Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Gods of Gotham (Timothy Wilde, #1)
This topic is about The Gods of Gotham
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Faye, Lyndsay; The Gods of Gotham "Relaxed Buddy Read" (Start Date: July 26, 2013)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 24, 2013 09:30PM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30650 comments Mod
The Gods of Gotham, by Lyndsay Faye

1845. New York City forms its first police force. The great potato famine hits Ireland. These two seemingly disparate events will change New York City. Forever.

Timothy Wilde tends bar near the Exchange, saving every dollar and shilling in hopes of winning the girl of his dreams. But when his dreams literally incinerate in a fire devastating downtown Manhattan, he finds himself disfigured, unemployed, and homeless. His older brother obtains Timothy a job in the newly minted NYPD, but he is highly skeptical of this untested "police force." And he is less than thrilled that his new beat is the notoriously down-and-out Sixth Ward-at the border of Five Points, the world's most notorious slum.

One night while returning from his rounds, heartsick and defeated, Timothy runs into a little slip of a girl—a girl not more than ten years old—dashing through the dark in her nightshift . . . covered head to toe in blood.

Timothy knows he should take the girl to the House of Refuge, yet he can't bring himself to abandon her. Instead, he takes her home, where she spins wild stories, claiming that dozens of bodies are buried in the forest north of 23rd Street. Timothy isn't sure whether to believe her or not, but, as the truth unfolds, the reluctant copper star finds himself engaged in a battle for justice that nearly costs him his brother, his romantic obsession, and his own life.

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

What is a buddy read?

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers

EXPECT SPOILERS!

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 26, 2013 01:21AM) (new) - added it

This is a relaxed buddy read, so just read at your own pace. Just pause at the stopping points below to give thoughts/questions/comments. Also feel free to comment at any point by clearly referring to the section you are discussing.

Note: the page numbers are based on the paperback version of the book. If you have a different version, check the chapter numbers

Discussion points

Chapters 1-4
(up to page 64) to give initial thoughts
Chapters 5-10 (up to page 144)
Chapters 11-19 (up to page 278)
Chapters 20-27 (to end)

Questions to consider as you read the book. You can use these as a basis for your discussion

1) How do you like the author's writing style?

2) Who was your favorite character and why?

3) Did you have any favorite quotes?

4) What struck you the most about the book?

5) Was there anything that surprised you, that you hadn't expected?

6) What did you think of the ending? Was there anything that you wish had been wrapped up better?

7) What will you rate the book?

8) Have you read anything else by the author? If not will you do so in the future? In you have, which books and would you recommend them?

Discussion questions provided by Publisher
*Be prepared for spoilers*

message 3: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments Thanks for setting up, LK!

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

message 5: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14152 comments Mod
Thanks! :D

message 6: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Sure, Karen. Looks interesting.

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I read this book earlier this year, and I will gladly join the discussion :)

message 8: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Great :)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) This sounds good! My library has it, too. Score.

message 10: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

woohoo!

message 11: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ladies - how should we run this one? Are you happy to do it as a "relaxed buddy read"?

message 12: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments Karen, we'll have it relaxed - just have break points where we post our thoughts and the random ones as we usually do.

message 13: by Kaora (last edited Jul 18, 2013 08:01AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kaora (ophelja) This is on my To-Read list! I'd love to join the read!

message 14: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Great Allison :)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Okay, this sounds too good to pass up! Count me in.

message 16: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments Are we all ready to start today? (Or tomorrow for those in US)

message 17: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Picking up the book from the library in about an hour :)

message 18: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments I just downloaded it. There are 27 chapters excluding Prologue. How do you want to breakdown? (I'm doing e so I can't tell page numbers)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I grabbed mine from the library tonight.

message 20: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

How about we break it by:
Chapters 1-4 (up to page 64) to give initial thoughts
Chapters 5-10 (up to page 144)
Chapters 10-19 (up to page 278)
Chapters 20-27 (to end)
Everyone can read at their own pace, but If we break at these points to give thoughts/questions/comments etc.
What do you think?

message 21: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments Works for me, Karen.

message 22: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

I have updated message 2 :)

message 23: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapters 1-4

- I was a bit scared of the dictionary given at the start! I'm not a huge fan of a lot of slang in books, but I guess it adds to the "realism". Perhaps it would be easier if I was reading this on my kindle so I could just press the word for the meaning! :)

- Slow start, but I was getting into the book by the fourth chapter. Interesting how he feels about his brother despite him being his only family. I wonder if we will learn a bit more about where the animosity has come from

- I like his 'shortcuts'. I'd love to live above a baker shop - imagine the smells!!

