Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > The Great Free Book Debate

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments I often see people arguing over the merits (or otherwise) of authors offering books for free for promotion purposes. Some people use it as a good marketing tool and some people see it as akin to satan's work. I also see readers snapping up free books left, right and centre and some who avoid them and would never read a free book.

I have decided to host a debate, both camps can put forward their views, including readers. Questions will be asked and opinions can be vented but it will not get nasty.

If you think you might like to be involved, either as an author or a reader please email me at libraryoferana@yahoo.co.uk stating:

Author - for freebies.
Author - against freebies.
Reader - for freebies.
Reader - against freebies.

If I get enough responses it could be a regular thing.

message 2: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Byrne (katarina66) | 26 comments i think this will make a good debate. I often do the free thing with my series of shorts, but it does not lead to any more sales nor even reviews - so what's the point?

message 3: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments Yes. I think some people get a lot of benefit but many don't and some even say it hurts sales.

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma Faragher | 31 comments As a reader I love to find free books but often end up not reading them, mostly because you can't just get samples for them. Which I would normally use to see if I wanted the full book.
As a writer I plan to start doing offers when I've got a few more books out or on short stories to get readers interested, but I can't afford to offer all my books for free all the time. I've found quite a few series by buying a free (or reduced price) first book in series and simply having to get the next one but it only really works if the next one is already out.

message 5: by Livi (new)

Livi Best (ol040388) | 8 comments There is a sort of stigma involved with free books, I suppose, but it really is a good marketing tool for indie authors. Visibility in the sea of infinite titles is priceless, in my opinion. At least you will pick up a few new readers who will enjoy your style. I think that you definitely have to go about it strategically by making author pages or other methods with which fans can follow you in the future.

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian Stewart (goodreadercomIanStewart) | 41 comments This subject is also discussed in another thread, Review rant.

message 7: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments I think it is one of those topics which gets discussed often. I know on the KDP forums there are some quite vociferous people in the "against" camp.

message 8: by Rosanita (new)

Rosanita I think offering a free book during a promotional period is fine (think flash sale), for review purposes and during a giveaway with a limited number of free copies. But, let's face it: free doesn't have value. Why not offer the title for $0.99? I think writing is a craft and quality writing should have a price tag attached to it. If the book is good, people will read it and the word will spread about it and your writing. As a reader, I think of free as lazy marketing and that the author doesn't value their own writing enough to put a price tag on it.