You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > June Toppler - Summer Camp

Comments Showing 1-50 of 138 (138 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments  photo SummerCamp2013_zps2da83b77.jpg

Camp is open. We’ve got a while before our first hike, so grab your book and head out to the pool or a shady hammock, and start reading! Have fun, and avoid the poison oak.

message 2: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments ***BE SURE YOUR BOOKS ARE A MINIMUM OF 175 PAGES***

message 3: by Almeta (last edited Jun 09, 2013 03:49AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10085 comments Hello Campers!

Has anybody seen Alexandra and Ann?
 photo Binoculars_zps36a31391.jpg

It seems they have wandered off the nature path and we have not seen them since.

If you run into them out there in the lonely scary woods, tell them that Camp Jingalo misses them and send them back to us.

We sure hope that the bear didn't get them!

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Sorry, I've been unavoidably detained! I should arrive at camp some time today!

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2592 comments Ooohhh this is a bit worrying Almeta, we have campers missing too!

I've not heard from Thing Two, Naomi and Joe since the camp opened.

Maybe they are off having a party in the woods? ;)

message 6: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10085 comments Ann wrote: "Sorry, I've been unavoidably detained! I should arrive at camp some time today!"

Thank Goodness Ann!

Have you seen Alexandra, Thing Two, Naomi and Joe? Are they with you?

Glad we don't have to worry about you. See you at Camp Jingalo.

message 7: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments I think there are a few stragglers in Camp Happy too! Let's hope that means they are eagerly reading with no time to post!

message 8: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I bet they had calls from home and had to deal with some issues, and I believe some might be traveling. We'll send out a search party if we haven't heard from them by tonight!

message 9: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Everyone's doing so great! I've got to go finish my first book.

note to self...quit snacking so much, put computer in different room, and lock dogs outside.

message 10: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 1994 comments I just wanted to say that I am loving the scavenger hunt pictures everyone is posting- it's like a mini vacation for my eyes. Great idea JMom!

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Marnie wrote: "I just wanted to say that I am loving the scavenger hunt pictures everyone is posting- it's like a mini vacation for my eyes. Great idea JMom!"

I second that. The pictures are great! Plus, all the camps are doing brilliantly with their reading. This is a really fun toppler.

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47889 comments I hope the missing campers aren't getting acquainted with poison ivy or poison oak if they're out wandering in the woods.

I just got home, started my first book this morning, and have checked in with Camp Happy. I'm really tired so will check the other camps tomorrow. Right now, bed and my second book is calling. Night all! Has anyone seen the mosquito net?

message 13: by Jane Reads (new)

Jane Reads The what net? Ooops. I thought that was a fishing net.

message 14: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16851 comments After trying to find flowers in bloom can I point out how northern hemisphere-centric this is. I'm in the middle of bloody of winter!!! BAH. *keeps on fricking hunting.*

message 15: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16851 comments ^^ notice the grumbles!!!

message 16: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments Find a florist Rusalka!

message 17: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2592 comments Heh, that's exactly what I was going to say Sarah :)

message 18: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments The one I think I will struggle with is the campfire!

message 19: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2592 comments Yup, me too ... really not sure what to do about that one :/

message 20: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I was thinking of camp related things, not locations around the world. I'll add fireplace fire to campfire, and it can be wood or gas.

message 21: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments No indoor plants, Rusalka? ;)

message 22: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2592 comments Jmom, what about the canoe / kayak / sailboat ...... does it have to be specifically those or can it be any boat on water?

I don't live anywhere near places that would have those things but I would be able to get pictures of boats.

message 23: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10085 comments Kat wrote: "No indoor plants, Rusalka? ;)"

Oh, I hope that's not true. I posted my blooming Peace Lily and my African Violet.

message 24: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jun 10, 2013 08:30AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Almeta, I think Kat is asking Rusalka if she has any indoor plants.

message 25: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2592 comments Yup, that's how I read it too.

message 26: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments I was asking if Rus is she has any indoor plants, Almeta :) Mine was an indoor plant too!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Quick quiestion:
Where should I be posting the discussion thread for the Round Robin? In the Toppler section, or in group reads?
Thanks

message 28: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47889 comments If they are reading The Great Gatsby or Moll Flanders, I think we can allow them to use the discussion threads already set up in the Monthly Group Read section. If it's another book, I would think Buddy Read section would be fine.

J'mom may have another idea though.

message 29: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10085 comments Connie wrote: "Almeta, I think Kat is asking Rusalka if she has any indoor plants."

Duh! (Smacks head!) :P

message 30: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Lynn wrote: "Jmom, what about the canoe / kayak / sailboat ...... does it have to be specifically those or can it be any boat on water?

