Horror Aficionados discussion

Short Stories > Short Story Group Read Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tressa (last edited Jun 09, 2013 07:53PM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments In another thread there was some interest in a short story group read. Drop your ideas here about the best way to go about choosing the short stories we read, how long should the discussion last, etc.

SUGGESTED READS:

* The Doll by J.C. Martin
* The Bottle Imp by R.L. Stevenson
* The Willows

SHORT STORY WEBSITES:

http://www.underworldtales.com/classi...

http://www.dailyfreebooks.com/free_eb...

message 2: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Maybe we can alternate between classic stories and contemporary ones?

message 3: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6429 comments I'm in!

message 4: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Should we read/discuss one a week? How are they chosen? Does anyone want to be in charge of the short story group read?

message 5: by Jon Recluse (new)

Okay.

message 6: by Pamellia (new)

Pamellia (michiganparents) Tressa wrote: "Should we read/discuss one a week? How are they chosen? Does anyone want to be in charge of the short story group read?"

I think one short story a week would be good. Should all those interested in being in the group suggest a story or two and from that list we choose a story. Maybe each person could select the story for a specific week, sort of like "taking turns". This is the way the horror group does over on Shelfari and it seems to work out. I can not take the responsibility of being in charge, sry.

message 7: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 2529 comments Mod
Woo hoo count me in, great idea.

message 8: by Char (new)

Char  | 13450 comments Mod
I'm in, if I can. :)

message 9: by Jon Recluse (new)

You can. ;)

message 10: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments So Jon volunteered?

message 11: by Jon Recluse (new)

For what?

message 12: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2786 comments Is this about us writing our own short stories and featuring which to read? If not that could be interesting. Think of a horror theme and length and then see what type of short story everyone comes up with.

message 13: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Justin, no. You may want to create a thread in the author promotional folders for that. This is for us to read and discuss a short story from established authors in the horror field.

I asked for a volunteer up there in message #4 and in message #5 you posted "okay."

message 14: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Start posting your short story suggestions and I'll list them in my original message and we'll just go in the order that they're posted.

message 15: by Jon Recluse (new)

Tressa wrote: "Justin, no. You may want to create a thread in the author promotional folders for that. This is for us to read and discuss a short story from established authors in the horror field.

I asked for ..."

I said "Okay" to reading one a week.

message 16: by Pamellia (new)

Pamellia (michiganparents) I will post tomorrow. I have so many books on my kindle and I want to make sure I give you SS. Talk to you then.

message 17: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments I'm in... Great of Jon for accepting to look after this! ;-P

message 18: by Jon Recluse (new)

Carnacki!

message 19: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6429 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "Carnacki!"

Bingo!

I have a whole bunch of classics that I want to read. I'll put together a list tomorrow.

message 20: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6429 comments How about a suggestion?

The Bottle Imp by Robert Louis Stevenson

14,000 words, public domain

"Offering an engrossing spin on a time-honored theme--the risky business of making a pact with the devil--this short story is a radiant jewel. It recounts the mercurial lot of Keawe, a Hawaiian who purchases a bottle inhabited by an imp capable of granting any wish. Yet this enticing object holds a dark curse: anyone who dies with it in his possession will burn forever in hell. And here's the rub: one can sell the bottle only for less than its purchase price. Keawe rids himself of the bottle after acquiring a palatial home. But when he needs it again to ensure his happiness with a newfound love, its cost is, chillingly, one cent, and the responsibility of ownership becomes a good deal more complex."

message 21: by Jon Recluse (new)

That's a good one.

And the story behind that story is incredible.

message 22: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6429 comments Check out this beautiful site:

http://www.underworldtales.com/classi...

Be sure to scroll down to the bottom!

message 23: by Jon Recluse (new)

Nice!

message 24: by Pamellia (last edited Jun 09, 2013 11:29AM) (new)

Pamellia (michiganparents) Serial

8000 words
56 pages

Read this a few years ago and really enjoyed it

(Oops! I meant to follow in Ken's footsteps and add the description)

The #1 Amazon Kindle Bestseller, downloaded over 250,000 times, now back in its original version…

Jack Kilborn (aka J.A. Konrath) and Blake Crouch turn their attention to the twin golden rules of hitchhiking:

# 1: Don’t go hitchhiking, because the driver who picks you up could be certifiably crazy.

# 2: Don’t pick up hitchhikers, because the traveler you pick up could be a raving nutcase.

So what if, on some dark, isolated road, Crazy #1 offered a ride to Nutcase #2?

When two of the most twisted minds in the world of horror fiction face off, the result is SERIAL, a terrifying tale of hitchhiking gone terribly wrong. Like a deeply twisted version of an “After School Special,” SERIAL is the single most persuasive public service announcement on the hazards of free car rides.

