You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Camp Happy's Activity Log

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 16, 2013 01:50PM) (new)

Not like a piece of wood, a log like on ship, a diary of events, a register of achievements.

When you have accomplished a task, shout about it here.

Use only this thread for reporting. Have one comment per person and edit it each time a new book has been read. You can easily find your thread from your name in the Camp Register.

Cathie ... 162 points
Cherie ... 12 points
Chris
Esta ... 57 points
Esther ... 62 points
Helen ... 26 points
Janice ... 36 points
Kristin ... 34 points
Lara ... 57 points
Lisa ... 57 points
Pragya ... 11 points
Roz ... 23 points
Sam ... 70 points
Sarah ... 54 Points
Snoozie Suzie ... 14 points

Camp Happy Final total 675 (as of 21:50 BST 16June2013).

Please try to remember to include the following information for each book:
1) Title
2) Pages
3) Challenge (and, if applicable a line or two as to how it fits the challenge)

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 08, 2013 09:10AM) (new)

Arts and Crafts – Read a book and do an art project or make a craft from it. Cooking a dish counts, but the recipe doesn’t have to be in a cookbook. Picture must be posted for ten extra points!

Talent Show – Read about a singer, dancer, or musician (fiction or nonfiction). Make a short video of yourself singing, dancing, or playing an instrument, and post it for fifteen extra points.

Movie Night – Read a book that was made into a movie. Pick a scene and tell how it will be/has been ruined in the movie, in decent detail for 10 extra points.

The Big Dance – Whether it was just your camp, or combined camps, this was always a highlight. I met a boyfriend there, oh to be young and silly and think you’re in love... Read a book about young love.

Campfire Stories – Read a scary book. Make it scarier by reading part of it under the covers with a flashlight.

Camp Nicknames – What was yours? Read a book written under a pen name. Be sure and tell us the author’s real name. OR Read a book where the character is using an alias, or going by a nickname (not derived from their real name).

Fun activities? What other fun activities did we have at camp? Did you ever catch fireflies? Read a fantasy.

Round Robin There were team oriented activities - round-robin songs were always popular. You’ll need 3 cabin mates for this. The 3 will read the same book and discuss it. A great way to read the June Group Read, or another book of your choosing. You will set up a separate topic for your discussion, and copy it to the Group Reads folder if qualifies. Yes, this counts as ten points for each person, or 30 points total.
The Silver Linings Playbook - Pragya, Lisa, Kristin, Cathie
The Great Gatsby - Pragya, Cathie, Sarah
Lolita - Lisa, Etsa
Moll Flanders - Cathie, Etsa, Helen

Diaries - Besides memories, you may have kept a diary, and possibly you sent post cards to family. Read a book that’s in a diary, letter, journal, or similar format.

Road Trip Ever been on a fun-filled road trip family vacation? Fighting with siblings, being yelled at by parents, ahh, what fond memories. Sometimes you don’t even remember where you were, just the wonderful quality time with family!

Road trip 1 Fighting for your share of the back seat without having to touch your brothers and sisters? Read a book that has siblings fighting.

Road trip 2 The most common phrase on a long car trip - Are we there yet??? Read a book about a long journey.

Road trip 3 Did you ever play the license plate game? Read a book set in a place you’ve never been, but would like to visit on vacation.

Camp location Was your vacation (or camp) at a mountain or beach setting? Read a book located in the opposite setting.

Camp type Theme park or historical sights? Read a YA book OR history or historical fiction.

In order to recognize the longer books being read, there will be extra points for those extra pages:
225 – 325 pages – 1 extra point
326 – 425 pages – 2 extra points
426 or more – 4 extra points

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 14, 2013 10:47AM) (new)

Helen's Reads

Title:In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex
Pages:354
Challenge:Road Trip 2 - long journey

Title: The Roots of Betrayal
Pages: 440
Challenge: Camp nicknames Written by James Forrester, who is also Ian Mortimer, the historian.

message 4: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Jun 16, 2013 03:23AM) (new)

Sarah | 18051 comments Sarah's Toppled Books!

