Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > June 2013: The Dinner

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 3008 comments Mod
Discussion for The Dinner !

message 2: by Kelani (new)

Kelani | 57 comments I am still working on this book. So far the author has given me a few pieces of info that have intrigued me about some of the characters! Lets see what happens!

message 3: by Kelani (new)

Kelani | 57 comments Iam not even 100 pages in yet (almost) but I cannot decide if I like the author's rambling or not. Sometimes I welcome it because it is funny but then other times I find it downright annoying. It seems to get in the way of the storyline JUST when it starts to get interesting!

message 4: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 3008 comments Mod
Starting this tonight!

message 5: by Kelani (new)

Kelani | 57 comments Ok! Let me know what you think!! I got to a "good" part last night and couldn't put it down. I am very interested in someone else's opinion on this book. Maybe I am the only one who thinks Koch is rambling. lol

message 6: by Dizzy (new)

Dizzy (dizzy_booknerd) | 30 comments Ok, I just finished this. Definitely liked it a lot, and once I got 1/2 through it I couldn't put it down, always wanting to know what was going to happen. I enjoyed the author's style, the way things were revealed little by little, etc. (view spoiler)

message 7: by Kelani (new)

Kelani | 57 comments Dizzy I think I am at that point now, where I don't want to put it down. Do you think they author rambled at all or am I just impatient!?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished this book. I'll post my review tonight.

message 9: by Dizzy (new)

Dizzy (dizzy_booknerd) | 30 comments Kelani wrote: "Dizzy I think I am at that point now, where I don't want to put it down. Do you think they author rambled at all or am I just impatient!?"

I definitely think he rambled at times. I usually thought it was for a reason though, and didn't mind it much, but I could see how it could get to you at times. Let me know when you're done b/c I wanna know your thoughts on the ending!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Dizzy wrote: "Kelani wrote: "Dizzy I think I am at that point now, where I don't want to put it down. Do you think they author rambled at all or am I just impatient!?"

I definitely think he rambled at times. I ..."

I agree with this as well.

message 11: by Trina (new)

Trina | 42 comments I agree the author did ramble a number of times but I am now at the point where I dont want to put it down. I want to know what is going to happen next

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

This is my review of The Dinner.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 13: by Kelani (new)

Kelani | 57 comments I am still reading this because I can only read it in small dosages. I just had to stop because the rambling got so bad. When I started reading today it started out great....

Koch is so vague. I am not sure I like it. Tell us of a disease but doesn't name it or the symptoms of it. Someone (not naming who just in case someone hasnt read that far) goes into the hospital but wont tell us why.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Kelani wrote: "I am still reading this because I can only read it in small dosages. I just had to stop because the rambling got so bad. When I started reading today it started out great....

Koch is so vague. I ..."

Good points. Kind of what I said in my review.

message 15: by Kelani (new)

Kelani | 57 comments Just read your review, you are right! Everything I feel is in your review!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Kelani wrote: "Just read your review, you are right! Everything I feel is in your review!"

Thanks.

message 17: by Kelani (new)

Kelani | 57 comments Ok. I just finished this book. I do not know how to rate it or even begin to write about it.

I will say the book was very interesting and I loved the fact that the author revealed stuff little by little to keep the suspense up. I liked the ending.... even if that makes me a little twisted.

I understand the rambling a little bit better now. It makes a lot more sense by the end of the book. At the end when they called Micael- Paul's copy, I could definitely see that.

I guess after writing all this and thinking about it, I did enjoy it. There is so much more I want to say but I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't read it yet!

message 18: by Kelani (new)

Kelani | 57 comments And there was a lot of questions left unanswered.

message 19: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Leland (olivia_soule) | 7 comments So there were several things I liked and didn't like: (SPOILERS)

1) I both loved and hated what could be called "ramblings." When I was in the mood to analyze, I noticed that NOTHING he said was irrelevant down to the smallest detail. For example, small comments he'd made about his brother were not just internal dialogue, but supporting details to dress his brother in a womanizing and egotistical garb. However, despite the fact that everything was relevant, I felt irritated the story wouldn't pick up speed until two thirds of the way through the book. Perhaps it was just my mood.

2) His brother drove me ABSOLUTELY MAD with his pretentious assertations—as if he knew what everyone wanted. NOT ONLY THAT. He was in denial about it the whole time. Now this made the novel hard to read because I had to tolerate his—pardon the French—fuckery. But I do give Koch the points for being able to create a character that gives me such a strong emotional reaction.

3) Koch also wonderfully described the father's, what I'd call, manic nature. The only shame was that he didn't list what his exact illness was. If I were to make an estimate based on his symptoms, I would say sociopath. Although, I'm no psychologist. The discription of his rage filled me with awe because it was so...genuine.

4) My absolute favorite part was the way it was written. Very clinical and full in the blank. This was a book that required and demanded full attention so that none of the minute details would slip through your fingers. I hate books that tell you everything and don't allow you to figure it out on your own. He didn't clue you in on much, which, to me, was a blessing.

message 20: by Jami (new)

Jami Ryba | 28 comments I unfortunately have not been able to get a hold of this book- trying to get it from the library. I will look forward to reading it at another time. Hope you all enjoyed it!

message 21: by Teneal (new)

Teneal | 231 comments I am about halfway through this book and I am enjoying it but I don't like the way the author jumps around. One minute the characters are sitting at dinner and the next thing they're a week in the past and then next thing a week in the future. It confuses me sometimes but I am intrigued and am enjoying reading.

message 22: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie (frqs37) | 85 comments An unsettling novel which alternates between moment of rage and fear with the strange apparent normalcy of a family dinner.
Paul the protagonist knows his brother wants to talk to him about their sons, most importantly his own who seems to be the gang leader in unspeakable crimes. He is aware his son might have inherited his own mental disease and rage but tries to lie to himself wanting to believe in a happy family and escape reality. He even describes the whole terrible crime in the 3rd person in a detached manner, but as the book progresses you can feel how he also is full of rage and thinks of agressing people and that his calm is a contrived attitude to appear normal to his peers.

A novel about modern age issues of violence in our society and parenting when a torn decision must be made between admitting your own son has killed someone and deal with the consequences, and the desire to overprotect and hide everything.

And the book brings a comparison made between the vagrant woman useless to society and in the way so that it is justified to kill her senselessly with the justification of WWII pogroms and attack on human life by the Nazis. Terrifying!
Michel the son states in an essay: "These are people everyone would be relieved not to have around anymore." to explain how one can decide to kill unlawfully, because he decides so, another human being and Paul his father protects and justify him.

The book is all about 2 psychopaths father and son and make us live all the perverted in their mind justfied violent thoughts and the manipulation of the system who allows them to survive incognito. We can see as the book goes back and forth in time how the father taught his son to be a killer. Tense from the start the novel uses an active and personal wording language which makes it the more believable. A real page turner and really scary.

message 23: by Kohinoor (last edited Aug 11, 2015 09:03AM) (new)

Kohinoor | 13 comments I'm curious as to what disease the father had. I am with Olivia, I did think it might have been sociopathic like tendencies but can an amniocentesis detect that? I genuinely don't know.