Horror Aficionados discussion

Buddy Reads > Boy's Life by Robert McCammon (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Have just started reading this book and wonder if anyone would like to join me. At the moment it's just Walter and myself.

Walter (Kindly reading it with me so I don't have to read it alone)
Kate

Anyone else is free to join in the read, the more the merrier. :)

message 2: by Char (new)

Char  | 13437 comments Mod
I'm just gonna hang out. I remember some things...and I like to see people discover it. If you don't mind. :)

message 3: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
I'm gonna hang out, too.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments YAY :)

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Every time I start reading it again I always read the poem at the front, I love it. :)

message 6: by Jon Recluse (new)

:)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll be lingering too. :)

message 8: by Char (new)

We ran like young, wild furies...

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments I disagree with the end of the poem though, it's not just for the boys. ;)

message 10: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments There's a great quote from near the end that specifically references girls, Kate. Even though it has nothing to do with the plot, and therefore isn't really a spoiler, there's always the possibility that my reprinting it here might detract from the reading experience. But trust me, you'll love it.

Choked me the heck up, it did.

message 11: by Kate (last edited Jun 09, 2013 02:18AM) (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Walter, I'm getting choked up reading this book. It's making me feel very nostalgic.

message 12: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments I just finished reading Chapter Five, Death of a Bike. Wanted to get at least as far as you, Kate. And it has given me the chance to make use of my new bookmark, given to me by a couple who run a wonderful shop along the riverfront in Wilmington, NC. The painting on it is by David Delamare, two naked mermaids swimming upwards in a sepia sea.

It's been so long since I last read Boy's Life that doing so again is like browsing through an old photo album full of memories. Not only that, but having been so long since my first time (and being a man at variance with that much younger self) I'm experiencing it all over again through the eyes of a very different person.

An odd, mildly disquieting, but still singly joyous experience. :)

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Can you post a pic of it, Walter?

I liked the Midnight Mona story in CH5 and how it tied in with their visit to the junk yard.

message 14: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Kate, I'm not sure how to post pics here on Goodreads, but here's a link to the work that serves as the base for the bookmark: http://daviddelamare.com/embrace.html

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments It's beautiful, Walter.

I've only just got the hang of posting pics myself. I can try and explain if you want?

message 16: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments As the fish said to the worm, "Okay, I'll bite." :)

message 17: by Kate (last edited Jun 09, 2013 06:32AM) (new)

Kate | 3520 comments I normally start by copying and pasting the image formatting info in (some html is ok).
I then delete the width, height and description stuff so that what I'm left with is < img src=" "/ > (but with no spaces).

Then I go to the image online that I want to post, right click and copy it. Back on the goodreads page, in the comments box I paste the image in between the "". There should be no space in between the "".
Hope this makes sense.

message 18: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Let's see...

My oldest granddaughter. :)

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments There you go. Easy once you get the hang of it.

She's a stunner, Walter. You must have a very good looking family.
Is she a fan of you writing?

message 20: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Thank you, Kate. Her sister (who's ten) is also going to turn out to be a beauty, methinks. :)

She's read my collaboration with Holly Lisle, The Devil and Dan Cooley, and liked it. She also has a copy of House of Shadows I gave her, but I don't have a clue as to whether she's read it or not.

message 21: by Kate (last edited Jun 11, 2013 03:36AM) (new)

Kate | 3520 comments I'm at 24% now.

The stories around the flood were really good. I laughed out loud at the entrance of Vernon Thaxter but I found a lot of the chapter was quite tense. The man with the green feather in his cap was a reminder that there are still dangerous elements in the town.
The poor doggie getting taken by Old Moses and I wouldn't wanted to have smelt what he vomited up, yuk.
Cory and his mum went to see the Lady, I like the almost mystical element of Cory viewing the Lady as getting younger whilst she speaks to him. I also think I need some of the potion number 10 to make me smarter and help me get my assignment done. :)
Part 2, CH1, the end of summer and a 'flight' to celebrate. Who hasn't run for the sheer joy of running, feeling the wind and sun around you, making you feel completely alive. *sighs*

message 22: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Kate, does your copy have the 2008 foreword by the author on why he wrote Boy's Life?

The library copy I have does. In it, McCammon relates one of his fondest memories, the story of the woman who told him about her father, who requested that he be buried with a copy of it, his favorite book, when he died.

message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments No, it doesn't have it. :(

message 24: by Walter (last edited Jun 11, 2013 04:39PM) (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Kate, if you go to Amazon and do a search for Boy's Life, then click on the School and Library Binding Edition, the 'Look Inside' feature will allow you to read that foreword.

