Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > June 2013: Beautiful Ruins

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 3004 comments Mod
Discussion for Beautiful Ruins!

message 2: by Sheena (new)

Sheena Davis (sheenad) | 121 comments Just finished, anyone else read this?

message 3: by Margot (last edited Jun 24, 2013 10:57PM) (new)

Margot (margotmontreal) | 165 comments I did not read that one, but I am curious to know what you thought about it...

message 4: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 3004 comments Mod
My dad is not a huge reader but he is reading this and is really enjoying it, I may have to snatch it up after he is done!

message 5: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 46 comments This book is simply beautiful. 5 stars. One of my favourite reads this year, and in my top all 5 favourites. The writing is so lyrical and lush, yet with a down to earth quality that makes you feel every character is real.

My review is here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I would, in a heartbeat, recommend this book to everyone.

With all it's Hollywood references, it reminded me of a Ready Player One but for romantics and human purveyors.

message 6: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie (frqs37) | 85 comments What a novel! And what could I say that has not been said already? It's a masterpiece.

Mixing all genres -it's a play, it's a memoire, it's part story and part action, a comedy and a drama, in brief, it's life in general- going back and forth between past and present, it also goes back and forth between characters who each have their own versions of the facts; like a dialogue across time in which all have a line to say. The back and forth does not prevent us to follow the main story ( it makes it all the more interesting) but at the same time it tells it in a new interactive way where the reader is called upon having questions and seeing them answered through the eyes of various parties.

Well, I don't do this often but for the humor and the drama,for the philosophical thoughts intermingled with actions, for the vocabulary, style and rich characterization, this is without a doubt a 5-star book

message 7: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie (frqs37) | 85 comments Rachel Skye wrote: "My dad is not a huge reader but he is reading this and is really enjoying it, I may have to snatch it up after he is done!"

Rachel, don't forget to read this book. Fantastic reading. I was so happy our group made me discover this.