You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > July 2013 - Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (last edited Jun 08, 2013 04:00AM) (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments By ONE vote, the winner for the July Theme is Books of Short Stories.

A few things to keep in mind when nominating:

- To allow enough time for as many people as possible to read, try and limit the page count to approximately 400 pages maximum.
- To ensure the book is available for as many readers as possible, please consider whether your nomination is 1) still in print or 2) available as a reasonably-priced e-book (under $12) or 3) published no less than 3 months ago. These are not requirements of course, but suggestions :)

Also, if there are more than 10 nominations total, we will use the first nomination of each person. If there are more than 10 'first nominations' I will use random.org to determine which books are included for voting - long lists make it quite awkward when it comes to voting :)

Nominations close June 14

message 2: by Almeta (last edited Jun 08, 2013 04:19AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 9952 comments Little Black Book of Stories
Byatt, A.S.

or

Winesburg, Ohio
Anderson, Sherwood

message 4: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Jun 08, 2013 07:00AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16478 comments Neil Gaiman writes some fantastic short stories. So I nominate Smoke and Mirrors Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman as that one I haven't read yet (Fragile Things is great).

message 6: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18049 comments Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse Only heard of this book this week but has some good authors listed - Stephen King, George R.R Martin, and Orson Scott Card to name a few.

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 46204 comments I'm not sure if you would count this book, Full Dark, No Stars as short stories or four novellas. If you rule this book to be short stories, I will nominate it.

message 8: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1030 comments Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman

Because Rusalka beat me to my nomination......and I have both on my to-read list

message 9: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments Don't look now by Daphne du Maurier

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Burton (goneabroad71) | 53 comments always a lover of classics, I would love it if we read either:
* The Collected Stores of O. Henry (I can't find the right edition on Goodreads, but Amazon has one that is 224 pages, and available in kindle format as well as paperback) Everyone knows "The Gift of the Magi," but he wrote so many other brilliant, surprising stories. And I always learn new words when I read him :-)

OR

* The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson. Again, she is well known for one of her stories, but I'd love to explore and discuss what else she has to offer!

message 11: by Almeta (last edited Jun 12, 2013 03:30AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 9952 comments Michelle wrote: "always a lover of classics, I would love it if we read either:
* The Collected Stores of O. Henry (I can't find the right edition on Goodreads, but Amazon has one that is 224 pages, and available ..."

Love O'Henry's The Last Leaf

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.