Book 1: A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar by Suzanne Joinson
Pages: 370
Challenge: Well, this book was the perfect book for the Toppler and could have fit in to any umber of challenges. I was first going to use it as Road Trip 3: a place I've never been too but would like to but it also satisfies Road Trip 2: A Long Journey and Camp Type: Historical Fiction and Diaries as half of the book was written as a journal for some letters and telegrams in! So, I think I will go with Road Trip 2: A Long Journey.

Book 2: The Running Man The Running Man by Stephen King
Pages: 241
Challenge: Movie Night.

The whole book was completely different to the film, except The Running Man game itself and the corruption and lies that the Games Company is involved in. As so much of it is different, I have decided to compare the beginning of the book. In the book, Ben Richards, decides to apply to the Games which are shown on TV to fund his baby daughter's medical bills as she has flu and him and his wife have no money to pay. In the Movie, Ben has no family and he is entered in to the Games by no choice of his own. The contestants of those games are all supposedly convicts or "bad people". Ben isn't a bad man or convict, in fact he was set up. The beginning of the film starts with him flying a helicopter and being instructed to fire on unarmed civilians during a food riot. He says he will not do so and the others in the helicopter fight with him, knock him out and fire on the civilians. Then they make it look like he was the one who fired and is then put in the Games. In the book, their are hints at food shortages and bland food so that is similar to the movie. The book also describes Ben going through the selection process for the Games. Depending on people's physical and mental abilities, they get chosen for different types of Games. Ben is chosen for The Running Man which is a prime time show. In the film, it is all about The Running Man and no mention of other game types like the book. Just this one difference at the start gives the book and the movie very different feels and themes. I couldn't say which is better though as I really liked both. The film was very cheesy in places but then it was made in the 80's and I kind of like that about it. I felt the book had a more dystopian feel to it than the film.

Book 3: The Great Gatsby The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Pages: 180
Challenge:Round Robin unless not enough people chose to do it then I'll use it for the Movie Task but as I've not been able to see the film I cannot do a comparison as such. I suppose I could say what I think might be different though if that counts?!? The book didn't focus too much in detail on the parties and the goings on there however I think that these scenes will be really vamped up in the film with music, dancing and perhaps the romance element between Gatsby and Daisy will be much more prominent. While the book did mention their meetings and how they had met and how Gatsby felt about Daisy, there wasn't much detail about their relationship. more hinted at.

Looks like I've chosen a Blue theme!

TOTAL = 54

message 5: by Lisa (last edited Jun 15, 2013 12:45PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Lisa's Summer Camp Reads

Book 1: Stardust Stardust by Neil Gaiman
Pages: 214
Challenge: Did you ever catch fireflies? - Read a fantasy

Book 2: Forbidden Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma
Pages: 432
Challenge: The Big Dance - Read a book about young love

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Book 3: The Silver Linings Playbook The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
Pages: 289
Challenge: Round Robin

Book 4: Lolita Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Pages: 362
Challenge: Movie Night- Read a book that was made into a movie- I haven't seen the 1997 film/movie yet but I think that they need to keep the humour that was present throughout the book in the film as it lightens the whole thing up a bit and helps to make Humbert Humbert a slightly more sympathetic and human character. To remove the humour would make this tragic, unsettling tale a difficult and depressing watch. I do know that they changed the ending (view spoiler) and I actually think that this may well work better than the novel ending because it brings more definite closure to the relationship.

TOTAL POINTS: 57

message 6: by Cathie (last edited Jun 15, 2013 01:57AM) (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 915 comments Cathie's Summer Camp reading :-)

Book 1: Three Graves Full by Jamie Mason
Pages: 307
Challenge: Campfire Stories – Read a scary book.

Book 2: On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves
Pages 347
Challenge: Camp location~ Arrowhead Camp was in a bush/north wilderness setting. This book is located in an opposite setting - south seas island.

Book 3: In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Pages: 343
Challenge: Campfire Stories – Read a scary book.

Book 4: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Pages: 261
Challenge: Movie Night – Read a book that was made into a movie. Pick a scene and tell how it will be/has been ruined in the movie, in decent detail for 10 extra points.

