Goodreads Reviewers' Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca, The Constant Reader (new)

Rebecca (rebeccas_books) | 340 comments Mod
Read an exiting Adventure book lately? Or one that didn't didn't live up to the hype? Post your reviews here for other Adventure Seekers.

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul | 21 comments The Bookman's Tale: A Novel of Obsession
by Charlie Lovett 4-stars

I should disclose that I have a slight acquaintance with the author – his parents are friends of my wife’s folks. Despite that, I can truthfully say I enjoyed The Bookman’s Tale based on its own merits. I have a passion for book lore and I do love a bibliocentric novel. Lovett’s book satisfyingly offers up rare book buying and selling, collecting, forgery, book repair and construction, as well as insights into a man who is profoundly obsessed with books. I picked this up hoping for a John Dunning type mystery, but found something closer to Perez-Reverte’s The Club Dumas. While The Bookman’s Tale starts out feeling like a biblio-mystery, and the hero finally does get to the bottom of several murders, the story shapes up to be a quest for the Shakespearian “holy grail,” an adventure that engages all of a master bookman’s resources. Lovett does a fine job of balancing three converging narratives. The central story follows bookman Peter Byerly, holed up in an English village nursing his grief for his dead wife. As Peter becomes increasingly obsessed with a mysterious book, the plot morphs into a thriller in which the hero struggles to learn enough to stay ahead of deadly pursuers. This narrative thread is interspersed with the back story of Peter’s growing love – both for books and for his future wife – at a fictional North Carolina university, and the tale, beginning in the sixteenth century, of the object of Peter’s growing obsession. Lovett has created an engaging, well-paced story with fully realized characters served in a rich biblio sauce. No book lover should miss this one.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark Carver (markcarverbooks) | 1 comments I'm reading Captain Blood at the moment, a salty sea-dog tale of piracy and treachery on the high seas. I'm absolutely loving it, and I'm sure it will be at least four stars when I'm done.

message 4: by Rebecca, The Constant Reader (new)

4/5 stars to Kiera's Quest Awakenings (Kiera's Quest, #1) by Kristy Brown

'Somewhere deep down inside her, there was a puzzle she could not solve. This feeling made her uneasy and edgy, so she buried it away and kept it hidden. In her dreams though, came the desire to seek it out. And in her dreams something, or someone, was seeking her.'

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 5: by Rebecca, The Constant Reader (new)

3/5 stars to Kiera's Quest Sacrifices (Kiera's Quest, #2) by Kristy Brown

'Kiera opened her eyes to view the colourless sky above. Everything seemed hazy. Her brain felt like a sponge, like it was too big for her head. Her body ached and was angry with her. Then she remembered.'

message 9: by Brodie (new)

Brodie James | 9 comments Wow, i just finished reading the most amazing novel,The Commons: Book one: Journeyman written by Micheal Alan Peck. I was given this book in exchange for an honest review. I will be brutally honest, I loved it. Micheal is a true artist going from penning a column for TVGuide.com and writing restaurant reviews it amazes me how naturally he writes fantasy. The characters were so alive I could feel them with me every step of the way.You would never know is's his first novel it flows so perfectly.

Paul Reid is a tough 17 year old having spent most of his life in foster homes or on the street, he finds himself living at new beginnings group home. Even though he has grown to love Mike Hibbets also known as Papa Mike who runs the group home. A man who taught Paul "There's no god to lift us up - we rise or fall together". He finds himself leaving to find a place in the world. Paul buys a one way ticket to San Francisco, aboard the bus he meets Annie Brucker a red headed army veteran who did two tours of Iraq and her sweet little autistic boy, who turns out to be more than he appears. Both have their own stories in the book. The bus crashes and so starts the journey to free the commons from the thief Mr Brill who holds souls and their energy known as essence for his selfish gain never allowing them to move on. Which means everybody that dies gets trapped in Mr Brill's web never to leave purgatory.
Along the way Paul meets Jonas Porter a workaholic envoy who's job is to help him complete his journey. Rain a beautiful goth girl who's hair is as dark as her eyes with an attitude to match. Ken a huge mummy with a gentle personality and Po a crazy little monk with anger issues, who when fighting reminds me of tazzy devil just a blur of arms and legs.
Together they embark on an adventure to last a lifetime. Can they free the commons from the evil that traps it?