-So awful about the woman and her baby. There was no help for mental illness in the time and if she does come to understand what she did she would probably want to die anyway. So sad

- Not sure where we are going with the 10 year old girl. I wonder if this is a story about how a young girl makes a hardenned police man understand the joys of life? Or is that a bit 1990s B-grade movie? lol

message 24: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

I do the least amount of reading on the weekends, and I have a very busy one coming up, but I just wanted to say I am *really* liking this book! Just starting chapter 10 and I just wish I had more time to keep reading. I will come back at the end of this chapter to put some more thoughts down :)

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I read this book on my Kindle, and not all the words from "the slang" were in the dictionary that was combined with my copy, so I had "flip" back to the first pages to check the meanings from time to time. Fortunately, most of the words is repeated so it is easy to "learn" their meanings after few chapters.

Eventhough some difficulties with the language (I'm not a native speaker of English), I really liked this book.

I was under huge impression of the initial descpritions of some neighbourhoods and the way of division among the inhabitants. I also like the main character, he seems to be "real" with various dilemmas and weaknesses. I also think that he evolves in an interesting way.

So, these are my thoughts for the beginning. I will post some more at the end of the weekend, as I leave the town, and won't have access to the internet.

message 26: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Good to know Anima - I won't feel like I should have this on my kindle then! You're right, some words become easy to remember after a while.
I also think the characters are very real. Sometimes female authors struggle to accurately depict male voices, but I think she has done a good job ( so far!)

message 27: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments I'm sorry but I'm really behind. I had another BR on the same date and I couldn't put that book down. I'm starting this one tomorrow. I'll catch up fast.

message 28: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

No worries Vi :)

message 29: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapters 5-10

- So Valentine is a piece of work! No wonder he doesn't like him much. He reminds me of Nucky (Steve Buschemi) in Boardwalk Empire

- I like the relationship developing with Birdy and how he is able to see through her lies (mostly!)

- All those kids in the field ; unbelievable. I like the realisation that without the police force this would have gone on un-noticed

- He got those two kids out of the brothel, and it was nice that Val helped him, but I'm not sure if their alternative is great either

- Letter from "The Hand of the God of Gotham". Interesting. I wonder if it is actually from the brothel owner - she would be pretty annoyed with him right now

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Hi guys! I got a late start on this one since I was out celebrating my birthday yesterday, but I'll chime in later today.

message 31: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh - Happy Birthday! Have a glass of champagne for me :)

message 32: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapters 11-19

Ok. So I'm trying to work out who the killer could be. Thoughts:
- 19 buried bodies ; hidden very well. We would never have known about them except for Birdy (so we think by chance)
- The body that started the investigation was not buried. Why? Did the killer change his/her M.O or did they want to be caught?
- Now there are letters and a very public body. It is like the killer wants to be found.

So, questions:
- are there two killers? The original and a copycat? I don't think so
- Who could the killer be? Val? Madam? Mercy? Mr Underhill? Father Sheehy? The Doctor?

At the moment I am betting on Mr Underhill. He has a problem with helping Catholics and is angry at them for "killing" his wife. The death of the last boy, at least, was "humane" so it doesn't seem to be the act of killing that is driving him on, but a "need" to cleanse
hmmmmm
My second bet is Valentine. But I just don't see why he would do such a public killing - it is bad for the party

Must keep reading...lol

message 33: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapters 20-27 (the end)

I had to keep reading to find out what happened. I'll put some quick thoughts down and then wait for everyone else to finish before discussing properly :)

(view spoiler)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments This may turn into one of those race to finish books for me too, Karen!

Chapters 1-4

So far, so good. I'm curious why we start the book with the little girl, then take a loooong detour back to him working in the pub. I love murder mysteries, though, so maybe it's just that I'm anxious for us to get back to solving the crime.

I like the writing style a lot. It's easy to get through quickly while still giving us enough details for the historical period to resonate.

I admit that I had no idea it took so long for New York to set up a police force. Any time a historical novel can teach me something I didn't know is a good thing. I really appreciate that she has taken a familiar time frame and shown us a new side of it.

message 35: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments I'm just onto Chapter 4 - The weekend was a busy one for me. I'll start posting in a while. And I'm not reading any of yours until I'm done.

message 36: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jul 28, 2013 11:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm also leaving to go overseas on Thursday morning, so I had to get through it so I can return it to the library :o
But I also just was really taken by the who-dunnit and wanted to get through the book :)

I agree Logan - I had no idea that NY didn't have police before this time. Seems pretty crazy doesn't it?!

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Chapters 5-10

My how the plot has thickened! I'm glad we're really moving along now with the mystery. Is there really a hooded man? Is the letter written by the killer or a faker? I have to find out!

Until Bird asked about his mask, I had forgotten Wilde was burned!

The visit to Silkie's really turned my stomach. Those poor children. It'll be interesting to see if a Bird/Silkie showdown or meeting happens over the course of the story. And what will happen to Bird when all is said and done?

