What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > History books on Veteran's Rights

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 591 comments Looking for non-fiction books/essays/articles on a history of American soldiers/American veteran's and their rights (i.e. GI Bill), etc. Having trouble finding much of anything...! Also government docs, archives, film, etc. of interest...

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 211 comments This isn't a book, but I'm sure there are documents on this site http://benefits.va.gov/benefits/

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38242 comments Mod
Over Here: How the G.I. Bill Transformed the American Dream
The G.I. bill : a breakthrough in educational and social policy in the United States
The G.I. Bill, the Veterans, and the Colleges
The GI Bill: The Law That Changed America
Beyond the Bonus March and GI Bill: How Veteran Politics Shaped the New Deal Era

A search on history of American soldiers on GR and at a local library brought up a lot of specialized histories: black soldiers, Indian soldiers, Civil War soldiers, Vietnam soldiers. The only thing I found that seemed to encompass all American soldiers has a pub. date of Oct. 2013. I also found an illustrated history of American soldiers, which seemed to emphasize things like uniforms and weaponry.

Veterans' Rights and Benefits
The Rights Of Veterans: The Basic Aclu Guide To A Veteran's Rights

message 4: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 591 comments Thanks so much.
So many specialized histories...but since I'm focusing on veteran's rights...but trying to avoid getting side-tracked by specialized/historial era studies!

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
How far back in history did you want to go? During the Great Depression, many WWI vets (and their families) were seriously mistreated by the then sitting President. I am not sure of a specific BOOK about them, but do know that there was a great deal of newspaper articles and things about it. The men were trying to get the government to release the promised "special veterans pay" that they'd been promised early. I'm afraid that it's been a very long time since I did any reading on this (for my Granddad's funeral--back in 1974--he had been a WWI vet.) I did the article as a "tribute" to him and other WWI vets for a history class in school.

message 6: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 591 comments Thanks for the info Ann; a major book on US WWI vets is by Jennifer D. Keene--which may be of interest to you.