Authors Helping Authors discussion

Authors helping writers > Using Review Quotes?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rinelle (new)

Rinelle Grey (rinellegrey) I know Amazon's stance is that reviews posted on Amazon can't be quoted on Author homepages, but does anyone know what is considered acceptable on GoodReads? Should you ask the author of the review, or is it OK to just use them?

message 2: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) | 16 comments It's best to get permission. I keep meaning to put a basic line on all my reviews that authors are welcome to use them but forget to do this. Technically reviews are owned by the reviewer.

message 3: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Deluca (darlenedeluca) | 1 comments Hmmm. I don't know the legalities, but it seems to me that if the reviewer is posting in public places like Goodreads where anyone can see them, you should be able to quote them. Are you using their name, too?

message 4: by MaryAnn (new)

MaryAnn Kempher (mkempher) | 2 comments I use quotations marks and write from review. For instance, "This book is the best thing since sliced bread." from review of MOCHA, MOONLIGHT, AND MURDER.

message 5: by MaryAnn (new)

MaryAnn Kempher (mkempher) | 2 comments Rinelle wrote: "I know Amazon's stance is that reviews posted on Amazon can't be quoted on Author homepages, but does anyone know what is considered acceptable on GoodReads? Should you ask the author of the review..."

I've never heard/read that. Are you saying I'm not supposed to cut/paste my reviews from Amazon to my web page?

message 6: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) | 16 comments MaryAnn wrote: "Rinelle wrote: "I know Amazon's stance is that reviews posted on Amazon can't be quoted on Author homepages, but does anyone know what is considered acceptable on GoodReads? Should you ask the auth..."

Reviews you wrote? You can use.

Reviews someone else wrote on your book Amazon claims semi-ownership although when pushed they admit the author of the review owns the review. So if you want to quote from a review your book got on Amazon you must get permission from the reviewer and include "quoted with permission". Yeah it's somewhere on their review policy page written in really confusing text.