Here is my "movie" review:

First off, I have to state that I have NOT seen the movie. This toppler does not require me to have seen it, just to speculate on why the written word may be better than the visual world. This is going to be hard, because in this day and age so much "shine" can be given to the visual.

All the pics of the movie that I have seen on the internet and posters at theatres highlight the glamour, the beautiful, the wealth, the fantastical.

The book highlights the fact that wealth is a very poor substitute for that which has no monetary value. I'm not sure the movie can depict the poverty of not being accepted or the poverty of feeling demeaned, not being able to love the one your heart desires, the loss of innocence that stems from past growing up hurts in the same way that words well written can.

In chapter 6 a reporter comes to Gatsby's mansion in order to do an interview about this life. In this part of the story, Nick (the narrator) interrupts the story and tells the true account of James Gatz's life. It adds much to the real man behind the "seen" man.

Nick retells that Gatsby was born on a North Dakota farm. He went to college, where he had to do janitorial duties in order to pay his tuition, and that he felt so humiliated doing this job that he dropped out after only 2 weeks. He then went to work on Lake Superior salmon fishing and digging for clams, where he met Dan Cody, a wealthy copper mogul. Young James Gatz realized he wanted what Cody had; this was his turning point. He was done with impoverished living. Cody liked to be on board his yacht and Gatz (Gatsby) rowed out to him one day to warn him of an impending storm; Cody was impressed that Gatz would make the effort to row out to him and he offered Jay Gatsby, the name Gatz gave to Cody, a job as his personal assistant. Together they travelled the Barbary Coast and West Indies; Gatsby fell in love with the lifestyle and wealth. When Cody died he left Gatsby $25,000 in his will but Cody's mistress wouldn't let Gatsby get the money. Gatsby then dedicates himself to becoming wealthy and "successful".

I think the movie can not do justice to the background of Gatsby's life and the emotions he felt in his growing up hidden years. In this chapter we also learn how he witnesses Cody's drinking and drunkenness and vows at this point not to touch alcohol. See the picture below why the movie is not accurate.

Also I think it is important that Fitzgerald never shows the reader a single scene from Gatsby’s affair with Daisy. The narrative is Nick’s story, and, aside from when they remake each other’s acquaintance, Nick never sees Gatsby and Daisy alone together. Fitzgerald leaves the details of their affair to the reader’s imagination, and instead exposes the menacing suspicion and mistrust on Tom’s part that will eventually lead to a confrontation.

In this age of show all, tell all in movies, I can't see this being true to the book.

The movie is visually stunning; it is a product of the Big Brother and reality show era where Gatsby would have figured in perfectly and where outrageous behaviour is rewarded and the over the top decadence is considered smart; but Fitzgerald did not pen this in 2012 and so the flavor is not true.

We like to see sex, like to see what goes on in other's bedrooms. This is not how Fitzgerald wrote about Gatsby's love.

As a humourous point (not original) ~ only in Hollywood could Leo play Gatsby
(this is totally not part of the review!)

In Titanic Leo played Jack Dawson, penniless artist who wins a ticket in 1912, attends a first class dinner, develops a taste for the finer things in life, pockets the Heart of the Ocean, and then he apparently survives the sinking, pawns the diamond, spends another 10 years building his wealth and in 1922 moves to East Egg as Jay Gatsby...millionaire with a shady past and a fear of swimming pools.

Book 5: The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
Pages: 329
Challenge: Road trip 3 ~ Read a book set in a place you’ve never been, but would like to visit on vacation - Melbourne, Australia

Book 6: Clapton by Eric Clapton
Pages 336
Challenge: Talent Show – Read about a singer, dancer, or musician.
Make a short video of yourself singing, dancing, or playing an instrument, and post it for fifteen extra points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdbrAi...

Book 7: The Complete Guide to Stamping by Alan D. Gear
Pages: 176
Challenge: Arts and Crafts – Read a book and do an art project or make a craft from it. Picture must be posted for ten extra points!

Book 8: Easy by Tammara Webber
Pages 310
Task: The Big Dance – oh to be young and silly and think you’re in love... Read a book about young love.