One of the things that I loved about it is that I no longer, as a writer, feel like an oddball. I read about so many authors who do elaborate outlines, plot everything to the last iota, etc. But McCammon writes the way I do:

I don't, and never did, write with an outline. I have what I call 'signpost scenes', something that happens at the beginning, the middle and toward the end, that hopefully keeps me going in the right direction...

message 25: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments How funny he thinks he's like Vernon. I guess the further into the book I get the more that will make sense?
I'm not reading this very quickly at the moment, only a couple of chapters at a time. After next Wednesday I will devote a bit more time to it.

message 26: by Char (new)

There is a quote about a girl (if I remember correctly) that was absolutely gorgeous. I'm going to see if I can find it. Perhaps I will post it here when you guys are done. :)

message 27: by Troy (new)

Troy Palmer | 12 comments Wow great book. Hope you are enjoying it. I will chime in from time to time since I have read the book previously.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Even though the book is from a boy's point of view I still connected strongly to it. I was raised in a different time and in a non traditional family (I lived with my grandparents, my single mother, and my aunt) but for me the book brings back the feeling and memory of being a kid.
But, I also connected a lot with the father character too.

message 29: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Kate wrote: How funny he thinks he's like Vernon. I guess the further into the book I get the more that will make sense?

When I read that part, I had forgotten who Vernon was. Just got to him.

Kate, I think this quote from the book nails at least one reason Mr. McCammon identifies with Vernon:

Mom told me that Vernon used to be all right, but he'd written a book and gone to New York with it, and a year later he was back home wandering around nude and nutty.

message 30: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Duh, I missed that. He thought that at the town meeting.

message 31: by Hunter (new)

Hunter (goathunter) | 75 comments Now that you've already seen the 2008 Foreword, it (as well as others) can also be found on the McCammon site:

Robert McCammon Articles

Hunter

message 32: by Troy (new)

Troy Palmer | 12 comments For those interested, an illustraton that I did inspired by Boy's Life can be viewed at the Robert McCammon site.

Troy's Art

message 33: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Nice work, Troy.

message 34: by Troy (new)

Troy Palmer | 12 comments Thank you Walter.

message 35: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Fantastic work, Troy! They're amazing. :)

message 36: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Hunter wrote: "Now that you've already seen the 2008 Foreword, it (as well as others) can also be found on the McCammon site:

Robert McCammon Articles

Hunter"

Thanks, Hunter. :)

message 37: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Kate, how far are you in the book? Because, I'm about 3/4 done and I thought I'd wait till you caught up.

message 38: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Hi Eileen, I'm still at 24%. I've got uni work to get finished before I can get stuck in. I'm hoping to get a bit more read over the weekend but probably won't really get into it until next week.

message 39: by Eileen (new)

Eileen No problem, I'm just happy to talk about this book with someone, lol.

message 40: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Me too, I'm finding that every chapter has so much going on I can't wait to chat to someone about it. :)

message 41: by Char (new)

Troy wrote: "Thank you Walter."

Troy, fantastic! I especially liked Swan. Nice work!

message 42: by Hunter (new)

Hunter (goathunter) | 75 comments You all may be interested in the recent photos and audio interview I posted from the 2013 Bram Stoker Awards Weekend (last weekend in New Orleans).

RobertMcCammon.com

Hunter

message 43: by Char (new)

I was looking through my Kindle version last night and I did find that quote. I will post it later tonight.

Walter, somehow I missed the pic of your daughter. She's beautiful! You did good! :)

message 44: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments That's my oldest granddaughter, Charlene. She's a handful at times. Once when we dropped by the house, she said something like "My favorite grandparent!" and rushed by me to hug my wife (her step-grandmother).

But I give as good as I get. :)

Hunter, very cool.

message 45: by Jon Recluse (new)

My sister's ex-husband's grandmother did that to me once.

I dodged and she ran into the side of my car.

message 46: by Char (new)

Oh, sorry I misread that, Walter!

LOL, Jon!

message 47: by Char (last edited Jun 21, 2013 08:07AM) (new)

This quote is from about 21% into Boy's Life. It's one of my favorite quotes from the book. Here he is talking about The Lady's eyes:

"They were luminous, full of trapped and burning light, and looking into them you felt as if your secret self might be jimmied open like a sardine can and something stolen from you. And you might not even mind it, either, you might want it to be so. I had never seen eyes like that before, and I never have since."

message 48: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Charlene wrote: "This quote is from about 21% into Boy's Life. It's one of my favorite quotes from the book. Here he is talking about The Lady's eyes:

"They were luminous, full of trapped and burning light, and lo..."

I like the character of the lady. That is a beautiful quote.

message 49: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Part two, CH2. (view spoiler)

message 50: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments I'm past where you are, Kate, but paused to read some other stuff while you played catch up. (view spoiler)

« previous 1