Author: Michael J. Sullivan discussion

Hollow World
This topic is about Hollow World
News and Events > Hollow World Audio Books

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Author of The Riyria Chronicles (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 164 comments Mod
While the ink is not yet dry on the contract, I think it is safe to announce that there will be an audio version of Hollow World that will be available when the ebooks go on sale on January 20th.

Recorded Books, who has done such a fabulous job with my Riyria Revelations (and is working on Riyria Chronicles) is purchasing the audio rights and as soon as I get the final copy edited version, they'll start production.

For those that are familiar with the Riyria audio versions, the first question that comes to mind may be, "Will Tim Gerald Reynolds will be narrating?" The answer is...I don't know. I love Tim and think he did a fabulous job on Riyria but Hollow World is a much different book with a very "American" vibe to it and Tim's accent, while great to provide the right feel for Riyria, may not be the right fit for Hollow World.

Bottom line, I'm going to be looking to Recorded Book for making recommendations on that front (they did such an exceptional job in the past), and unlike Riyria, I will have control over the narrator who will be performing.

I can't tell you how exciting this is. I've become a huge fan of audio books since the release of Riyria Revelations, and few self-publishing projects are in a position to provide such a format. Recording and producing an audio book is very expensive $5,000 - $10,000 and while your generous contributions made it possible that I could self-publish this...it's even better to get someone with a much more established distribution system PAY me to release the title.

I'm sure part of the decision to sign this title came from how well this Kickstarter came into being...so in the future if you hear someone say how much they loved the audio version of Hollow World, you can proudly say that you helped to make that possible.

message 2: by Nick (new)

Nick (nickanthony51) | 7 comments Congrats...

message 3: by Michael, Author of The Riyria Chronicles (new) - added it

Thanks Nick!

Amanda (athewinn) | 2 comments YAY!!!! While I am certainly the proud owner of both the kindle and hardback versions of the Riyria Revelations, the audiobook versions with Tim Gerald Reynolds will always be the "True" version of the stories for me. The way he gave a voice to each of the characters, combined with your amazing stories, made it hands down one of the top creative works I've been lucky enough to come across in my life. I'm really glad and grateful that there will be an audio version of Hollow World, and it's so great you get to have some say over the Narrator - get us a good one! :-)

P.S. Finished Crown Tower (audio version); it was great, and I'm anxiously awaiting the next installment. Will this series deal strictly with Royce and Hadrian, or will we also get some insight into other characters from the trilogy? (I know we have Gwen, but that's because she's part of R&H's story...)

Last question - do you think we'll have the opportunity to purchase hardbacks for the Chronicles series and Hollow World?

message 5: by Michael, Author of The Riyria Chronicles (new) - added it

@Amanda - so glad you love the audio books - I do too. And...I'm totally jelous because I'm still waiting for my CD's of The Crown Tower. Usually they lag the download a bit.

As to hardbacks - my agent is working with Orbit to see if sfbc.com will be buying the bookclub rights (that is where the other hardcovers came from. I'll let you guys know once I have an answer.

message 6: by Sue (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sue (sguyer) | 1 comments I'm a huge fan of audiobooks since I don't have as much time to sit and read as I used to. I have to say that the Riyria Revelations books are some of the best I have listened to. I always consider it a bonus when a great book (or series) is enhanced by a great narrator as in the MJS books. I introduced the series to by 13 year old daughter this year and she absolutely loves them. Keep them coming, in any and all formats!

message 7: by Michael, Author of The Riyria Chronicles (last edited Dec 11, 2013 04:11AM) (new) - added it

A couple of updates...the first is a really good way to hear Tim Gerard Reynolds narrating some of my work. The second puts both The Crown Tower and The Rose and the Thorn int one volume.

* Free audio version of The Viscount and the Witch

* Book club edition of Riyria Cronicles, "Blood of Thieves"