Book 9: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
Pages: 800!!! (But it is soooooo good!)
Task: Fun activities ~ Did you ever catch fireflies? Read a fantasy.
14 points

Book 10: Here Be Yaks Travels In Far West Tibet by Manosi Lahiri
Pages: 313
Task: Road trip 2 - Are we there yet??? Read a book about a long journey.

Book 11: Wave by Sonali Deraniyagala
Pages: 256
Task: Campfire Stories - read a scary book

Total points: 162

message 7: by Sam (last edited Jun 16, 2013 07:27AM) (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2053 comments Smiley Sam's Toppled Tales:

Book 1: The League of Gentlemen: Scripts and That read
Task: Movie Night
Pages: 603

Book 2: Beyond the Dark Tower read
Task: Campfire Stories
Pages: 234

Book 3: Feet of Clay read
Task: Fireflies
Pages: 288

Book 4: Blackadder: The Whole Damn Dynasty read
Task: Historical Sights
Pages: 480

Book 5: Cupcakes Made Simple read
Task: Arts and Crafts
Pages: 208

Total points: 70

message 8: by Pragya (last edited Jun 16, 2013 01:40PM) (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3501 comments Pragya's Reading Couch

I read The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick The Silver Linings Playbook
Pages: 289
Challenge: Round Robin

message 9: by Roz (last edited Jun 14, 2013 05:29PM) (new)

Roz | 3408 comments Roz's Camp Bookbag

Book 1 (finally):
Camp Nicknames, Pen names: Creation in Death, Written by JD Robb (real name Nora Roberts) 333 pages 12 points
Sorry it took me so long. It's been busy at work.
I'm moving on to my second one but I think I need some sleep first.

Book 2:

Road Trip 2: (Long Journey) The Wildwater Walking Club, 239 pages. 11 points.

Total points so far: 23

message 10: by Esther (last edited Jun 16, 2013 08:39AM) (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 3970 comments Esther's activity log

Camp Type (historical sights) The Kitchen House, 369 pages. 12 points

Catch fireflies (fantasy) The Night Circus, audio (387 pages) 12 points

Campire stories Odd Thomas, 399 pages. 12 points

Road trip 3 (place to visit: Hong Kong): The Piano Teacher, audio (328 pages) 12 points.

Camp Type (YA) The Book Thief 550 pages. 14 points

Total points: 62

message 11: by Esther (last edited Jun 15, 2013 10:48AM) (new)

Esther  (estame) | 467 comments Esta's Summer Camp Journal

TOTAL POINTS = 57

Book 1: Lolita
Pages: 378

Book 2: How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia
Task: Road Trip 3 - I am obsessed with the Middle East, from learning about the culture and the West's contentious history with it, to the religions, languages and lifestyles. My brother lives in East Asia (China) and one of my best friends is from Kashmir another from India so one day I hope to head that way myself.
Pages: 240

Book 3: Moll Flanders

I watched the movie that has Morgan Freeman in it, and I couldn't believe how different the movie was to the book! Nevertheless both media were highly enjoyable. The differences in the plot line were immense, so I will start with a deviation that takes place right at the beginning of the story, for the purposes of this task.
In the book it states that Moll's Mother is pregnant during a trial for theft and gives birth to her in prison - her trail/sentence postponed until she is able to give birth - In the movie they state that she is impregnated IN prison BY a prison guard.
Moll grows up as a thief, it's how she gets by from day to day but in the movie she has only ever committed one crime. These differences take place within the first few mins of the opening credits - so much so that it feels like a different story!
There are more differences but I won't ruin it for people because I know this is also a BOTM at the moment.
The movie was enjoyable though - I just couldn't stop saying "That doesn't happen in the book!".

