Mortal Instruments & Infernal Devices Lovers! discussion

The Infernal Devices > Ages (clockwork princess)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by priya (new)

priya (gpriyaa) I was just wondering about the ages and who gets married to who I've seen the family tree but I find it kind of strange how Gabriel and Cecily get married when at the time in clockwork princess Cecily was15 and Gabriel was 18-19 were they not aware of the age or something?

message 2: by priya (new)

priya (gpriyaa) That is a pretty big age gap (in my opinion)

message 3: by priya (new)

priya (gpriyaa) Because I would never have a crush on someone that was 3-4 years younger than me if I was 18-19

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) But you have to think in that time they got married very young

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily (tmi_lover26) | 45 comments After reading Romeo and Juliet (Juliet gets married at 13 and Lady Capulet has a child at 13) nothing about age surprises me anymore. It's just the way it was.

message 6: by Britt (new)

Britt (Kalebsmome) The average life expectancy then was 60 and we know shadow hunters have much shorter lives, unfortunately, so I think that has a big part to play in why they were so young.

message 7: by Areti (new)

Areti | 114 comments Because in those times the girls were getting married at an early age. A woman's main role was to have kids and take care of the house,so it doesn't suprise me why Cecily got married so young! Also many times the women got married with much older men(30,35) and they didn't have the choice of their husband so i guess Cecily is a very lucky girl ;)
If Clary marries Jace at this age that will be very strange in nowdays!

message 8: by Bee (new)

Bee | 2 comments Also if they were in love then what is age!! (With in reason)

message 9: by Allison (new)

Allison Janezic (allilj) | 120 comments I don't recall them mentioning Cecily's age at the time she wed. She was 15 in CP2 when they went back home but at that point they were not yet married.

message 10: by Silvia (new)

Silvia | 89 comments At the end of cp2 they Gabriel and Cecy weren't engaged yet. So I'm guessibg they waited a couple of years maybe until Cecy turned 18 to get married.

message 11: by B L Jones (last edited Aug 28, 2013 12:10PM) (new)

B L Jones (bridiejmentalisticdragon) | 12 comments Three years is nothing. On adverage people have at least 3-5 years between them in a relationship, my last boyfriend was five years older than me. As for the age of the characters, they didn't get married straight away, so lets say they waited until Cecily was 18, then Gabriel would be about 20, thats hardly a massive age gap. Plus in that time people got married really young because that was the way society worked, women were meant to get married, that was usually their main goal back then. Also it's a teen YA book where love is magical and is as valid as unicorn poop. xxx