UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past Group Book Discussions > The Love of a Lifetime

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Jun 08, 2013 03:08AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments The Love of a Lifetime

Sorry, this changed names but I can't find the new title yet!

An Oak Tree 3 star recommendation

The Love of a Lifetime

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments That's the new title, Simon.

Was called Richard Wilde. Which was a much better title, in my opinion.

I loved this book.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments Right, maybe I'll give this another go as it really bored me first time and i didn't finish it.

message 4: by Oak Tree (new)

Oak Tree | 50 comments This story, previously published under the title Richard Wilde, concerns an old man, facing his death, who is looked after by a young woman and her small son, who move into his house to care for him. He has been a professional soldier in India and we are treated to the story of his life and the secrets it contains.

Reviewers loved the characters, their depth, humanity and compassion. The story is beautifully emotive without descending to sentimentality. We give this three acorns. A Must Read book.

message 5: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments I love this one. I really think the publishers (she published first as an indie and was 'discovered') did the book no favours by changing the name. I'd never have read a book with this title!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I know! It makes this book sound like a Mills and Boon! Although romance is part of the story, there is so much more to it than that. There are darker themes within it too and a real twist to the ending which delivers quite a punch! The characterisation is very good and there is a strong mystery element to it as well. I must try to read it again - it's a couple of years since I last read this.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments OK, but I'm reading the wonderful Bring Up the Bodies at the mo, so it will be next on my list :)

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen | 11 comments I have read Richard Wilde 3 times - dont know if I would have been tempted with the new title

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments Do you realise, that's three Karen's in a row!!! Do we get a prize?

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments You get one of our many Davids...

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments Er...maybe I'll pass on that, ta. One bloke to keep in line is quite enough.

message 12: by Steven (new)

Steven | 202 comments i also read this as Richard Wilde and agree with the comments about the title. they've done the same to one of her other books as well. publishers... who needs them lol! it's a wonderful story so i'd urge anyone who hasn't read it not !be put off by the dreadful title.

Victoria (daisyduck) (daisyduck1976) | 137 comments I LOVED Richard Wilde, but also agree that Love of a Lifetime totally misrepresents the content of the novel. It implies that a love story is the centrepiece of the plot, when it certainly isn't.

I imagine the publishers looked at it, knew it was good, but thought Richard Wilde was too ambiguous. How will people know what genre it is? Let's make it sound like Chicklit. And then let's give it a cover that implies historical chicklit. Let's ignore the fact that it's neither.

If I saw that on a bookshelf. I would walk right on by, which is a great shame.