Beyond a thrilling piece of horrifying suspense, SERIAL is also a groundbreaking experiment in literary collaboration. Kilborn wrote the first part. Crouch wrote the second. And they wrote the third together over email in 100-word exchanges, not aware of each other’s opening section. All bets were off, and may the best psycho win.

message 25: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments These need to be true SHORT stories that can be read quickly. No long stories or novellas.

message 26: by Pamellia (new)

Pamellia (michiganparents) Tressa wrote: "These need to be true SHORT stories that can be read quickly. No long stories or novellas."

Can you give us a range? Would 56 pages be considered a short story. I know of some that are around 10 pages, but I thought that would be too short?

message 27: by Mixofsunandcloud (new)

Mixofsunandcloud | 539 comments Since it was the topic of conversation where this came up, maybe The Willows would be a good idea, unless everyone's read it already.

message 28: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I was thinking from 10-20 pages. What does everyone else think?

message 29: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Here's an example of a short story group read from the past.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the idea of keeping them short. Especially if it is a weekly read. Between 10-20 sounds about right with some give.
Also, I like the idea of alternating classics and contemporary stories. Or at least reading some contemporary.

message 31: by Pamellia (new)

Pamellia (michiganparents) Tressa wrote: "I was thinking from 10-20 pages. What does everyone else think?"

Oh, thanks, Tressa! How big is the Stevenson's book. I was think it was longer than 50 pages. Obviously the story I suggested is out.

There is a posting of free short stories at this link, I'm sure many of you already know of it, but it might help.

http://www.dailyfreebooks.com/free_eb...

message 32: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Should they be short stories found online for free? I'm sure nobody wants to go searching for one that can only be found in an anthology.

message 33: by Jon Recluse (new)

Lot's of the classic collections are free.

message 34: by Pamellia (new)

Pamellia (michiganparents) Tressa wrote: "Should they be short stories found online for free? I'm sure nobody wants to go searching for one that can only be found in an anthology."

The Bottle Imp is free on amazon.com. It is one of the stories from Island Night's Entertainment. Also a few places to read on line.

So do you want the group to only read short stories that can be found on line. Like the classics. That would be fine with me, however you want to set it up, Tressa!

message 35: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6429 comments I really don't care which direction we go with this. I prefer the classics. But there are a lot of contemporary short stories that I am interested in as well. If we pay attention to the Amazon deals, we can pick off a few contemporary freebies here and there. We should be certain to point those out to the group when we see them so that we can queue them up for the next read.

I'm just happy to have someone to read these with. I haven't read a short story in years. I blew through Somerset Maugham and Anton Chekhov (among others) years ago and kind of burned myself out on the shorter reads. I guess with all of the stuff that I have going on right now (my wife just had child #1, work, etc.) that I can't mentally get into anything longer. It is taking me weeks to get through some titles that I should have read in three or four days.

Really looking forward to these!

message 36: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6429 comments In fact, go pick this one up:

http://www.amazon.com/Girls-Parties-e...

How to Talk to Girls at Parties - Neil Gaiman

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Some short stories can be hard to hunt down and there are so many to be found online for free, both old and new stuff, it should make things easier.

message 38: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6429 comments And here's another that we should look at:

http://www.neilgaiman.com/mediafiles/...

A Study in Emerald - Neil Gaiman

message 39: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments OK. We'll just do the online thing. I'll read any short story as long as it's good; I don't care if it's new, old, whatever.

Let's do "A Study in Emerald" by Gaiman.

message 41: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5559 comments Mod
There is one called THE DOLL that has been free on kindle for quite a while--it was really good! I can't think of the author offhand, but when you type in "free horror stories" in the kindle store, it's usually in the first page or two.

message 42: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Thanks, Kimberly. Can't beat a horror doll story.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

This one The Doll? I read this one and thought it was good too, especially for a freebie.

message 44: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5559 comments Mod
Traci L. wrote: "This one The Doll? I read this one and thought it was good too, especially for a freebie."

I had recommended it to 2 other people, and they both loved it. I'm pretty sure it's still free (and I can loan my copy to someone), if anyone is interested. I'm curious to discuss it with others!

BTW: I just read A STUDY IN EMERALD. :)

message 45: by Jon Recluse (new)

YAY!

BTW: The Doll is still free.

message 46: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Oh, I already bought that one on March 4. Good. We'll read that one week after next.

message 47: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6429 comments Do you think we could do two short stories per week? One classic and one contemporary?

message 48: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments That sounds like a good idea. How about the Bottle Imp?

http://gaslight.mtroyal.ca/bottlimp.htm

message 49: by Fatman (new)

Fatman Butter | 1 comments Spark: a creative anthology...Well worth checking ut

message 50: by Pamellia (new)

Pamellia (michiganparents) Kimberly wrote: I had recommended it to 2 other people, and they both loved it. I'm pretty sure it's st..."

As someone else stated The Doll is still free! Kimberly, I would love to read it and discuss. A few other ppl have read it and may like to get in on the discussion. I can probably read it within the next 24 hours.

« previous 1