The Ruins The Ruins discussion

My Theory About the Vines *spoiler*

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Toward the end, the vines start creating their own sentences and throwing out smells of baking bread and things the vines could have never smelled. The vines seem to try to communicate about where Jeff is (but in German). Where is Jeff? He is here. He is dead. Is it possible that Jeff is a part of the vines now and Jeff is the one trying to do the communicating? Even Amy, when after she died, "spoke" through the vines exposing who essentially killed her through inaction. Maybe the smells and actions and tricks of the vine are now the tricks of all the thirsty dead people who have now become part of the vine.

Jeannine Interesting thoughts.

Oglaigh na  hEireann dude it does not take a botanist to declare that book hella weak ! Talkin Aztec vines,...Mr. Ed was scarier because he had glass on his lips and some real horror involved,...ohh and he was a much better actor than anyone utilized in said movie.

Manny Arocho That is an interesting thought. Wasn't there a smell of cherry pie, too? Despite the comment below I thought the novel was one of the best horror novels I ever read and I read a lot.

Amy wrote: "Toward the end, the vines start creating their own sentences and throwing out smells of baking bread and things the vines could have never smelled. The vines seem to try to communicate about where ..."

Oglaigh na wrote: "dude it does not take a botanist to declare that book hella weak ! Talkin Aztec vines,...Mr. Ed was scarier because he had glass on his lips and some real horror involved,...ohh and he was a much b..."

Oglaigh na wrote: "dude it does not take a botanist to declare that book hella weak ! Talkin Aztec vines,...Mr. Ed was scarier because he had glass on his lips and some real horror involved,...ohh and he was a much b..."

Scott I never got the impression that the vine had absorbed anyone in that way. The vine used mimicry to repeat what the tourists have said in its presence. It seemed to possess some level of intelligence as well, as it knew the "right" things to say. If it is as ancient as is implied, there's no telling what smells or sounds it may have picked up in the past, and learned from.

message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria What is terrifying about the vines is their double nature of seemly unlimited power over the humans they hunt and sutle but nevertheless clear limitations of when and how they can attack. Their power seem to be linked somehow to the psycological weakness or personality flaws of the characters. These "things" may not be plants at all, only look like one, their unfolding malevolence and inteligence, the increasing gratuitous sadism they exhibit ...all adds up to create a truly terrifying atmosphere for the reader.
The ancient people living there, "The Mayans", seem to be the only ones that understand this evil presence, know how to contain it and try to warn the young but stupid westerness that consistnetly ignore their advice.
I imagine the vines like an ancient deity, or a kind of extraterrestrial life form, something along these lines.
I think the author burries deep symbolism under mundane, almost simplistic details like the way the "Mayans" contain the plant gives a BIG clue.

Juha I liked the book a lot because, similarly to Scott's earlier Simple Plan, there was the feeling of hopelessness and dread, no hope.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael That is a very interesting theory. I never thought about it like. Anyways, that was just a great novel.

message 9: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Gonzalez Nahhh it was just trying to break the rest of them.

message 10: by Tiff (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tiff M Amy wrote: "Toward the end, the vines start creating their own sentences and throwing out smells of baking bread and things the vines could have never smelled. The vines seem to try to communicate about where ..."

I know I'm way late, but I think they learn from the people they absorb. Mathias lived in apartment above a bakery, which his brother would have obviously visited. The first smell the vines release is one scent they know will not only remind them of their hunger, but will have an emotional impact for Mathias who will think of his home. The vines were inside of Eric and Eric obviously knows how Stacey sounds when they're having sex, which would explain how the plants were able to sound just like her.

Shane Nahhh it was just trying to break the rest of them

Why did the vines even bother doing that? They should be pumping them full of hope and encouraging their escape so they could all be shot dead at one go by the Mayans.