Faith Fringe discussion

genres > Favorite sci-fi?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason (jokers_knight_out) | 53 comments Mod
I don't want anyone thinking this group is just for horror lovers, it's for any genre considered "strange" by the mainstream religious community.
So, anyone have any fave sci-fi books/authors? Now's a cool time to freely confess.

message 2: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 49 comments I was big into sci-fi when I was in high school but I lost interest in it. I read more than 30 of the Star Wars Expanded Universe novels. I'll reread them someday, I just don't know when.

message 3: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Frank Herbert's classic, Dune.

message 4: by Jason (new)

That's on my to-read list, the ENTIRE series.

message 5: by Dustin (new)

Dustin I've only read the first book, which is highly recommended.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Jones | 4 comments Wool Omnibus is a great indie sci-fi (but make sure to get the omnibus edition for the full story arc.) I also like Ursula K. Le Guin and Anne McCaffrey.

message 7: by Dustin (new)

Dustin I love Le Guin, I really want to read more of her amazing work! I think that Wool sounds great, as well!

message 8: by Allyson (new)

Allyson (statsnerd) | 8 comments I loveKurt Vonnegutand as a kid I loved Madeline L'Engle. I also love Jasper Fforde. I don't know if that counts as Sci-Fi. Has anyone read his stuff? It's funny and clever. It's Kurt VOnnegut esque to me, but not as edgy or inappropriate. I have to say I find Kurt Vonnegut's inappropriate humor funny though.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Sadly, I haven't read any of them.

message 10: by Dustin (new)

Dustin I love Kurt Vonnegut! I want to read more of his work!

message 11: by Allyson (new)

Allyson (statsnerd) | 8 comments Dustin wrote: "I love Kurt Vonnegut! I want to read more of his work!"

Have you read Slaughterhouse-Five and/or Breakfast of Champions? Those are my two favorites and must reads.

message 12: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Allyson wrote: "Dustin wrote: "I love Kurt Vonnegut! I want to read more of his work!"

Have you read Slaughterhouse-Five and/or Breakfast of Champions? Those are my two favorites and must reads."

You know, I'm really not sure which Vonnegut book(s) I've read. I'm pretty sure that it was
Hocus Pocus, though I don't really remember it.

message 13: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Speaking of which, you might enjoy the following article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gavin-e...

message 14: by Allyson (new)

Allyson (statsnerd) | 8 comments Dustin wrote: "Speaking of which, you might enjoy the following article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gavin-e..."

Thank you! I haven't read the article yet, but I'm excited to do so.

message 15: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Aw, you're so very welcome, Allyson!

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim (james317) | 5 comments It's rare that I'm really impressed with Christian speculative fiction. Like many of you I often get more out of reading secular fiction and thinking about it in terms of my Christian worldview and Biblical truth. However, I really enjoyed the book "A Star Curiously Singing" by Kerry Nietz. It's not Dune, but I found the characters interesting and was able to get pretty immersed in the narrative. Have others read it? It's the first in a series and I intend to pick up the following books.

message 17: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle L. Ron Hubbards Battlefield Earth was a great story. (lets NEVER discuss the horrendous atrocity that was the movie.)

His Mission Earth was a great read as well.

message 18: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 49 comments Jim wrote: "It's rare that I'm really impressed with Christian speculative fiction. Like many of you I often get more out of reading secular fiction and thinking about it in terms of my Christian worldview an..."

I haven't read that, but I do want to read Amish Vampires in Space. :)

message 19: by Jim (new)

Jim (james317) | 5 comments Wow. I thought you might be joking at first, but now I really want to read it too!

message 21: by Spencer (new)

Spencer | 1 comments While I disagree with the theology of the concept of alien life, Starship Troopers, by Robert Heinlein is still a favorite of mine.

message 22: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Swann (goodreadscomalexandra_swann) | 1 comments My new novel The Force is very weird. Sci fi about cloning with a definite Christian witness. And it's free on Kindle through Saturday November 2.

Someone is murdering the world’s most beautiful women—over and over and over.

When Jarrod and Joshua Sinclair are called in to consult with the FBI about the Hollywood Starlet murders, they immediately suspect their old nemesis, Josef Helmick, of creating clones of famous women for a visiting Saudi prince. Wasting no time, they hire retired detective Fred Kowalski and send him to Dubai to uncover Josef’s base of operations and build a case against him for the murders.

But Fred soon discovers that Helmick is harboring a secret much darker than human trafficking. Fred must stop Josef before he resurrects an ancient, diabolical Force in order to bring the entire human race under his control.

Available on Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZFFXSE
Alexandra Swann Alexandra Swann The Force The Force by Alexandra Swann

message 23: by Jason (new)

Well, currently reading Under the Dome by Stephen King and it's VERY good (besides a 100-ish page-long hiccup in the beginning).