The Next Best Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rui (new)

Rui Hi! I'm new here so i'm still figuring out the stuff around here..

But anyway, I'm looking for books on mythology, especially on Greek and Egyptian ones.

I'm not looking for fiction books, more like textbooks, or an introduction to all the important characters, their stories and things like that.

Preferably not too simple that 5 year olds read it as their bedtime story, but also not too complex that only historians understand =)

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane | 221 comments I bought Mythology An Illustrated Encyclopedia - Edited by Richard Cavendish with Consultant Editor Trevor O. Ling has been my best source on mythology. I bought a copy on Barnes and Noble sale table years ago. It doesn't focus on Greek and Egyptian but covers a lot of territory around the world.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark Likes | 19 comments I read a lot of mythology as a boy but the only text book I can remember is by Edith Hamilton.

message 4: by Noelle (new)

Noelle | 18 comments I think the best one is Bulfinch's Mythology, all of the important Gods are in there and it's quite easy to pick it up and read and put it down, it's a good reference book, but still enjoyable no matter what your age.

message 6: by Kyly (new)

Kyly (mermaid121) how about :d'aulares book of Greek myths ( I don't know if i spelled that correctly.)

message 7: by Nicolas (new)

Nicolas Wilson | 2 comments D'aulaires was a lot of fun. Edith Hamilton is another great one. If you want alternative mythologies, too, Elijah's Violin is superb.