Pages 339
Points 22

Book 4: In Cold Blood
Task: Read a scary story
Pages: 343
I absolutely loved this. The journalistic writing style made a difference to the feeling of authenticity. Definitely one I can recommend.

message 12: by Kristin (last edited Jun 15, 2013 07:24AM) (new)

Kristin | 34 comments Kristin's Summer Camp Reading List

Book 1
Tell the Wolves I'm Home
355 pages
Road Trip #1 sibling rivalry

total=12 pts

Book 2
The Silver Linings Playbook
Pages 291
Round Robin
total= 11 pts

Book 3
Wonder
Pages 315
Camp Type/Young Adult book
total=11

All done, that was fun!!!!

message 13: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments Suzie's books

message 14: by Lara (last edited Jun 14, 2013 04:53PM) (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Lara's Reading List

In cases with more than one, I'll decide on the category at the end of the challenge

Book 1
Sweet Venom, 345 pp, 6/9/13
Challenge: Camp Type--YA; the main characters are 16

Book 2
Discount Armageddon, 352 pp, 6/9/13
Challenge: Talent show-- ballroom dancing

Book 3
My Bluegrass Baby, 250 pp, 6/11/13
Challenge: Road Trip 3: I'd like to take a KY road trip to see all of the historical and bizarre sights. Not to mention the bourbon and the beautiful scenery.

Book 4
Angel's Peak, 373 pp, 6/11/13
Challenge: Camp Location - in the mountains when I was in the plains (it was flat, though forested).

Book 5
The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back, 194 pp, 6/14/13
Challenge: The Big Dance - young love, and a masquerade ball, too!

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jun 14, 2013 09:34PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 46246 comments Janice's Camp Activities

Tasks could change as the week progresses.

Talent Night:
Title: Dancer
Pages: 336 = 2 points
The book is about Rudolf Nureyev, world famous ballet dancer who defected from Russia.
Total points = 12

Movie Night:

The Help
Pages (issue I read) 522 = 4 points
10 extra points: I also watched the movie. I felt the movie left out too many important details that wouldn't have added any time to the movie, but would have made it have more impact.
(view spoiler)

Total: 24 points

Overall points: 36

message 16: by Cherie (last edited Jun 16, 2013 01:29AM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19340 comments Cherie's Summer Camp Tasks

I finally finished Moll Flanders, written by Moll Flanders, who was writing as Moll Flanders, who was writing under an alias. 339 pages, so I think that gets 12 points for Camp Nicknames

I watched the movie "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" with my daughter, but it has been too long since I read the book to write any kind of review. I did remember parts from the movie, especially when her father left and then died. My granddaughter laughed at me for crying.

I am sorry I could not earn more points for the team.

message 17: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 915 comments Hi Cherie ~waving~ :-)

message 18: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19340 comments Hi Cathie - great Dragon card! Never got into stamping or scrapbooking, but always have appreciated and admired those who have taken it up. My thumb print and a few pen marks is all I have ever done. I DO have books though!!! LOL

message 19: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 915 comments I want to see your thumb print Cherie :-)

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jun 14, 2013 09:41PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 46246 comments We are moving right along Happy Campers! Keep up the good work.

message 21: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 915 comments Flutterbys! Great ticker tape Janice!

message 22: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jun 15, 2013 06:27PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 46246 comments We jumped from 312 points yesterday to 431 today. We've got a few hours to go!!

message 23: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 915 comments Woohoooo Team Happy!! Look at that 1000 mark...it's so close! Roflao :-)

message 24: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments My total is 14 points. I read The Glass Painters Daughter where the main character is a musician. It's 450 pages long.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Snoozie Susie - your tally's been added.

message 26: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19340 comments Cathie wrote: "I want to see your thumb print Cherie :-)"

LOL! I will try to take a picture and figure out how to post it for you.

message 27: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3501 comments I'm sorry I am so late with reporting and results have been announced but I anyway, updated my scoreboard.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Pragya, that's everyone checked in, I think. And we seem to have racked up 675 points, a pretty good total, I think, for the week. Thanks for joining in everyone.

message 29: by Janice, Moderator (new)

message 30: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19340 comments In Titanic Leo played Jack Dawson, penniless artist who wins a ticket in 1912, attends a first class dinner, develops a taste for the finer things in life, pockets the Heart of the Ocean, and then he apparently survives the sinking, pawns the diamond, spends another 10 years building his wealth and in 1922 moves to East Egg as Jay Gatsby...millionaire with a shady past and a fear of swimming pools.

Cathie - I just read your comments about Leo playing Jack Dawson and Jay Gatsby. I am ROFL!!!! I loved the pictures too.

message 31: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 46246 comments I thought Cathie's comments were highly entertaining. :)