thanks for your comments...doesn't sound like my cup of tea. Going to take a pass.

message 6: by Sonja (new)

Sonja | 18 comments I finished this book last night and I have to say, I more or less agree with all the comments above. What I found frustrating was the needless drama created by the overreactions of the main characters. Without those, the book would not have had much of a plot. Particularly the first half of the book was plagued by this problem. (view spoiler)

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon I wish I hadn't read this book; think of the hours I could have spent reading *real* writing. But, once I started I had to finish so I could write a scathing review. I toned it down a bit...