The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Hobbit - LOTR

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alice (new)

Alice | 13 comments Hey, so, I don't really want to bother you guys, but I have a question. I read the Lord of The Rings trilogy when I was about 9 years old, but I want to read it again. I am going to purchase a LOTR Trilogy + The Hobbit set soon, and I'd like to know where to start. My father told me to start by The Hobbit, but one of my friends told me The Hobbit should be the last one read.
I'd like to know if any of you has information of some kind about this.
If no one answers, I think I'll follow my dad's instructions. Thank you guys (:

message 2: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana I read LOTR before the Hobbit, and I don't think it's made me think any worse of it. the Hobbit is much more clearly for children, and reads faster, so it depends whether you want to leave that till the end. obviously it also provides the historical context for LOTR, so you can decide what you will enjoy more - drawing parallels after the Hobbit, or remembering what happened in LOTR as you read the Hobbit.

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4557 comments I think you should read the Hobbit first. It's a younger read and a prequel. That way when you get into the older and more in depth writing of LOTR, you'll already have the background. I feel like reading The Hobbit after LOTR you'd almost feel like you're taking a step backwards.

message 4: by Alice (new)

Alice | 13 comments Thank you, girls, you have realy helped me a lot.
I think I will read The Hobbit first (:
Thanks again!