The Sword and Laser discussion

Celebromancy (Ree Reyes, #2)
This topic is about Celebromancy
Author Promo (Share Your Stuff!) > Celebromancy (Ree Reyes #2)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michael Underwood | 116 comments Hello fellow Swords and Lasers!

This is Michael R. Underwood, author of Geekomancy. The second Ree Reyes book, Celebromancy, is coming out on July 15th, and I'm very excited to share more of Ree's adventures with readers.

You can read the first chapter for free on io9.com: http://io9.com/read-the-first-chapter...

I'll have announcements and links to giveaways and contests over the next few months, for those that are interested.

A bit about Celebromancy:

Fame has a magic all its own in the no-gossip-barred follow-up to Geekomancy. Ree Reyes gets her big screenwriting break, only to discover just how broken Hollywood actually is.

Things are looking up for urban fantasista Ree Reyes. She’s using her love of pop culture to fight monsters and protect her hometown as a Geekomancer, and now a real-live production company is shooting her television pilot script.

But nothing is easy in show business. When an invisible figure attacks the leading lady of the show, former-child star-turned-current-hot-mess Jane Konrad, Ree begins a school-of-hard-knocks education in the power of Celebromancy.

Attempting to help Jane Geekomancy-style with Jedi mind tricks and X-Men infiltration techniques, Ree learns more about movie magic than she ever intended.

She also learns that real life has the craziest plots: not only must she lift a Hollywood-strength curse, but she needs to save her pilot, negotiate a bizarre love rhombus, and fight monsters straight out of the silver screen. All this without anyone getting killed or, worse, banished to the D-List.

Michael Underwood | 116 comments Celebromancy is now available on all ebook formats and in audiobook (narrated by Mary Robinette Kowal).

This post on my blog has all the buy links and more: http://michaelrunderwood.com/2013/07/...

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I really enjoyed Geekomancy. I may have to listen to the audiobook for this one. I recently listened to an audiobook narrated by Mary Robinette Kowall and thought she was one of the best female narrators I have heard.

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I'm listening to the audiobook now. I'm enjoying it a lot. The audio wasn't on GoodReads, so I've added it and combined it with the other editions.

Is it available in paper? I only saw the ebook and the Kindle edition when I was looking for it.

Michael Underwood | 116 comments Hi Sandi - glad you're enjoying the audiobook.

There's no paper edition right now, since the books are being published by Pocket Star, which is a digital-first imprint. There may yet be a paperback edition if the book sells well enough.

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments Michael wrote: "Hi Sandi - glad you're enjoying the audiobook.

There's no paper edition right now, since the books are being published by Pocket Star, which is a digital-first imprint. There may yet be a paperba..."

That's okay. I don't think I've finished reading a paperbook yet this year. It's all about audiobooks and ebooks in my world these days.

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments Pre-ordered pt 2 if its 1/2 as good as the first book its worth twice what I paid for it...my lord 1.99 for that level of entertainment ...thats just crazy Loved book one finishing up some current reads so I can get to book 2.
Michael I have no Idea why a major publisher (especially Ernest Cline's or Jim Hines haven't picked you up yet) Seriously folks if you haven't read Geekomancy go get it now...if you have then you are already getting book two Im Positive of that.
Looking forward to 2 Michael. Only hours from now I'll have it in my grubby little reader.

P.S. When I was looking forward to Geekomancy and realizing it was e-book only it's what made me finally get the e-reader so thanks...glad I did.

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments Got so excited I went and checked my kindle ap and Celebromancy was there already... Thank you Michael my unfortunate 70 day lay off from work just got a little less gloomy knowing tomorrow I can start on Ree's new story...too tired now...Thanks, between your new book, Del Toro's Pacific Rim and Joss Whedon's incredible take on Much Ado About Nothing maybe my summer won't suck as much as I thought...

Ok Enough kissing your talented butt :)
Dude did you catch Orphan Black this year...thought that would so be up your alley...so good...thought of Ree while watching that for some reason...Waiting for it's return and Whedon's New Shield TV show this year...Sherlock's Return...50th anniversary of Doctor Who in November it's like a geeky wet dream right now...Book three for Ree...yeah an Orpahn Black and Shield reference are musts...
Love your work man...serious fan for life...Volunteer member of your street team if you need it :)...made the wife a fan as well...still can't for the life of me figure out why paper publisher's arent lining up to cover you in love and money...Keep it up

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments Finished it. Enjoyed it. Awesome narration.

Michael Underwood | 116 comments You can enter to win one of two copies of Celebromancy here:
http://www.talkingsupe.com/2013/07/br...

message 11: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments Michael I have a weird question.
All these foods and Restaurants in the books, are they real or based on something real as well as the staff.
Like Turbo Pizza and crack fries, burger bin and the milkshakes etc because its really hard to concentrate on reading when doing so makes me hungry I have to diet after reading your stuff cuz it gives me the munchies.
And I really want some of this food you are so obsessed with :).

message 12: by Paul (last edited Jul 21, 2013 08:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments Another Question/comment its Obvious your a board gamer (like me) as well as card and role with references like Grognard, and Descent pieces and Wheatons Table top. I have an account on Board Game Geek and everything.
Have you ever tried Lords of Waterdeep...love that game uses a D&D setting (Waterdeep duh :) ) in a euro style worker placement game. Instead of getting resources like Wheat, stone, wood etc you gather fighters, wizards, rogues and clerics.
Fantastic game

Michael Underwood | 116 comments I've not played Lords of Waterdeep, but I've heard very good things, so I'll have to give it a shot sometime!

More games for everyone. :)

message 14: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments Michael wrote: "I've not played Lords of Waterdeep, but I've heard very good things, so I'll have to give it a shot sometime!

More games for everyone. :)"

Ok but what about my foodie question above that?
Need to know about the goodies, grok me?

Michael Underwood | 116 comments Turbo's pie is based on my favorite deep dish pizza toppings, and goes for pies in the tradition of Lou Malnati's, though I make my own deep dish pies.

Burger Bin is inspired by Shake Shack, a chain in NYC and elsewhere on the east coast.

And the crack fries are based on a dish served at Farm Bloomington in Bloomington, IN. You can find the recipe for Crack fries in Farmfood: Green Living with Chef Daniel Orr.

message 16: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments Thanks :)

Michael Underwood | 116 comments Hi all!

I wanted to pop back in and make sure folks knew that CELEBROMANCY is a Kindle Daily Deal today. You can get all of the geek-tastic-ness for just $1.99

http://www.amazon.com/Celebromancy-Mi...

And if you do, the audiobook (narrated excellently by Hugo Award Winner Mary Robinette Kowal) is only $1.99 as well! http://www.amazon.com/Celebromancy-Re...

And because two deals isn't enough, GEEKOMANCY, the first book in the series, is still $1.99 as a Kindle Big Deal. http://www.amazon.com/Geekomancy-Mich...

So you could get all three for the price of a burger or a fancy latte.