I'm still not sure what to think of Valentine. How someone with so many illegal problems and predilections is still captain of a police ward and a large political figure is beyond me. Wouldn't he be the victim of scandal and gossip?

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Chapters 11-19

What a place to end this section! But I have to go to bed, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow. :)

This section dragged for me until Chapter 19. I'm not getting as drawn into the politics as I expected, so the detours aren't as interesting. We aren't really learning much, and though the letters are probably meant to be ominous I find them confusing. I wish we could start turning up clues more quickly, though once Bird's story comes out I suspect we'll have plenty.

I don't know who the killer is. Underhill is a good guess, Karen. I think Val is too big of a character to be the killer. Silkie wouldn't want to kill her own merchandise. Is it a copper? The doctor?

I'll try to finish in the next couple days.

Anima Miejska | 757 comments Logan wrote: "Chapters 5-10

My how the plot has thickened! I'm glad we're really moving along now with the mystery. Is there really a hooded man? Is the letter written by the killer or a faker? I have to find o..."

I'm afraid there were different times than today, in The Alienist this problem of corruption and illegal actions of police forces in NYC is really well-depicted. As far as I remember F. Roosevelt was the first commissioner to put to an end, and not fully successfully.

Anima Miejska | 757 comments Logan wrote: "Chapters 11-19

What a place to end this section! But I have to go to bed, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow. :)

This section dragged for me until Chapter 19. I'm not getting as drawn into the ..."

I had the same feelings about the plot it this part, it was too elaborate in setting political background and missing quick pace in the mystery part, but I believe this was important for historical accuracy...

I also loved manifold traces of potential killers and various hints that turned out to be misleading in the end :)

message 41: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

So have you gotten to the end yet Logan?

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Finished!

Chapters 20-end

Wow! I love when mysteries have multiple angles and components. The ending was really satisfying for me.

I did not guess that Mercy was selling herself and her stories on the side. Part of me wanted her to end up with Timothy, but I think London and a fresh start are just what she needs. Plus, the other part of me wants him to be with Mrs. Boehm!

I'm really glad that it wasn't Val. I like the way their relationship progressed and wasn't magically fixed at the end. Family is complicated, and theirs more than most.

I was also unsettled by the coverup of Underhill's part in it and Silkie's. Was there any justice here? I'm not sure there was. I do wonder if we'll get a sequel, because I'd like to know what Silkie means by her intention to ruin Timothy.

Overall, it was pleasant enough. If there is a sequel I'd probably read it. The book reminded me a lot of The Yard, about the beginnings of murder investigations at Scotland Yard. If you liked this, I'd recommend that one, and I'll be reading that series' sequel later this year.

message 43: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree Logan, I really enjoyed the book and the ending.
Mercy was a total surprise! How did he not know that?! lol. I think it is right that she starts again and I liked that he didn't try to "keep her".
Love the relationship with Val. I did some googl-ing and there is a second book in the mix. I look forward to how their relationship continues. There aren't alot of series books that focus on family relationships like that rather than romantic ones.
I understand the lack of justice because of the time, ther eis no proof. I do think that this is will be another interesting plot line in the next book :)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Hooray for sequels! I always hate when I like books that have so clearly left an opening for a series, but then they don't sell well enough and you never hear from them again. So disappointing!

message 45: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Aug 10, 2013 03:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

My pet peeve is actually books that are written as a series so each book is a "part" and nothing gets resolved. I am slowly accepting it as more and more books do it, but it still annoys the --you know-- out of me!

Book 2 is expected to be out next month. Maybe we can read it at the end of the year if it is released on time
Seven for a Secret by Lyndsay Faye

Funny how with book 1 I had the cover with the star on it, and for book 2 it is a completely different cover
Seven for a Secret by Lyndsay Faye
and the US version cover matches the star cover!

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I like the star cover better than either of the US covers for Gods. My library copy had the fire cover and at the bookstore I saw the cityscape cover. I felt like neither one told much about the content. I like both of those sequel covers, but it's *my* pet peeve when series covers don't match. Like Across the Universe - my paperback has the old design so I didn't even bother buying the other two and opted for ebooks instead. : /

message 47: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

I prefer the star cover too. Which is why it is so weird they didn't continue that here for book 2, but released it like that for the US.
AtU - Yes, that is another one! My covers on that one are weird too:
Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis
then
A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2) by Beth Revis
then
Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3) by Beth Revis

!!

message 48: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm starting book 2 next week if anyone wants to join for an informal BR
Seven for a Secret (Timothy Wilde Mysteries, #2) by Lyndsay Faye

message 49: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I will be listening the book 1 this month (probably starting next week). I'll add my comments as I go along so if anyone missed the first read through, I'd be happy to have a buddy :0)

message 50: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 21, 2014 02:28AM) (new) - added it

Great Lauren! When you're ready for book 2, I've set up a thread for book 2 here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

« previous 1