The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games question

Who else didn't like how Katniss narrated?
☽Ƹɱɱɑ☾ ☽Ƹɱɱɑ☾ Jun 08, 2013 05:19PM
OK, I know that The Hunger Games is viewed as the best book of all time by some people. And I get that, I really do. But I just couldn't get into it. I didn't like the way Katniss narrated it. Maybe if her thoughts were more insightful or deep I would have liked it more. I liked her as a character, just not as a narrator. Everything else about the book is fine. It's just that darn little thing that messed it up for me. She tells the story in a very detached way, as if she is not truly present.

Did anyone else feel the same way?

it was quite good, but later it was bit on the slow side.

I definately agree with you.
Katniss was a very brave, respectable and kind character, but she wasn't a deep-thinking optimistic point of view to see the story from. It led to some very biased points of view; probably why most characters are either good or bad, and there is not much room to delve deeper into the complexity that could have been present from the point of view of another character. Perhaps Peeta would have been better suited to the role of main character? He was optimistic and much deeper than Katniss.

Jeni I agree with this. Not to mention she was passed out for most of book 3 so we would get these paragraphs summarizing a ton of action at a time instead ...more
Jun 20, 2013 01:35AM

I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE.
Hallelujah.
I actually didn't like the Hunger Games for this very reason (well, other minor ones as well but mostly this one). I found Katniss was always a step behind and that she was ignorant to the point of being unintelligent about Peeta and Gale's feelings for her as well as of other things, but that seems to be the one that sticks out in my mind. Her thoughts were so boring.

deleted member Jun 08, 2013 07:30PM   0 votes
Yup. I agree.