UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past Group Book Discussions > Porterhouse Blue

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Jun 08, 2013 05:21AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Porterhouse Blue

A tribute to Tom Sharpe who died last week. Also a very funny book

Portorhouse Blue

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Think I saw the film. Haven't read the book. Would it be a good holiday read?

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Perfect holiday read Patti!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Okay. I'll buy it.

message 5: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments David Jason - brilliant! Seen it on stage too, but never read the book. Now's the time...

message 6: by Andy (new)

Andy Elliott | 1524 comments Love that book, so will definitely re-read it this month. Hate to be a pedantic bore, but it's "Porterhouse Blue", not "Blues". It's quite relevant to the plot!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Well spotted. Unwanted s removed

message 8: by Mago (new)

Mago (Mark) | 1750 comments Will be reading this although it might be a busman's holiday.

message 9: by Andy (new)

Andy Elliott | 1524 comments Mago (Mark) wrote: "Will be reading this although it might be a busman's holiday."

I truly hope that you don't have the level of debauchery and indulgence depicted at Porterhouse within the walls of Carnatic. Greenbank, maybe (quite a few of the ducks went missing just before the 1999 May Ball...)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Mago (Mark) wrote: "Will be reading this although it might be a busman's holiday."

I had to have Dave explain what a busman's holiday is. Never heard that before.

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9057 comments Loved this when I read it. Was along time ago though so probably about time I read it again. Wonder if I still have the paperback?

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2333 comments Another I'd read a few years ago, and enjoyed. Not sure I feel like reading it again at the mo

message 13: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Initially I wasn't keen on this one, it took me a couple of readings to get into it. Then I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments I enjoyed the book. It wasn't as manic as 'The Throwback' for action but the chapter where Zipser is trying desperately to dispose of the 'FL's' was so funny. It spans a long time for some attitudes, the strait laced attitude to sex but the remarks about class and the political manoeuvres are so timeless as to be current.

message 15: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy Rafferty (jimmyra) | 4 comments One of the few Tom Sharpe books 'clean' enough to be done on TV - very good, but not his best. Just re-read 'The Throwback', and re-read the South African ones recently as well. One of my favorite authors.