I don't live anywhere near places that would have those things but I wou..."

It doesnt specifically say it has to be on water, nor full size ;)

message 31: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Needs to be one of those, but you can be creative. I was going to go to Cabela's for a picture, but while in my JoAnnes's I came across a windchime with a really pretty sailboat on top. It's posted with my scavenger pics.

message 32: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jun 10, 2013 05:07PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I am going to a sporting goods store and take pictures of boats because I don't live near water. They sell canoes, kayaks, etc.

Of course, with my luck they have probably sold them all for Father's Day.

J'mom, I have a working fireplace, but it is so hot here that I hate to build a fire now. Could I use a fire in my barbecue grill for a campfire? That way I could get my husband to grill something for dinner and put the fire to good use.

message 33: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16851 comments After my grumble last night, I came out this morning and found the succulent on Lexx's bookshelf has burst into bloom for me. Who says whinging doesn't get you anywhere :P

I was so good on Saturday. We were at my sister in law's place for a party and they had a fire. But I didn't take a photo of it as it didn't count as we left at 11.30pm not 2am. Now I'm stuck. Maybe I'll set some stuff alight in the driveway...

message 34: by Thing Two (new)

Thing Two (thingtwo) Almeta wrote: "Ann wrote: "Sorry, I've been unavoidably detained! I should arrive at camp some time today!"

Thank Goodness Ann!

Have you seen Alexandra, Thing Two, Naomi and Joe? Are they with you?

Glad we ..."

LOL! Thing Two was READING!!! Isn't that what we're supposed to be doing at camp?

message 35: by jaxnsmom (last edited Jun 10, 2013 06:49PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Yes on the reading, except when your'e eating, dirking drinking, and causing trouble :)

I must have been drinking as I typed that one

message 36: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments T2 - did you read The Painted Bird? Is it as disturbing as I remember?

message 37: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments ****REGARDING CAMPFIRES****

If that one's giving you trouble, I will accept grills, but if it's gas, something has to catch fire! And for grill pictures, there must be marshmallows being toasted or burning in the picture.

Across the river from work, there are two little spots people put up tents and have campfires. With my luck, there won't be any this week and I'll have to burn something in my grill :) Looks like tomorrow is the best chance for no rain.

message 38: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alex2911) | 431 comments Good morning everyone,
I am only now returning to camp as real life has kicked in and we´ve received some pretty bad news as my mom has been diagnosed with cancer. But reading is a very distracting pastime and I am happy to finally check in at camp Jingalo... So, back to reading!!!

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Alexandra wrote: "Good morning everyone,
I am only now returning to camp as real life has kicked in and we´ve received some pretty bad news as my mom has been diagnosed with cancer. But reading is a very distracting..."

I am so sorry to hear your bad news Alexandra. My thoughts are with your mum, your family and yourself.

message 40: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2592 comments Thing Two wrote: "LOL! Thing Two was READING!!! Isn't that what we're supposed to be doing at camp?"

That's exactly what you're supposed to be doing Thing Two and keep on doing it! :D

(I was just a little worried that you hand't checked in at that time :) )

message 41: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2592 comments Oh sorry to hear that Alexandra :(

message 42: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2592 comments Rusalka wrote: "Maybe I'll set some stuff alight in the driveway... "

That did make me LOL, thank you :D

message 43: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16851 comments Alexandra wrote: "Good morning everyone,
I am only now returning to camp as real life has kicked in and we´ve received some pretty bad news as my mom has been diagnosed with cancer. But reading is a very distracting..."

Thinking of you both Alexandra. Been in those shoes so happy to chat if needed. Or if you just want us to distract you book talk, I am pretty sure we all are happy to oblige.

message 44: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "****REGARDING CAMPFIRES****

If that one's giving you trouble, I will accept grills, but if it's gas, something has to catch fire! And for grill pictures, there must be marshmallows being toasted ..."

GAS??? Lord, that never entered my mind!
I am going to bring out the old fashioned charcoal type and set that sucker on FIRE!
I hope you approve, Jax!

message 45: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Alexandra, keeping you and your mother close in my thoughts and prayers today.

message 46: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alex2911) | 431 comments Thank you all so very much for being so kind!!! It helps so much!

message 47: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 1994 comments Alexandra wrote: "Good morning everyone,

Sorry about your mom! Yes, reading can be a great distraction so I wish for you a real page turner. I will send good thoughts your way.

message 48: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Alexandra wrote: "Good morning everyone,

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. These things knock the wind out of us. But then, the fighting spirit takes over!

message 49: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Sorry to hear about your mother, Alexandra.

message 50: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4221 comments So sorry Alexandra.

« previous 1 3