Micheal paints a picture so clear I didn't even need to close my eyes to see it. I fell in love with the characters they rip you into their journey and a world full of mystical and magical things, you will never want the book to end.
I laughed, I cried, I pondered life and am a better person for having read this book. Inside you will find a story of growth and twists you could never predict, with many beautiful quotes one of my favourites was when Jonas told Paul he felt "Like a kitten at four am and the world my owners toes".
I urge you to read this book you wont regret it Micheal is a genius. i give this book a ten out of five. You can find it at Kobo, Itunes and Amazon for under $4 but worth so much more. Looking forward to book two.

message 11: by Cora, Tea Party Princess (last edited Aug 24, 2014 12:55PM) (new)

message 14: by Rebecca, The Constant Reader (new)

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare

The boy never cried again, and he never forgot what he'd learned: that to love is to destroy, and that to be loved is to be the one destroyed.'

message 15: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) A brilliant murder mystery with a hint of romance in it Amazon Burning by Victoria Griffith
Mystery Adventure romance lovers must try it. Check out my review at Amazon Burning

message 16: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) The Return (Second Coming, #1) by Carter Vance is the first of a two part novel of the return of Jesus Christ. A wonderful thriller novel, it is a cannot-put-me-down type of book. Try my review of The Return

message 17: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) Hunter Moon A Grazi Kelly Novel #2 by C.D. Gorri is the second in the trilogy of Grazi kelly novels. It is a YA adventure thriller and a wonderful read for any age group. Check out my reviews at Hunter Moon: A Grazi Kelly Novel #2

message 18: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) Legacy: The Murefre Saga (book 1) Legacy: The Murefre Saga by B.R. Jensen

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Check the complete review at
Legacy: The Murefre Saga (book 1)

Legacy is a sci-fi, into the future kind of book. Unfortunately it is too much into the future for my liking. The story is set in a world where human beings are sorted into three categories: Murefre, human beings and Tonug Gal

For those who like sci fi stories set far into the future, this will be an interesting read. The setting and description are detailed and proper. There are first person narration from literally all the characters. There is heart break, treachery, fights, loyalty, everything.

View all my reviews

message 19: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) The Adventures of JoJo Smith The Adventures of JoJo Smith by Tony Leslie Duxbury

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Check out the complete review at
The Adventures of JoJo Smith

This is the story of a normal regular guy who gets transported to the medieval period due to an error by a Gandalf look alike. Now he cannot come back because the Gandalf guy knows only the summons spell and not the go-back spell.

Poor Jojo Smith is stuck in the medieval era and all he can do is try to adjust to the surrounding till Gandalf comes up with the go-back spell.

View all my reviews

message 20: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) Disciple (Book of Immortals, #1) by Kassandra Lynn Disciple
Genre: Fantasy / YA / Romance / Adventure / Thriller
Rating: 3 Star
Review: Disciple (Book of Immortals #1)
A different concept and interesting read

message 21: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) Exclusive by Yasmin Shiraz Exclusive
Genre: Romance / Adventure
Rating: 2 Star
Review: Exclusive
A love story between a Journalist and a Rapper

message 22: by Devi (last edited Jan 26, 2015 08:19PM) (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) Werewolf Nights by Mari Hamill Werewolf Nights
Genre: YA / New Adult / Adventure / Animal / Romantic
Review: Werewolf Nights
A Werewolf Love story with some adventure

Astro's Adventures Dogs In Space by Susan Day Dogs in Space: Book 8 in the Astro's Adventures series
Genre: Childrens' Book / Short Story / Illustrated / Adventure / Animal / Short Story
Rating: 5 Star
Review: Astro's Adventures Dogs In Space
An adventure of dogs to bring a replacement of the moon and cats to abolish dogs from the world

Sunny Side Up (Lake Erie Mysteries Book 1) by Maureen K. Howard Sunny Side Up
Genre: Murder / Mystery / Suspense / Crime / Series / Cozy Mystery
Review: Sunny Side Up (Lake Erie Mysteries Book 1)
A cozy murder mystery of two ladies investigating to save a innocent suspect

Eliza Bluebell by A.J. York Eliza Bluebell
Genre: Childrens Book / Adventure / Short Story / Magic
Review: Eliza Bluebell
A young girl comes to a village and spreads happiness through her magical cupcakes

Jess and the Ghost of Black Rock Castle by Nina Levison Jess and the Ghost of Black Rock Castle
Genre: Childrens Book / Series / Short Story / Adventure
Review: Jess and the Ghost of Black Rock Castle
Jess and her friends on a Haunted Castle field trip

Jess and the Christmas Surprise (The Jess Mystery Series, Book 3) by Nina Levison Jess and the Christmas Surprise
Genre: Childrens Book / Adventure / Short Story / Series
Review: Jess and the Christmas Surprise (The Jess Mystery Series, Book 3)
Jess and her friends plan for Christmas ... But there are some other plans set for them

The Summer Fete Mystery (The Jess Mystery Series, Book 4) by Nina Levison The Summer Fete Mystery
Genre: Childrens Book / Adventure / Short Story / Series
Review: The Summer Fete Mystery (The Jess Mystery Series, Book 4)
Jess and her friends plan a Summer Fete with some unexpected games coming their way

message 23: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) ...Before You Leap (Time Will Tell, #1) by Les Lynam ...Before You Leap
Genre: SciFi / Time Travel / Humor / YA / New Adult / Adventure
Review: ...Before You Leap
A very humorous time travel story. Absolutely must read

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (RachelMeehan) | 26 comments My Review of Area 7 (Shane Schofield, #2) by Matthew Reilly

4 stars for what has got to be one of the most entertaining action adventure books.......