Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

Shattered
This topic is about Shattered
Stand Alone Novels 1968-1979 > Shattered (Group Read - July 2013)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 5985 comments Mod
Well, Well, Well.... A brand new discussion thread for an old title... this just doesn't happen very often now that Koontzland is so well established. Koontzland - Dean Koontz established December 20, 2009 :-)

Shattered has been selected as a July 2013 Group Read (along with Your Heart Belongs to Me).

I have read Shattered once and I look forward to re-reading it. Shattered is an intense, short novel that takes place primarily on the road. The main characters in the story are a couple (Alex and Courtney) with an 11 year old boy (Colin) who are moving across country from Philadelphia to San Francisco.... and then there's that creepy guy in the van that is following them :-)

message 2: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 71 comments Looking forward to both group reads! :-D

message 3: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

Holly wrote: "Looking forward to both group reads! :-D"

You are Awesome!

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 283 comments Sounds good! And a short Koontz book sounds even better!! lol ;-)

message 5: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments I was going to try it by getting a used large print book, but I don't know if it's worth the money. I am trying to decide. I definitely will be reading Your Heart Belongs to Me.

message 6: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

My Heart will be Shattered if Karen B. doesn't join us :-(

message 7: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments Oh you are so funny. Thanks Dustin it's nice to be wanted!

message 8: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 71 comments Looking forward to this one as well as Your Heart Belongs to Me! :-)

message 9: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 283 comments Holly wrote: "Looking forward to this one as well as Your Heart Belongs to Me! :-)"

Me too, Holly. :-) Dustin has talked so much about Your Heart is his least favorite Koontz, that I'm curious to read it to see what I'll think of it. And Shattered is supposedly short, so I'm excited to read that, too. I'm still recovering from the over-700 page False Memory outing I went on with DK. ;-)

message 10: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 71 comments :-)

I'm curious as well. Oh, False Memory is one of my favorites!!! What did you think of it?

message 11: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 283 comments Holly wrote: ":-)

I'm curious as well. Oh, False Memory is one of my favorites!!! What did you think of it?"

It was great! I really enjoyed it, especially after I got past the first 87 pages. My review is here if you'd like to read my thoughts. :-)

message 12: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 71 comments Great, glad you enjoyed it!

message 13: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments Dustin, well your heart can stay together my used large print copy of Shattered arrived yesterday. But instead of doing more reading right now I am doing less, as I have decided that in spite of my brown thumb I am going to try growing some plants. I've been buying plants the way I tend to buy books. gung ho!

message 14: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

Summer is a great time to buy plants :-) I'm nearly finished with Whispers so I'll be starting Your Heart Soon. However this is the Shattered Discussion topic so I'm getting a little off topic here.

Christine | 332 comments I finished Shattered a yesterday. It was suspenseful but predictable, also a very fast read considering I have other books going at the same time. I thought the book was dated.

Sarah (sarahlml) I finished Shattered last night, a nice quick read, full of suspense and kept me wanting to read. I agree that the book is a little dated. I thought it was an OK read, nothing really exciting or different.z

message 17: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

I really liked it when I read it 4-5 years ago. I didn't get around to re-reading it in July :-(

message 18: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments Okay now should I read Shattered today or head right into House of Thunder ? Decisions ... decisions... Well I hurt myself and can't do too much physically today so it might be a good day to read the July book. What also makes it difficult for me is that my other addiction (Doctor Who) is calling me to read the huge book of Doctor Who History that just arrived today.

message 19: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 283 comments Oops, lol...I actually read one of the July group reads in July! I read Shattered on the 26th and 27th. It was an okay, quick read, but I gave it just two "okay" stars. I didn't really connect with any of the characters. They were very (too) two-dimensional for me.

I was also very disappointed by the ending. Why did he spend so much time throughout the book with the police only to not show their involvement in the finish? I was let down. :(

My review is here if anyone would like to read it. I don't think I said anything in it that I didn't say above, but I did expand a bit on my thoughts. :)

message 20: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 283 comments Karen B wrote: "Okay now should I read Shattered today or head right into House of Thunder ? Decisions ... decisions... Well I hurt myself and can't do too much physically today so it might be a good day to re..."

Karen, I' m so sorry to hear that you hurt yourself! I hope you're okay and nothing is broken or bleeding. I also hope that diving into the works of DK will take your mind off your pain.

message 21: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments Thanks Jen, so far diving into Shattered has not engaged me. I've never had a Koontz book before take so long to capture my attention. In fact I am only on here now because I stopped reading so I wouldn't fall asleep. Nothing is broken just bruised. It's weird ... can't turn the steering wheel too well but well enough to get down the corner to Wawa and got a sub for supper. Can't hold the phone to my ear. Can't water the flowers. The weather isn't helping me stay awake. I even drank coffee and had a Bayer for Migraine which also has caffeine in it.

Christine | 332 comments Karen B wrote: "Okay now should I read Shattered today or head right into House of Thunder ? Decisions ... decisions... Well I hurt myself and can't do too much physically today so it might be a good day to re..."

I see you are a fellow Doctor Who fan. Did you know they are announcing the new Doctor tomorrow????

message 23: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments oh yes and there is someone else on this list who is a big Doctor Who fan. I'll blame my anxiousness over hearing that news for my finding this book very dull. Oh was that me? Saying that a Koontz book was dull? Yeh so far for me it is.

message 24: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

I remember really liking it - maybe because it was short. I may still get around to re-reading Shattered in the near future.

Which Doctor Who Series should I start with? It is so confusing because this show has been around for so long. I started watching the show on DVD once and stopped after the mannequins came alive.