The Spice Must Flow discussion

Dune (1984) Movie

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Puxley (Kennit) | 9 comments Mod
I have actually never seen it! I've only seen the two miniseries that came out. (Loved Frank Herbert's Dune but they totally dropped the ball with Frank Herbert's Children of Dune. There's no way you can do a 3-part miniseries that encaspulates everything that happens in Messiah and Children, not even just the basics.)

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan Tinkel | 1 comments You can watch Lynchs 1984 version with a grain of salt. Max Von Sydow as Liet Kynes was great,I even enjoyed the Harkkonens (sp?).

But that's about it. I think Syfy's miniseries of DUNE was more spot on. Though William Hurt as Leto didn't work.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Puxley (Kennit) | 9 comments Mod
Oh gods, he BUTCHERED Leto.

message 4: by Jonesmikey (new)

Jonesmikey | 1 comments The SyFy miniseries stuck with the story more, but it was so boring. Lynch's was more entertaining, but really inaccurate. I love David Lynch, by the way. "Wild at Heart" is one of my favorites. I've even got a soft spot in my heart for "Eraserhead." If the only cure for your fever is buying the movie then go for it, it's only $9.99.

message 5: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (lovegestapo) | 1 comments I too love David Lynch. I own every movie he's ever made. His adaptation of Dune really is a mess, but it's a beautiful mess. The outer space effects look bad, but the sets, costumes, acting and art design all together are incredible. Frank Herbert's writing can be pretty obscure, so watching David Lynch's adaptation helped to put a clearer picture in my head of a lot of different things when I started reading the book. I'd recommend it, it's just not a "must", so to speak.